It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus literalist. What would change your mind?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

The "problem" of Christianity, is what happened when the first Pope / ex Roman Emporer laid down the Biblical cannon and orthodoxy for socio-political interests.

Pseudo history really helps matters?
That is practically an urban legend that just gets passed around as if it was fact.
You could actually do a little research or you should make a generic statement like:
Political concerns trumped long held and fundamental religious beliefs, to where the religion masquerading as Christianity today bares little resemblance to what it was before it became institutionalized and standardized when it was adopted into the waining Roman imperial system.

. . .a story about the emergence of the duality of human consciousness and the resulting fall from grace (oneness, unity). . .

Can you explain what you mean by that?
Let me try:
People at one time were incapable of doing anything other than just collecting food to eat, like any other animal. Then a new development in the evolution allowed for evil thoughts to enter into their thinking, along with the ability to realize that those thoughts were evil. And so there was an improvement in man in being evil.

That may not be what you meant and I thought I would take a guess, because I have never had this concept adequately explained to me.
edit on 28-6-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by Greatest I am

. . .Ashera, God's wife. . .
Do you know anything about that, or are you giving me someone else's list of problems with the Old Testament?
I have to assume there is some reality of Moses if I am to accept the words supposedly spoken by Jesus in the Gospels.
I'm not sure what you are getting at, about the divorce law. Are you saying that the Law of Moses contradicts an earlier law?
Jesus made a clarification of the Law, which is different, is that what you are referring to?

I wrote this a while back.

Is ignoring Jesus on divorce breaking the first commandment?
What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
In the eyes of Jesus, there was no earthly reason for divorce. This stance was apparently softened by the writers of scripture because of long held Jewish and Roman beliefs and customs where men could divorce their wives for a variety of reasons. Women‘s right to divorce was not in any way as liberal.
They are certainly putting their policies above Gods and in this way breaking the first commandment.
Are Christians and Catholics who follow Trinitarian thinking going against God’s first commandment by ignoring Jesus’ standards and divorcing their wives?
Here is a priest who says that marriage has nothing to do with religion.

www.youtube.com...

Here is a segment that says marriage has everything to do with religion.

www.youtube.com...

Here is one for fun.

www.youtube.com...

Regards
DL

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I wrote this a while back.
As for a question like; was Asherah God's wife?, a popular writer more interested in sales than peer review, would more likely answer, Yes. A serious scholar not wanting to loose credibility and does his own research and analysis, is more likely to answer, No. I prefer the answer from one who weighs and considers all available evidence, over one who cherry-picks from scholarly (or not so scholarly) work of others to find something sensational or controversial.
Jesus is quoted as saying, "Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
In Mathew, you find lines with him saying, “Moses permitted. . ." and then, "Now I say. . . ".
I broke out my copy of the Commentary on the New Testament use of the Old Testament and the conventional understanding of this discourse is that it had to do with an ongoing controversy between different rabbinical schools about what are legitimate grounds for divorce. Apparently Jesus took the more conservative view which did not get a good review from his audience and Jesus pretty much told them, "Too bad".

edit on 29-6-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

. . .Ashera, God's wife. . .
Do you know anything about that, or are you giving me someone else's list of problems with the Old Testament?
I have to assume there is some reality of Moses if I am to accept the words supposedly spoken by Jesus in the Gospels.
I'm not sure what you are getting at, about the divorce law. Are you saying that the Law of Moses contradicts an earlier law?
Jesus made a clarification of the Law, which is different, is that what you are referring to?

On literalism and Ashira.

www.raceandhistory.com...

www.youtube.com...

As to divorce.
Jesus promoted the silly notion of--let no man put asunder.

Moses, mythical Moses that is, added other reasons like sexual wrong doing to it.

Not for women of course. Just for men.

Strange to think that even knowing Moses intimately, in the Bible that is, the Jews still ignored Jesus and God's law.

Regards
DL
edit on 10-7-2011 by Greatest I am because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-7-2011 by Greatest I am because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join