It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge tells boyfriend to remove abortion billboard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
This is an interesting one. Free speech rights? Harassment? Fathers rights? Right to privacy?

Judge tells boyfriend to remove abortion billboard

A state district judge Thursday ordered an Alamogordo man to immediately take down a billboard that implies his ex-girlfriend had an abortion.

State District Judge James Counts issued the ruling as part of protective order the woman sought after Greg Fultz, 35, took out the sign on the city's main thoroughfare in mid-May.

The billboard shows Fultz holding the outline of an infant. The text reads, "This Would Have Been A Picture Of My 2-Month Old Baby If The Mother Had Decided To Not KILL Our Child!"

I can understand the father being upset. I can understand the woman wanting her privacy. I can understand the 'free speech' part of this - if someone killed my child I'd be ticked and want to scream. I can understand the harassment charges. I don't know which way this will fall ... but it'lll be interesting.

A picture of the billboard is at the link. It doesn't show the abortion - just a black spot where the baby should be. But I'm pretty sure the billboard shows a picture of the woman involved.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
This case actually makes it difficult to weight free speech rights vs. protection from harassment. My gut leans towards free speech by default but it's extremely hard to defend this man's provocative vitriol.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Oh yes, we've seen the guy in another thread.
Think it was the right move by the Judge.
Sure people can argue about the man's choice or free speech, but in the end it was an out of order thing to do.
He's been airing this billboard - he's had his say, now take it down and behave like an adult worthy of having children.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
In the other thread, it was discovered that he didn't even know if his girlfriend had an abortion or not. She and her girlfriends said she had a miscarriage. He assumed she was lying and put up this billboard. He also made up a pro-life organization to put on the billboard. N.A.N.I. His girlfriends name is Nani.

Judge did the right thing.

Here's the other thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 6/24/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
, but in the end it was an out of order thing to do..

I agree it was a nasty thing to do. VERY nasty. But was it ILLEGAL? Would the order to take the board down be a violation of his free speech? Was putting it up a violation of her privacy? Would making him take it down set up infringments upon free speech in the future ... free speech based on what is 'nice' as opposed to what is legally allowed?

I dunno' the answer. I can see both sides of this. What he did was awful, but does he have a right to do it and should that right be protected? And when the woman has an abortion and tells people about it, does her right to privacy about a 'medical procedure' go out the window because she told people she did it?

This is interesting.
If a dead child weren't involved .... so sad.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
In the other thread,

Is there already a thread by this title? Musta missed it.
Do you have a link?
Edited ... never mind ... you just edited and posted

He assumed she was lying and put up this billboard

If that turns out to be the case then the judge was 100% correct.

edit on 6/24/2011 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

Okay .. just looked at the link .... it was a free speech title ... no wonder I missed it.
edit on 6/24/2011 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
No biggie. That thread didn't have the judge's ruling. I'm glad to hear his decision. It's the right one, IMO.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I can tell you I just came from that town. I saw the Billboard, it was pretty jacked up what he did, but tell you what, that place is nice, but the people are all nuts.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I think it's a little askew that the judge ordered Fultz to take the sign down. Why not order the billboard company that put the sign up to take it down? I guess the difference is that if the judge had ordered the advertiser to take the sign down, they would have had to give Fultz a partial refund. I imagine the judge must have been reluctant to try to force his will on a company that had the financial wherewithal to oppose the decision. Of course, I may just be reading too much into this.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

LOL no the picture on the billboard is the ex boyfriend.

I'm glad he did this. Men need more say so in situations like this, if she did in fact get an abortion. If she did have a miscarriage then she would have gone to the hospital and kept there for a few days to make sure she was stable.

Nobody supports a man who doesn't want the child and refuses pay child support. But a man such as this wants the child and the same people get into an uproar when he yells that he wanted the child that the mother aborted.

I don't see how these people can have things both ways.

If the mother didn't want the child then she should have it and give all rights to the child to the father and go her way. Unless of course there is danger to the womans health. There needs to be some changes regarding this topic.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming
If she did have a miscarriage then she would have gone to the hospital and kept there for a few days to make sure she was stable.

That's not true at all. Many times a woman who miscarries goes in for a D&C (outpatient) and she's all done. It's no one's business whether she had a miscarriage or an abortion.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The fact that this woman is his girlfriend and not his wife tells me starting a family wasn't on the top of his list. He's a 35 year old man not a naive schoolboy. Did he post a billboard asking the public if he should have unprotected sex with his girlfriend?

It's as simple as knowing the values of the person you're having sex with. If you don't want to concern yourself beforehand don't be surprised by the outcome.

Imo he and his child are victims of his own ignorance and neglect. Modern men know abortion is a reality. If you value your fatherly rights you need to decide in advance whether those rights are as important as the need for unprotected sex.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

What if they were in a happy relationship, should she have still gone through 9 months of pregnancy and then childbirth before leaving him just to keep this guy happy with a child and not the woman he claims to love?

The judge had every right to order this immature man-child to remove the billboard.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think he has every Right to do what he wants until he harms her in some way. This is not harassment in my opinion and if it is untrue she can sue for libel/slander...

Bad Judge!

new topics

top topics

join