It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phew! The monkey that's been missing from Emory for a week doesn't have herpes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Phew! The monkey that's been missing from Emory for a week doesn't have herpes

m.clatl.com

The folks over at Emory's Yerkes National Primate Research Center in Lawrenceville just decided to announce that one of its rhesus monkeys has been missing since June 15.

BUT DONT WORRY. He doesn't have herpes.

From Fox 5:

According to officials, the monkey does not have the herpes B virus. The animal was to be a part of a behaviorial study, but it was not part of any study in which it would have been infected with any disease.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.myfoxatlanta.com
edit on 6/23/2011 by maria_stardust because: Removed profanity from thread title.

edit on 6/23/2011 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Jun 23 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
my comment?? ....well isnt this just DANDY, Emory,Yerkes and the CDC are all a stones throw from each other...relatively speaking, and though i'm fairly laid back personally, this escape kinda ticked me off. when i first seen the report on the local news station, i instantly got pissed(as it, the monkey, went missing on june15) and thought of the movies "28 Days Later/ 28 Weeks Later" which is one of my favorite sequel film. that Director needs props!

but at least the monkey, so far as we know, isn't carrying the RAGE virus.....it's just "behaviorally unstable" ...."Monkey Shines" anyone?

this also reminded me of the previopusly posted ATS thread that the CDC was quoted as saying something along the line of Zombies.
[ATS CDC zombie preparation thread, one of a few]

m.clatl.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-6-2011 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Hmmm, perhaps they couldn't risk the escape breaking in the news without their damage control to reassure the public.

I wonder what they have been doing since the 15th? That press release didn't take a week to draft, did it?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
lol, if it takes a week to report a missing research primate, The monkeys got a terrific head start!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I worked for one year in 1991 in a medical research laboratory. We had Rhesus monkeys.

The fact is they do not know what virus the monkey may or may not have. A Rhesus can test positive one week and next week be negative. Monkeys have viruses that will kill a human in a matter of days. We had a lab assistant who got bitten, they immediately took a circular knife that was about 5/8" in diameter and took a plug out of the guys hand, did the super scrub on him and put him on antivirals. It was just a monkey that was there awaiting the start of a study and was not know to have any viruses. Another lab assistant almost died from a monkey bite the year before I got there. The pathologist in charge of the lab told me that anyone who has any kind of monkey for a pet is flirting with death.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
He obviously never went to the nightclub in my town then cos he would have soon caught it.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

Yikes! Scary story.

Let's hope the thing gets hit by a truck and gets knocked into a volcano or something.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

thanks for scaring the crap outta me! nah, i'm not very scary, but that's an alarming dose of realism you've dropped here. they were quick to point out that the primate didnt have herpes....but what else have they actually done with this primate besides behavioral mods?? i'm gonna have to look into this research center, as todays news blurb is the first time i've actually heard of them.

Yerkes National Primate Research Center

The Yerkes National Primate Research Center, located in Atlanta, Georgia at Emory University, is one of eight national primate research centers funded by the National Institutes of Health. The center, founded in 1930 by Robert Yerkes, the pioneering primatologist who specialized in comparative psychology, is a recognized leader for its biomedical and behavioral studies with nonhuman primates. The Yerkes Main Station, located on 25 acres (100,000 m²) of the Emory campus in Atlanta, contains most of the center's biomedical research laboratories. The Yerkes Field Station, which houses 3,400 animals, specializes in behavioral studies of primate social groups, and is located 30 miles (50 km) north of Atlanta, on 117 acres (473,000 m²) of wooded land near Lawrenceville. The Center was relocated from Orange Park, Florida, in 1965.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I had never heard of this place til I saw it on TV today. Interesting reading for sure. This is a pretty old thread but there was an update on this missing monkey that doesn't seem to have made it here.

Search for missing monkey ended

August 16, 2011
Effective today, Stuart Zola, PhD, Director of the Yerkes National Primate Research Center, has ended the search to locate Ep13. Despite extensive efforts by Yerkes staff, we have not been able to locate this research animal. Efforts included searching the Yerkes property numerous times, conducting multiple census counts of the research animals and working with Gwinnett County Animal Control to follow up on 26 reported “sightings” in the metro Atlanta area.

So the monkey was never found and that's apparently ok.... who knows what they did to that monkey or what it had. It's probably dead by now but it's still scary to think it's this easy for a possibly diseased monkey to escape into our urban areas and never be found. Lucky someone didn't turn up dead from this thing.

new topics

top topics

join