It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News.. Brownsville Levee Near Cooper Nuclear Plant in Nebraska Just Broke! Here We Go !!!!

page: 25
<< 22  23  24   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by shooterbrody
reply to post by jonnywhite

"Estimates are that up to 100,000 or more people died as a result of Chernobyl up till now. But between 1995 and 2005 in the US alone over 200,000 died from coal power plant emissions. New safety measures that were implemented after 2001 have reduced the losses by almost half, but it doesn't erase the stark numbers of people who have died over the past several decades. And god knows how many have died in China or elsewhere across the world!"

Source for the deaths from coal power plant emissions between 1995 and 2005 please.
Otherwise I call B.S.!

I work in a coal power plant and have for the last 10 years. If your bs made up statistics were true I and all my coworkers would be dead!

I will not argue that coal plants are good for the environment but they are not even remotely as bad as they are made out to be: and until we change our grid and move away from a load based electrical system we are stuck with coal. The sun doesn't shine all the time and the wind doesn't blow all the time.

Not that I want anyone to be jobless but come on folks aren't we smart enough to come up with something else. We have been given intelligence and imagination this is something we could solve if we invested and put our minds to it.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I and all of the coworkers at my plant wont be jobless for at least the next 50 years. Where you going to plug in those fancy new green electric cars?
Ultimately the problem is not coal or nuke the problem is the grid structure. Money has to be dumped into r&d for industrial batteries, hydro, and grid restructuring.
They are doing some cool stuff with hydro in europe, but it is on a very small scale.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I and all of the coworkers at my plant wont be jobless for at least the next 50 years. Where you going to plug in those fancy new green electric cars?
Ultimately the problem is not coal or nuke the problem is the grid structure. Money has to be dumped into r&d for industrial batteries, hydro, and grid restructuring.
They are doing some cool stuff with hydro in europe, but it is on a very small scale.

I am not sure that is the solution buy it would buy time while one was found. I just think maybe we are overlooking something. Somebody dig up Tesla's papers.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

reply to post by jonnywhite

Source for the deaths from coal power plant emissions between 1995 and 2005 please.
Otherwise I call B.S.!

www.ecomall.com...
www.scientificamerican.com...
www.catf.us...
www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.the9billion.com...

I work in a coal power plant and have for the last 10 years. If your bs made up statistics were true I and all my coworkers would be dead!

I will not argue that coal plants are good for the environment but they are not even remotely as bad as they are made out to be: and until we change our grid and move away from a load based electrical system we are stuck with coal. The sun doesn't shine all the time and the wind doesn't blow all the time.

www-958.ibm.com...

For every one death caused by nuclear power 4,000 die from coal. I think it's pretty clear here which energy form is safer.

edit on 2-7-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
www.mass.gov...

" All sources of fuel combustion, including power plants, cars, buses, trucks and wood burning, as well as some industrial processes, generate fine particles"

Most of your sources listed fine particles as the cause of health related pollution problems. I spent some time looking at how they sorted the particles from power plants and other combustion sources and found nothing.

www.catf.us...

"Specifically, Abt Associate’s analysis finds that fine particle pollution from
existing coal plants is expected to cause nearly 13,200 deaths in 2010."

"Most of these pollutants originate from combustion sources such as
power plants, diesel trucks, buses, and cars."

Again they cite fine particle pollution yet fail to divulge how they sorted the pollution.

Without showing stats for other combustion sources the statistics are worthless.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Textreply to post by Nosred

With what you have there sure its safer. But think of it this way. if you blow up a coal plant all you have is lots of fire... You blow up a nuke plant you have the potential to kill many thousands.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellforge

With coal plants it's not necessary for it to blow up to kill people, they kill people as part of standard operation with air pollution.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I think I may have had an epiphany.

Nuclear technology is and has been safe since it's inception and all of the hype about the effects have been nothing but fear mongering.

Nah...

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

That first link was a list of accidents with nuclear weaponry, nuclear reactors are not the same things as nuclear bombs.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

That is true but remeber there are enough nuclear plants to kill us all many times over. However Damn near everythings bad for you these days. I smoke so yay for cancer!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
reply to post by Hellforge

With coal plants it's not necessary for it to blow up to kill people, they kill people as part of standard operation with air pollution.

It's not necessary for nuclear plants to blow up to kill people, they kill people as part of standard operation with radioactive contamination "leaks"

edit on 10-7-2011 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Wow, you wouldn't be like the rest of the American workers who lose their job in their field, re-train, and work in a different industry...........you're "that special" "your" job has to be protected at "all" costs?????

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalBlue

So you're complaining because people aren't losing their jobs? Says a lot about the so called "green movement" / fossil fuel supporters.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Greetings:

Meanwhile, back to the Fukushima World-Killer Nuke Meltdowns and the [color=limegreen]continuing radiation poising of our land, food and children - 24/7/365.

zorgon, what is your take on this?

Well, I spent three weeks following that Fukushima story doggedly... then in the end I found out three things...

1) Except for a handful of people and those that live in the area... NO ONE CARES...

2) We are still here... 1000's of nuke tests (especially near my home town) medical radiation, space radiation, CME's, cell tower radiation, microwave radiation... etc etc.. and we are STILL HERE.. and world population is increasing exponentially

3) Radiation is good for you

Greetings:

Thank you for your insightful and timely response.

1) We have been attempting to sound the alarm in the many nuke-related threads in our signature, and have come to the same conclusion: NO ONE CARES...

However, having spent the last six weeks on the road in the Hurricane Irene-ravaged areas of North Carolina, we were amazed - no, dumfounded - that [color=limegreen]NOT ONE PERSON we spoke with (including fellow First Responder Volunteer Firepersons) had any clue about Fukushima 24/7/365.

The Captain of the local department said that "there is no problem, or the USGOV/EPA would alert us, and it would be on television, right? (!???!)

Revised Conclusion: The people have been denied the basic information to make informed decisions as to how best "handle" the radiation poisoning nightmare.

2) Never thought that you would not be (there) "here" - after all, who would want to leave that pool? And whatever happens in "here" (there) stays in "here," (there), right mate?

3) You and Ann Coulter make such a great pair...

Glad to be back.

As we have been attempting to bring to light for over six months (!), there exists a world-wide conspiracy in the MSM to deprive the public of the facts regarding the dire consequences of the melt-throughs of the nuclear reactors at Fukushima-Daiichi.

Please listen up, people.

Your life and the lives of your loved ones may very well depend on your access to and use thereof of potentially life-saving information being kept from you by the EPA/USGOV.

The total number of days between Friday, March 11th, 2011 and Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 is 214 days.

The radiation poisoning of our people, food and land has continued unabated - 24/7/365 - for exactly 7 months.

For your edification and enjoyment (bewilderment), a few 'notable' stories that seemed to miss mass circulation and perhaps a peek at what might have been missed on the 6:00 o'clock news...:

Three days into the disaster, this FOR EYES ONLY memo circulated at the NRC.

14 March 2011
NRC ONLY Update – All 3 Reactor Cores Likely Damaged

15 March 2011
Fukushima Daiichi Units Degrading – Zirconium Fire at Reactor 4 SFP – Reactor 2 Possible Reactor Vessel Breach & Ex-Vessel Core Reaction

My goodness gracious! And we thought they (TEPCO/JAPGOV) said they had this "stabilized..." and presumably under control...

At least, that is what they (and the EPA/USGOV) would have you believe.

Fast-forward about six months to more headlines you may have missed in your local media:

21 August 2011
Fukushima Officials Worry New Discovery of Radioactive Beef Will Harm Reputation More After Farmer Confirms Cattle Not Fed Contaminated Rice Straw

21 August 2011
4,000 Potentially Radioactive Cows Without Radioactive Rice Hay May Have Been Shipped from One Farm in Namie-Machi, Fukushima

29 August 2011
Why the Fukushima Disaster Is Worse Than Chernobyl

31 August 2011
France Releases Map of Cesium-137 Deposition Across the Pacific – Shows the US More Contaminated Than Western Japan

[color=limegreen]Will this insanity ever end?

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
*sigh*, why haven't these threads been moved to the "Hoax" forum yet?

top topics

<< 22  23  24   >>

join