It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI targets cyber security scammers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
A gang that made more than $72m (£45m) peddling fake security software has been shut down in a series of raids.
Co-ordinated by the FBI, the raids were carried out in the US, UK and six other countries.

The money was made by selling software that claimed to find security risks on PCs and then asked for cash to fix the non-existent problems.

The raids seized 40 computers used to do fake scans and host webpages that tricked people into using the software.
Account closed

About one million people are thought to have installed the fake security software, also known as scareware, and handed over up to $129 for their copy. Anyone who did not pay but had downloaded the code was bombarded with pop-ups warning them about the supposed security issues.

Raids conducted in Latvia as part of the attack on the gang allowed police to gain control of five bank accounts used to funnel cash to the group's ringleaders.

Full BBC Story here: www.bbc.co.uk...

Now here are the "Real Terrorists" and I hope they get stomped.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Always good to hear when these types of jokers get taken down.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I do alot of computer repair and virus removal. This is the most common trojan I've been removing lately. It's about time these scammers get shut down.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Good that type needs to be delt with, should have been more delt with when it began years back. They focus to much on a person downloading a movie per month than they do with more serious issues as such.
Fake scan programs have cost people a lot of money loss from stored info to repair. I've helped family members with their computers who had the virus, needless to say even if they did not have the best security measures possible they did not deserve that. They know better now at least.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Great! At least we can reasonably rely on the FBI to ensure that no more scams on unsuspecting victims of cyber crime will be made. I feel safer knowing security is still in effect.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Lets hope they enjoy 20 years of spam and man-loving!

I always love to mess with scammers,,,, just keep leading them on

ahhhhhhhahahahaha suckers

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
double post - delete
edit on 6/23/2011 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorKarma

I must add that some of the worst of these people will probably be rescued by NSA, CIA or other government agency, as they have a lot of common interests, just like many law enforcement have much in common with criminals

edit on 23-6-2011 by MajorKarma because: Typos

new topics

top topics

join