It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

scientists determine last meal of 5000 year old ice man.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Otzi the Iceman, a well-preserved natural mummy of a Chalcolithic (Copper Age) man from about 3300 BC, who was found in 1991 in the Schnalstal glacier in the Ötztal Alps, near Hauslabjoch on the border between Austria and Italy.
South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology

In a presentation at the Seventh World Congress on Mummy Studies, researchers from the Institute for Mummies and the Iceman revealed that they had finally located the iceman known as Otzi’s stomach and determined his last meal. They were also able to successfully sequence his entire genome.

upon examination and sequencing of the DNA, they determined that Otzi had eaten Alpine ibex just 30 to 120 minutes before his death.

Otzi had suffered some form of blunt force trauma to two teeth only a few days before his death.

They also showed how he suffered from periodontal disease and many cavities. These signs of cavities confirm the fact that the Iceman had consumed a diet full of carbohydrates.

She reported that her team had finally succeeded in sequencing Otzi’s full genome

i think it is amazing, that science has developed so much we can tell what a 5000 year old mummy ate 30-120 minutes before his death.. we can also get his entire genome and tell even what colour eyes he had..

While most artists performing facial reconstructions of Otzi have shown him with blue eyes, the new sequenced genome show that he probably had brown eyes.

hopefully they will continue this kind of resarch to help us in understanding the activities and lives of our distant relatives

for full article please follow link

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Its crazy isnt it?

we're so clever!

.....so why do we act so stupid. lol

thanks for sharing, I didnt know about this guy.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by lifecitizen

You DID NOT know Ötzi before?! "then why do we act so stupid, lol."

You tell us.... seriously... you guys over there have any idea of what is happening outside of the US?!

Ötzi was found 20 years ago.... 20 'fin years ago. And his last meal was discoered in 2002 as far as I remember..

Meh, thanks for sharing, though. Who knows, maybe there are still some people that need to be, I'll say polite, "informed".

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kemal

You tell us.... seriously... you guys over there have any idea of what is happening outside of the US?!

Ötzi was found 20 years ago.... 20 'fin years ago. And his last meal was discoered in 2002 as far as I remember..

Meh, thanks for sharing, though. Who knows, maybe there are still some people that need to be, I'll say polite, "informed".

Wow... you really took that personal. Did you know the guy or something? Was Otzi a friend of yours? I didn't know about this either, because in the grand scheme of things I could care less about some stupid mummy and what he ate before he died. It's a pretty cool and interesting story, but why get so worked up over the fact that some people have never heard about it? Instead of scientists figuring out what a mummy ate before he died, perhaps they could utilize their scientific skill in a more productive way to help mankind.
edit on 24-6-2011 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Yes, he has been out of the ice for a while now, although they still keep him frozen while they continue to study him.

I bought a book years ago that had a complete description of his body, including photos of his tattoos, and all of his clothing and belongings that he carried.

The book was from 2003. For those interested, here is the info for it:

Angelika Fleckinger
Ötzi, the Iceman

The Full Facts at a Glance

120 pages, photos, 11,5 x 20 cm , € 10,00, ISBN 3-85256-244-9

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Ötzi was found 20 years ago.... 20 'fin years ago.
Well if he never appeared on American Idol, how could we possibly be expected to know about him?

Just kidding, but seriously, finding him was pretty old news. The findings about stomach contents is apparently recent news however.

Originally posted by Misterlondon
i think it is amazing, that science has developed so much we can tell what a 5000 year old mummy ate 30-120 minutes before his death.. we can also get his entire genome and tell even what colour eyes he had..
You kinds have those backwards, don't you? Slicing a gut open with a knife and looking at what's inside isn't all that hi-tech. Actually the article doesn't say exactly how they determined the stomach contents. Perhaps they stuck a long needle into his stomach and extracted a sample to keep him relatively intact, instead of cutting him open? But sequencing the genome, and figuring out what it says, that truly is one of the great technological advancements of modern man IMO. So two thumbs up for that!

It's amazing they found this guy in such well-preserved condition. Too bad he had cavities, I'm guessing they didn't have dentists back in those days?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Stop assuming will you? There are many who knows a lot that goes on outside the US. Some of them give a rats a$$ and some dont.

Do you know anything and everything that is happening in the US all the time?

edit on 24-6-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Im not from the US, unless of course, the US is now in the southern hemisphere

And I can't know everything, I don't get that much time to be online and informed, I work, I have a child, I have relationships, I run a house by myself.

so meh to your post too, thanx for bothering to share just to put someone down

top topics

join