It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive dust from Fukushima plant hit N. America soon after meltdown: researchers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

The Red Cross is called non-profit also.

But all they do is get paid all day long! People just send them money!

It's nuts I know. But that's how the system works.

Is the red cross hired by political lobby groups?. If so, can you post the ones they are working for. I think it would be thread worthy.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by Shadowalker
reply to post by boncho

I'm not certain from your argument/counterpoint that you even tie your own shoes.

Lets try to focus here. What are the exact scientific facts that you dispute and your methods of disproving them.

I don't like Arnie isn't going to cut it. Neither are cointelpro tactics to force your point.

Specific scientific points, and your methods to disprove them.

What scientific paper, or in-depth information has Arnie provided to base his foundation on? If he has come to this conclusion, surely he can provide the evidence that lead him to the conclusion.

You apparently didn't go over his material.

He clearly explains everything, but your bias has kept you blind.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Boncho, the evidence you seek may actually be like several years worth of studying Physics textbooks and non-fiction works by scientists.

This may be why you are not seeing what others are seeing. You are missing a link in this chain, but I am not quite sure what it is.

Maybe I can break it down in a concise straight-forward way?

1) Ionizing radiation emitted by radionuclides (atom with unstable nucleus) causes chemical reactions in the atoms that are hit by the radiation.

2) When the victim atom is "ionized", it becomes a new type of atom. It is no longer the thing it used to be.
(It's actual mass changes as a result, however slightly it may be).

3) If that 'victim atom' which is now 'ionized' is part of a 'complex molecule' (a bunch of atoms stuck together), than it will no longer be able to remain in that molecule most likely because it's "chemical properties" have changed since it was ionized into a new form of atom with a slightly different mass. This causes the molecules to break apart due to chemical reactions between the individual atoms within that molecule.

4) Imagine tons of these little particles floating around everywhere, busting molecules apart everywhere they go. For thousands of years with no end in sight. Unstoppable by current human technology standards.

That's why people are so concerned. Even if they don't know how it works, it doesn't matter. Their concern is justified greatly.

I'd rather fight off alien invasions, plagues, China+ Russia at the same time, whatever. At least we can figure out those enemies and stand a chance to fight them.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

You apparently didn't go over his material. He clearly explains everything, but your bias has kept you blind.

Rhetoric on your part. All the reports he has done are Here, and there is nothing on Japan. Press releases and interviews are besides the point, the man can get paid to do a report, he can commission one himself if he so chooses. Of course, he isn't getting paid his appearance fee then....

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

More idiocy on your part. Those are sample reports. Go advanced to see many more.

They provide expert legal testimony on all aspects of the nuclear industry.

No one is going to make reports for Boncho. You get the public release of information they are gracious enough to spend their time and energy to create and make available.

Are YOU going to sue? I am certain they will provide your reports and expert testimony.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Here is some basic reading.

Take your time (anyone interested) and read each part. Any time you don't know a word, google it's definition.

This way you can soak in the entire article and what it's saying. Learning stuff takes time so you may want to save it for later after dinner or whatever. That's fine. Just check out the information it's really good stuff to think about.

Radionuclide - Wiki
Ionizing Radiation - Wiki

"Jefferson Lab", who explains the 'Effects of Ionizing Radiation on Biological Materials' in great detail.

Now, let's go back to Fukushima for a moment.

All you have to do is say "the lid is open and it's not under control". That means we are screwed big time. There is 1000x the fuel roughly stored throughout Fukushima as compared to Chernobyl according to the Fukushima Disaster article at Wiki. Scroll down a little to the first heading "Fukishima I Nuclear Power Plant", and under there is a chart showing the number of fuel assemblies present at the station.

Also the notorious MOX is present at Fukushima (which is even deadlier).
Here is an educational article on Mixed Oxide Fuel MOX Wiki, it should help give an idea of what we are dealing with here.

Then take into account that we know if this information is verified and true, that some amount of this material went high into the atmosphere due to the explosion and possibly heat causing an updraft. Then we have to check out our satellite weather models, and look at the jet stream and other lower lying wind patterns.
Good Diagram at Wiki (El Nino La Nina jet stream effects)

Take into account the incident where they dumped tons of radioactive waste (with water) into the ocean. Check out the ocean currents and all of that.
Ocean Currents wiki

It makes perfect sense why people in North America are especially worried about Fukushima as well as the Japanese, if you take all of these available on Google at your fingertips data points into consideration.
edit on 23-6-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

4) Imagine tons of these little particles floating around everywhere, busting molecules apart everywhere they go. For thousands of years with no end in sight. Unstoppable by current human technology standards.

You're starting to lose me here. For one, that's been happening since the beginning of time. There is ionizing radiation that comes from space.

But lets talk about the good stuff:

Caesium-137 (137
55Cs, Cs-137) is a radioactive isotope of caesium which is formed as a fission product by nuclear fission.

It has a half-life of about 30.17 years, and decays by beta emission to a metastable nuclear isomer of barium-137: barium-137m (137mBa, Ba-137m). (About 95 percent of the nuclear decay leads to this isomer. The other 5.0 percent directly populates the ground state, which is stable.) Ba-137m has a half-life of about 153 seconds, and it is responsible for all of the emissions of gamma rays. One gram of caesium-137 has an activity of 3.215 terabecquerel (TBq).[2]

And,

2) When the victim atom is "ionized", it becomes a new type of atom. It is no longer the thing it used to be. (It's actual mass changes as a result, however slightly it may be).

The victim? Victim of what. You haven't even clearly defined which isotope we should be afraid of.

More:

Iodine-131 (131I), also called radioiodine (though many other radioactive isotopes of this element are known), is an important radioisotope of iodine. It has a radioactive decay half life of about eight days.

Its uses are mostly medical and pharmaceutical. It also plays a role as a major radioactive hazard present in nuclear fission products, and was a significant contributor to the health effects from open-air atomic bomb testing in the 1950s, and from the Chernobyl disaster, as well as being a threatening presence today in the Japanese nuclear crisis.

Strontium-90 (90Sr) is a radioactive isotope of strontium, with a half life of 28.8 years.

That's why people are so concerned. Even if they don't know how it works, it doesn't matter. Their concern is justified greatly.

So they should have been concerned their whole lives then.

Your position really isn't backed by anything. My position is there are a lot of people commentating on this issue, that aren't backed by anything....

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I hate to say it but it's true as hell.

The answers are not found in the Media and their little "reports". It can be, but there is no automatic qualifier making it so.

However, there is a higher probability that the real answers could be discovered within a dusty old library full of dull dry Textbooks.

I learned this truth about reality when I was in college. One of my professors had me go check out three books, "White Out", "Cocaine Politics", and "Dark Alliance". All of them were about drug smuggling in the USA, had extremely credible looking sources with verified reports, actual court transcripts of testimony, etc.

Did you know that the Truth about the Iran Contra Affair is in the Library? There was an actual order given by the government to the TV and radio media outlets and newspapers to not mention specific aspects of the story on the headlines, so that people wouldn't realize what the whole thing was REALLY about.

Looks like Fukushima is going to be the same. The media will simply not have the answers to make sense of everything going on.

But I bet you that the library has all kinds of stuff. Maybe not about the Fukushima incident itself, but a basic dry nuclear physics 101 textbook would really hit the spot, I'm telling ya.

I have noticed the Nuclear Industry has released a ton of pro-nuclear books in the last month. It's amazing how pro-nuclear they are it's messed up. So be wary about what the point of what you are reading is.

Sometimes these books are designed to sell us an opinion. Sometimes they are designed to teach students how to operate expensive complex machinery and understand the theories behind it's workings.

Let's try to stick with the books that actually teach students in a non-bias format. And avoid those opinion selling authors as much as we can.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

You're starting to lose me here. For one, that's been happening since the beginning of time. There is ionizing radiation that comes from space.

Sure, but we are not talking about Cosmic Radiation.

We are talking about Plutonium Radionuclides.

Do Plutonium Radionuclides come from space all the time? No?

Or are you saying they do?

Fukushima is emitting Plutonium Radionuclides into the atmosphere. Unstable Plutonium isotopes release extreme amounts of ionizing radiation on your body when they get on or in you.

I say extreme amounts in reference to comparing it to the minuscule amounts of cosmic ionizing radiation that we are exposed to daily.

If Cosmic radiation exposure is " 1 - baseline number" , than Plutonium would be like 100. *Just rough estimate used to solidify point*.
Do you think its safe to be exposed to 100 or 1000 days worth of ionizing radiation in a hour/day/week?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Here is an interesting find in the Wiki article. A team at Berkeley measured and found high levels of radiation in rainwater. (They said they made their own "MacGyver" monitoring system)

A University of California, Berkeley team observed a peak I-131 level of 540 picocuries per liter (20 Bq/l) in rainwater. This greatly exceeded the EPA's 3 picocurie per liter (0.1 Bq/l) standard for radioactive iodine in drinking water, although that is based on consumption of the water every day for 70 years.

Even with the higher levels, this was said about it:

Vetter and his colleagues try to put the health risks in perspective by pairing their data with calculations of "effective doses." For example, a person would have to drink 134 liters of the rainwater with the highest radiation levels to equal the average radiation exposure from flying cross-country. And radiation is dropping off quickly.

They were speaking of course about the isotope that has a halflife of around a week.

They did talk about how Iodine builds up in the thyroid, making it more dangerous than normal background radiation. I will add.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The guy, Gunderson, that someone called a retard just taught me more than CNN has about this mess.

Michio Kaku is saying it's bad too. So it's bad. That's really all I need to know, that and the fact that I can't protect myself, but beware of air filters is at least...something.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The old 8 day argument. This one comes from sub-human thinking.

Ok tell me when your 8 days started? Because it isnt going to start for another year according to Tepco when they have the reaction shut down and likely two years to complete.

Also another thing. It has a half-life of 8 days. It takes a full 45 days to deconstruct.

This is the same uneducated argument that always get thrown up. Educate yourself man. Educate. No one should have to do it for you. Spend time understanding the issues and you wont look like an idiot in front of everyone.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Sure, but we are not talking about Cosmic Radiation.

We are talking about Plutonium Radionuclides.

Do Plutonium Radionuclides come from space all the time? No?

Or are you saying they do?

Well, they both have Gamma rays in their corner:

All ionizing radiation causes similar damage at a cellular level, but because rays of alpha particles and beta particles are relatively non-penetrating, external exposure to them causes only localized damage, e.g. radiation burns to the skin.

Gamma rays and neutrons are more penetrating, causing diffuse damage throughout the body (e.g. radiation sickness), increasing incidence of cancer rather than burns. External radiation exposure should also be distinguished from internal exposure, due to ingested or inhaled radioactive substances, which, depending on the substance's chemical nature, can produce both diffuse and localized internal damage.

Plutonium-239 is the isotope most useful for nuclear weapons. Plutonium-239 and 241 are fissile, meaning the nuclei of their atoms can split when bombarded by neutrons, releasing energy, gamma radiation and more neutrons.

We have released those same ones into the atmosphere and water before:

Plutonium Radionuclides

While the fallout from a meltdown and a nuclear bomb are different in many ways, they did test a whackload of bombs back in the day.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Your 100% correct. Boncho has no clue what we are even discussing. Nor did he even read my first post in the thread. He is lost in some gamma ray fantasy land. Gamma is never coming to America.

We are discussing the toxicity of nuclear fuel dust falling on on us daily full of plutonium. The most toxic man made substance ever created.

He just can't understand so there isn't any point in discussing it with him. He doesn't want to read and find out. He will probably deny everything to the deathbed. Hopefully he read what I wrote and doesnt die from the dust in his own home.

He certainly doesn't know the difference between a survey meter and a Geiger counter, or he would know neither instrument can be used to detect the toxic fuel dust. He is clueless.
edit on 23-6-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Ok tell me when your 8 days started? Because it isnt going to start for another year according to Tepco when they have the reaction shut down and likely two years to complete.

So for two years they are having the same explosion at the reactor like they did when the Tsunami first happened? Please, can you link the videos of the daily explosions, that must be a site to see...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I have nothing for you friend. Your too uneducated and blind to know the difference.

Nothing for the second line.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Your 100% correct. Boncho has no clue what we are even discussing. Nor did he even read my first post in the thread. He is lost in some gamma ray fantasy land. Gamma is never coming to America.

I never said Gamma was coming to America, or that anyone else was implying Gamma was coming to America. I was waiting for the other poster to list I-131, Xe133, Cs137, 90sr, specifically....

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
reply to post by boncho

I have nothing for you friend. Your too uneducated and blind to know the difference.

Nothing for the second line.

So you cannot address the question asked. You cannot explain your position in a logical format. In other words, you are speaking hype.

I have posited no position on this subject other than people are saying things without backing them up. And you have proven my point.

I am not claiming grand wisdom on the subject. And neither should you.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

reply to post by boncho

Also, because we know that Chernobyl caused fallout in Canada. It should be no surprise that Japan caused fallout itself. Unfortunately, there has been no credible evidence (to my knowledge) that the level of radiation is worrisome for people in North America.

Chernobyl Fallout

Evidence of 1 particle is worrisome.

If you are not worried, than why are you here talking about it so much?

You honestly look very worried to me, but just in complete denial about reality.

You are thinking that someone is going to put in on the front page for you "Fukushima screwed us all!"

Just use your thinking skills for a minute. That's all you have to do. Stop waiting for others to tell you what you already know deep inside.

Greetings:

It does seem from the lack of participation on this forum that more people are interested in the foreskin discussion or Dancing With the Stars than the [color=limegreen]possible poisoning of our children, land, waters, atmosphere, etc. forever!

We think most people have a desire to learn more about the situation that has been successfully kept out of the MSM.

Perhaps, after partaking of this post dealing with only a few of the headlines from only the first two weeks of May, you may be able to offer additional opinions.

As you may readily discern, we are carefully setting the stage for our call to action.

We look forward to a lively discourse.

2 May 2011
Fukushima forecast shows Cesium-137 and Iodine-131
Over Northwestern US on May 5 (VIDEOS)

These forecasts are (were) an interesting source of information that the USGOV/EPA does not provide in any way, shape or form to we, the people, of America.

Go figure. The EPA shuts down radiation monitoring in the U.S., and now, NILU is off the air.

Here is one of the last forecasts of Xenon-133 from 16 April 2011.

Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU)
Fukushima Potential Releases, Xe-133 Total Column for April 15-April 19, 2011,
Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU), April 15, 2011.

This what one gets now when looking for the forecasts.

Our apologies...
The item you requested does not exist on this server or cannot be served.
Please double check the web address or use the search function on this page to find what you are looking for.
If you know you have the correct web address but are encountering an error, please contact the Site Administration.
Thank you.
404 Not Found

What is really going on that TPTB do not want us to be aware of what is being monitored? Why is no one else sounding the alarm? Does anyone else really care? Is anyone reading this? Why do we feel so alone in this quest for the truth? It does not matter.

Our side will continue to shine a light on the darkness with the hope that others will join in the quest in time to make a difference. The quality of life and the future of humanity may very well be in question at this point in time.

What we may or may not do will be the difference.

It is now time to take a stand and make a choice.

As we are all here "to catch fish," it is now time to decide if you are a Fisher Person - or a Master Baiter.

Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

2 May 2011
Highly Radioactive Sewage Found 30+ Miles From Fukushima Plant

Cesium levels up to 334,000 becquerels per kilogram
Local officials in Koriyama City, [color=limegreen]50 kilometres west of the plant, said they found sewage sludge containing 26,400 becquerels of radioactive caesium per kilogram, Jiji Press reported, from reduced sewage, had 334,000 becquerels per kilogram, Jiji said.

The caesium could have been released by explosions and fires at the nuclear plant after the quake and tsunami, and been washed into the sewage system by rain, the officials were quoted as saying. [...]
more

Interesting.

Remember the torrential rains that inundated the West Coast a few days after 3/11?

(If the discerning student is interested, we can search the archives and probably find the readings of iodine, xenon and cesium for those dates and locations. Westcoast are you there? Ellensburg'65 calling fellow Bulldogs...)

One might wonder what the readings might be in the sewers of San Luis Obispo, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver and Fairbanks, Alaska.

How silly to even comprehend such a thing. After all, the EPA has informed us that there is nothing to worry about and all is well... move along... this is not the radiation you seek.

While the MSM is making good their campaign to make the sheeple comfortable with the idea that the situation in Japan is "stable," we are faced with not only the Fukushima disaster, but yet another crisis in the making in Japan.

2 May 2011
URGENT: Radiation leaks from fuel rods suspected at Japan’s Tsuruga nuclear plant

Radioactive Xenon up 75,000%
Leaks of radioactive materials from fuel rods have been suspected at a nuclear power plant in Tsuruga, the Fukui prefectural government said Monday, citing a rise in density of the toxic substances in coolant water. [...]

According to Japan Atomic, 4.2 becquerels of iodine-133 and 3,900 becquerels of xenon gas were detected per cubic centimeter Monday, up from 2.1 and 5.2 becquerels, respectively, during previous measurements conducted last Tuesday.
more

"Per cubic centimeter.." "Per cubic kilogram..."

It would seem that the persons responsible for writing these press releases or news stories are purposely attempting to befuddle the average reader.

Let's look at the above statement and the story preceding it.

2.1 to 4. 2 becquerels of Iodine-133 is easily understood as doubling - 200% of the previous reading.

5.2 to 3,900 becquerels of Xenon gas is 75,000%. Is that a lot? Compared to what?

What is the relationship of becquerels per cubic centimeter to becquerels per kilogram?

How many becquerels fit in a breadbox?

Why would there be two - so different - methods of sharing this information?

Do many people really understand what is being presented here?

Does anyone really care?

Back in the USA...

We offer the following statement from the EPA without comment:

3 May 2011
May 3 Statement by EPA

After a thorough data review showing declining radiation levels related to the Japanese nuclear incident, EPA has returned to the [color=limegreen]...routine RadNet sampling and analysis process for precipitation, drinking water and milk

As always, EPA's RadNet system of more than 100 stationary monitors will continue to provide EPA scientists near-real-time data on the slightest fluctuations in background radiation levels.

Due to the consistently decreasing radiation levels, EPA is evaluating the need to continue operating the additional air monitors deployed in response to the Japan nuclear incident. EPA will continue to analyze air filters and cartridges from all air monitors as they arrive at the laboratory and will post the data as available.

In accordance with [color=limegreen]normal RadNet protocol, EPA will be analyzing milk and drinking water samples on a quarterly basis and precipitation samples as part of a monthly composite. The next round of milk and drinking water sampling will take place in approximately three months.

It is important to note that all of the radiation levels detected by RadNet monitors and sampling have been very low, are [color=limegreen]well below any level of public health concern, and continue to decrease over time.

EPA continues to work with federal partners to monitor the situation in Japan and stands prepared to accelerate radiation sampling and analysis if the need arises. Data will continue to be available on EPA's public website.
RadNet Sampling Data

[color=limegreen]...routine RadNet sampling and analysis process for precipitation, drinking water and milk

(Insert appropriate expletive here!) We are, again, at a loss for words...

Coincidentally, yes, Virginia, there are nuclear facilities in America that may be in some sort of danger too, although there has been little coverage of these events in the light of the importance of the "Weinergate" scandal. (This false flag was almost as stupid as the Charlie Sheen train wreck that gobbled up so much of the allotted time/space for "news.")

It's the economy, stupid. (Oops! Another thread, another time.)

3 May 2011
Radioactive release from nuke plant less than 150 miles from New Orleans

Nuclear Event – North-America
RSOE Emergency and Disaster Information Service, May 3, 2011:
Summary:
• Event type:    Nuclear Event
• Date / time [UTC]:    03/05/2011 [May 3] – 02:56:08
• Area:    Grand Gulf Nuclear Power Plant
• County / State:    State of Mississippi
• City:    Port Gibson

Event Description:
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission is investigating after a radioactive element is found in the Mississippi river. Authorities say it started at the Grand Gulf Nuclear Plant in Port Gibson. They say they went to check for standing water in an abandoned unit, and found a build up of water. They decided to pump it out, and after taking a sample, they discovered the chemical “tritium” had been released into the river. Officials say the River has diluted the radioactive material, and is not causing harm to the people. Right now the incident is under investigation. There’s no word on how much Tritum was pumped into the water.

6 May 2011
Nuclear Expert: EPA Abandoning Radiation Monitoring To Ensure There Are No Measurements Above Levels Of Concern

The Bay Citizen quotes Daniel Hirsch, a nuclear policy lecturer at the University of California, Santa Cruz, as saying the EPA is purposely abandoning radiation monitoring to ensure that radiation measurements can be taken that will above levels of concern.

Hirsch is also quoted as saying “I really am horrified” about the “staggering” EPA announcement that the EPA will return to testing radiation levels in rainwater, drinking water and milk every three months.

That means the next radiation monitoring results aren’t planned to be released until August.

Would a class-action lawsuit and/or a court order force the EPA to release these results now?

Can't one of these hackers lurking on ATS hack the EPA and/or EDi to provide we, the people, the information that we, the people, theoretically own? (Anon - do something about this travesty - after all, we are all in this together... radiation is non-selective and unforgiving.)

Why are more caring citizens/activists not stepping forth and lending support?

Where are the attorneys on ATS when they are needed?

Please step forward and give us some advice, please. Something must be done to retain our rights to this potentially life-saving information.

The future could very well rest on this actionable point...?

The abandonment of radiation testing by the feds also comes on the heels of an announcement from a top environmental scientists that food across the entire United States will be affected by the Fukushima nuclear radioactive fallout and an analysis from Japan’s top nuclear expert that [color=limegreen]reactors 1, 2 and 3 have all suffered a complete nuclear meltdown.

The EPA’s announcement was made even in the face of the fact that the levels of radiation being released from the Fukushima nuclear power plant have just hit an all-time high and radiation levels detected in independent milk samples in the US continue to rise.

The EPA ignored these reports from only two days before their astounding "denial of service" to the American taxpayer. Why do we, the people, continue to pay that company, EDi, when they are not monitoring radiation levels in all states in the United States?

There has to be an angle to swing the balance of power in our favor - or we run the chance of contamination on an unimaginable scale.

Where are the debunkers/shills/dis-info agents on this issue? Someone step up to the plate and prove our theory wrong. Please prove us wrong.

What happens if an EMP fries all electrical devices? Does that mean that all 104 active reactors in the U.S. suffer a meltdown at the same time when there is no power to run the cooling process? Is that the true Achilles heel?

When one takes the unsolvable nuclear waste issue and couples it with this EMP-Armageddon scenario, it becomes clear that nuclear power needs to be replaced ASAP with clean, renewable energy.

Something is very wrong here.

From our friend Alexander Higgins:
9 May 2011
Mislabeled XENON Forecast Map Shows Massive Nuclear Radiation
Fallout Cloud Over US

While playing around with the URL’s for Japan nuclear iodine forecasts I discovered a nuclear radiation forecast that was accidentally placed on the ZAMG website. The scientists inadvertently uploaded a radiation forecast showing a massive cloud of Fukushima Xenon radiation spreading over Japan and the United States instead of the iodine forecast for May 9, 2011.
more

One might ask why this type of information is being withheld from we, the people?

Onward through the fog...

11 May 2011
This is the last iodine-131 public forecast by NILU. Why?

9 May 2011
This is the last Cesium-137 public forecast by NILU. Why?

Perhaps because of pesky little stories like this:

11 May 2011
Japan: Compared To Radiation Dumped Into Pacific Ocean Today’s Release Of Half Billion Becquerels Is Nothing

Japan downplays release of 500 million becquerels of nuclear radiation by saying it is nothing compared to the amount radioactive material that has already been dumped into the Pacific Ocean by TEPCO from the Fukushima nuclear plant.

Today TEPCO was forced to release 500 million becquerels of nuclear radiation from the Fukushima nuclear reactor into the environment at the Fukushima nuclear reactor to lower the radiation levels inside the plant. In recent days, levels of radiation have been measured high as [color=limegreen]700 millisieverts per hour (which would be deadly to workers in just a few hours) over the course of the last few days.

Japan downplayed the massive release nuclear radiation into the environment by saying the levels are only a small fraction of the amount TEPCO has already to dumped into the Pacific Ocean. Almost undoubtedly American corporate news will try to spin the release of radiation from by running another headline saying the levels in reactor 1 have dropped once again. That is, of course, if once the radioactive dust settles the levels inside reactor 1 do actually drop.

Are these fine folk at TEPCO ever going to be brought up on charges for this deadly discharge?

METI’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency disclosed on May 8 that opening the double door between the reactor building and the turbine building of the Reactor 1 at Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant will release the total of 500 million becquerels of radioactive materials into the environment.

The amount of radioactive materials this time would be 1/300th of the amount released into the ocean when 10,000 tons of water with comparatively low-level contamination was intentionally released; [color=limegreen]there is no effect on the environment, according to NISA.

Does that imply that (300 x 500,000,000) = 150,000,000,000 (150 TRILLION) becquerels of nuclear radiation was released into the environment?

Does the average person really understand the difference between million, billion, trillion?
(Jump in here, CLP and/or Phage, Silverloc, somebody, if you wish, and help us understand this situation, please.)

And there is no effect on the environment, according to NISA???

Is this the referenced 10,000 tons "of low-level radioactive water?"

Tokyo Electric disposing of low radioactive water in Pacific
TOKYO, April 5, Kyodo

Tokyo Electric Power Co. on Monday took the unprecedented measure of dumping 10,000 tons of low-level radioactive water in the Pacific Ocean from a facility at its crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power complex to make room for the storage of more highly contaminated water, which is hampering restoration work at the plant.

With the total amount of water to reach 11,500 tons, including contaminated groundwater from near the No. 5 and No. 6 reactors, the government said the disposal was unavoidable in order to secure safety. The level of radioactive substances in the water is up to 500 times the legal limit permitted for release in the environment.
(...)
As for the impact of the disposal of the 11,500 tons of water, TEPCO said an adult's annual dose would be around 0.6 millisieverts if the person ate seaweed and fish caught nearby every day for a year, which is still about a quarter of the annual dose a person is usually exposed to from natural sources.
more

TEPCO estimates the added radiation because of the operation will be 0.44 microsieverts maximum within Fukushima I Nuke Plant. NISA, using SPEEDI, estimates 0.77 microsieverts of added radiation if the wind is from the east at 1 meter/second. Both numbers are lower than 1/1000th of 1 millisievert (1,000 microsieverts) which is the annual allowable radiation limit for the general public.

According to NISA, 500 million becquerels is the total of radioactive iodine-131, cesium-134 and cesium 137. The number was calculated by multiplying the amount of radioactive materials inside the reactor building that TEPCO measured on May 7 by 25,000 cubic meters (volume of the building). NISA assumed the radioactive materials to be released from the height of 29 meters (upper part of the reactor building) for 8 hours.
more

12 May 2011
NILU ends public forecasts as map shows large radiation clouds now over US, Canada (VIDEOS)

Thank you for your interest in the FLEXPART products for Fukushima. The Forecast system is no longer running.

“These products are highly uncertain based on limited information for the source terms. Please use with caution and understand that the values are likely to change once we obtain more information on the overall nature of the accident.” -NILU.
more

Well, isn't this a fine kettle of fish?

Wonder who leaned on NILU?

12 May 2011
TEPCO: Bigger Breach in No. 1 Reactor Core Than Expected

Serious setback” to stabilize Fukushima
One of the reactors at Japan’s crippled nuclear power plant has been damaged more severely than originally thought, officials said Thursday — a serious setback for efforts to stabilize the radiation-leaking complex. [...]

The findings also indicate a greater-than-expected leak in that vessel. Radioactive water pouring from troubled reactors has pooled around the complex, hindering work to bring the plant under control. [...]

The low level of water indicates that the core of Unit 1 had a bigger breach than expected, said TEPCO spokesman Junichi Matsumoto. [...]
more

13 May 2011
Fukushima Radiation Plume

The Norwegian Institute for Air Research is NO LONGER posting the plume maps below with the surface concentration of the different radioactive materials (Iodine 131, Caesium 137 & Xenon 133) from the nuclear disaster in Japan as it dispersed across the Pacific Ocean.

Why? Is it because of radioactive forecasts such as this?

This is one of the last screencaps of the FLEXPART Fukushima Potential Releases: Xenon-133, 16 April 2011.

Although the Iodine 131 & the Caelsium 137 plume has been dispersing throughout the Pacific, traces of I-131 have been found already in milk in Washington State on 3/25/11.
I-131 has an eight days half-life so it decays pretty quickly although the longer this situation lasts, the more the accumulative effects.

Surprise, suprise:

Fukushima Radiation Plume Forecast
last modified 2011-05-13 11:26
Thank you for your interest in the FLEXPART products for Fukushima.

The Forecast system is no longer running.

We have discontinued our Flexpart forecast of the atmospheric dispersal of radionucleides from Fukushima. This due to the fact that we do not have access to reliable release rates reflecting the current situation at the plant to be used as input to our simulations.

It is likely that the release of radioactive material is significantly reduced compared to the initial period, and ...that [color=limegreen]levels no longer pose a health risk at distance from the plant.

We thank you for your interest in our FLEXPART products.

"... levels no longer pose a health risk at distance from the plant."

All is well... move along... go back to your homes ... there is nothing to see here...
...this is not the radiation you seek...

And there is a lot more to come.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

edit on 23/6/2011 by thorfourwinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Its a byproduct of the reaction that is still going on within the melted reactor cores. There is your answer. It will continue to exhaust as well as all of the noble gasses as long as they try to cool the cores with seawater. Those gasses had nothing to do with the explosions. I hope you know that or your a bigger rube than people think you are.

I'm done with you Boncho. Your 'edumacation' is shoddy and your circular argument is off topic and flawed at every step. Didn't you just post your big test? think on that.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join