It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese pop sensation not a real person.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I didn't know where exactly to put this, so I put it in "other". My apologies also if this has been posted, but I looked all around here and couldn't find it.

It turns out that one of Japans most popular pop sensations is not even a real person, but a CGI. And apparently this isn't the first time this has happened over there.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I don't know whether to laugh at this or to be disturbed by it. The advances that we have made in imaging is impressive, there is no doubt about that. But the first thing that crossed my mind when reading this story is that project Bluebeam doesn't seem so much of a far-fetched idea anymore.

Personally, I'm seeing more negative attributes to this than positive ones. What is the attraction in idolizing a CGI over a real person?

What are your thoughts?
edit on 24-6-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: Clarity

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

nothing new my friend..

Gorillaz is a British musical project created in 1998 by Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett. This project consists of the Gorillaz music itself and an extensive fictional universe depicting a "virtual band" of cartoon characters. This band is composed of four animated members:

wikki

and you have connected this to project bluebeam..
i think ive heard it all now...

Personally, I'm seeing more negative attributes to this than positive ones. What is the attraction in idolizing a CGI over a real person?

again nothing new.... millions of children do this daily.. eg shrek, buzz lighyear, micky mouse etc
did you not love or idolize a cartoon character when you were a child?

edit on 24/6/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I understand how popular virtual worlds, virtual real estate, etc... are, but what caught my attention here was how the fans didn't even know that she wasn't real at the start of this "girls" career. Hence the project Bluebeam reference.

I know this is all lighthearted fun at this point, but who's to say that it won't escalate if enough money and/or power is involved? Personally, I don't think it's that much of a stretch to assume that. Besides which, the imaging here was good enough to fool tens of thousands of fans, what else is out there right now being shown to people that they think is real but is actually not?

I know, I sound like a conspiracy theorist huh?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

In Japan people will even pay to
go to a concert with a holographic performer.

Though the high resolution in the link is a whole nother level.
Odd that they would keep it secret at first though.
Betrayal is not something fans forget.

David Grouchy

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber.

Those two CAN'T be real.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Are you advertising your project?

Those are cartoon characters, and yes, I watched cartoons when I was younger. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I idolized Elmer Fudd though. I knew he wasn't real because it was obvious, what happened in Japan was that some people got together and decided it was a good idea to intentionally deceive people into thinking that a CGI was real for the purpose of........who knows what?

And it worked.

edit on 24-6-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The difference here is that people didn't know/weren't told that she wasn't a real person... just like the movie S1m0ne (2002). I do think there is Bluebeam potential here and I can't understand why anyone would not.

edit on 24/6/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

In Japan people will even pay to go to a concert with a holographic performer.

people all around the world have been paying since 1998 to see the gorillaz in a huge arena on a big screen.. they even headlined one of the biggest music festivals in the world.. glastonbury..

this is just regeneration of an old idea..

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Obama goggles anyone?

This technology has been available for a while, imagine the potential for it politically!

Program your perfect presidential candidate based on a national profile of the population made extremely easy through the use of social networking sites such as Facebook.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Are you advertising your project?

i dont know what you mean by this... if your suggesting that im advertising the gorrilaz as a "project" of mine, then you are very much mistaken..

gorrilaz have been around since 1998 and have sold millions of albums worldwide...

I watched cartoons when I was younger. I knew he wasn't real because it was obvious..

most young childrens brains cannot comprehend the difference between a character and reality and many are not aware these cartoon characters are not real..
even when they understand carttons/cgi/puppets from reality, these characters are still idolised..

what happened in Japan was that some people got together and decided it was a good idea to intentionally deceive people into thinking that a CGI was real for the purpose of........who knows what?

my first thought would be money... and as it has already been done as mentioned above and i know gorillaz are huge in japan.. im sure these guys saw an opportunity to make some coin..

there is nothing sinister here... the Japanese generally love this weird this animated stuff

edit on 24/6/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
most young childrens brains cannot comprehend the difference between a character and reality and many are not aware these cartoon characters are not real..

That is a ridiculous statement! You don't have children nor do you really know what you're talking about do you? Your relating this story to comic characters just isn't relevant...

This is... what happens when world leaders begin using holography to deliver their speeches? Would we really know that that leader is indeed the one broadcasting it? Would we even know if that leader was still alive?

edit on 24/6/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Eguchi is a digital composite combining the physical characteristics of six other members' faces.

Interesting use of some sort of photoshop technique.

The world gets stranger by the day.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Milli Vanilli wasn't real either

I still love this song though!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Now THERE'S a positive you can take out of this.

I can see it now. There's an election with 2 real candidates and one CGI candidate. The CGI gets the majority of the votes by a landslide. Who gets the presidency when the people have clearly voted for one who is not physically real ?

The majority rules in a Democracy right? I guess at that time we'd really see if this is a Democracy.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

What I meant by the advertising remark was that even though the Gorillaz have been around for 13 years, that doesn't mean that YOU did not start it and you're trying to get new viewers through this forum. I'm not saying that YOU are trying to do this, I'm just saying that it's not an un-heard of concept. That, and the fact that I find it hard to believe that you would compare characters that are obviously cartoon figures to a figure that had many people confused as to whether it was real or not.

If saw a television performance of this "person" before it was revealed that it wasn't real , I would have thought it was real as well and I'm 46 years old.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

no it is not a ridiculous statement... young children cannot discern reality from fiction, many children believe these characters to be real... and im talking about toddler age...

the reason im talking about this is because i was highlighting a point from the op, talking about idolizing fictional characters.. which we have all done since early childhood.... so i dont understand what is so suprising here about this story...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Have you ever seen the "Friends" episode where Phoebe was doing the smelly cat voice over and didn't even now it?

Phoebe and Milli ought to do a song together.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I think this is the begining of the end for actors..
This is the actor of the futur, can you imagine the actors doing impossible things..

The end of high price actors... Maybe good for the people who idolise the stars and how beautiful and skinny they
are, maybe they will stop trying to imitate them when they are all real fakes.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

no it is not a ridiculous statement... young children cannot discern reality from fiction, many children believe these characters to be real... and im talking about toddler age...

the reason im talking about this is because i was highlighting a point from the op, talking about idolizing fictional characters.. which we have all done since early childhood.... so i dont understand what is so suprising here about this story...

Do you have any reliable studies to back up this claim or are you speaking from personal experience? If it's the former, I'd really like to see them. It would mean that my daughter is an absolute genius for recognizing that Spongebob and Woody were not real "people" when she was 7 years old.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

What I meant by the advertising remark was that even though the Gorillaz have been around for 13 years, that doesn't mean that YOU did not start it and you're trying to get new viewers through this forum.

the gorrilaz have sold between 25-30 million albums worlwide.. i dont think damon albarn needs to advertise his band on a conspiracy website. that is a ridiculous suggestion...

and the fact that I find it hard to believe that you would compare characters that are obviously cartoon figures to a figure that had many people confused as to whether it was real or not.

no im comparing the CONCEPT of a made up artist or band... this is exactly the same thing as the gorrillaz, although technology has moved on a bit since 1998... and they dont need to use cartoon characters anymore..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join