It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive dust from Fukushima plant hit N. America soon after meltdown: researchers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Radioactive dust from Fukushima plant hit N. America soon after meltdown: researchers

The computer simulation by researchers at Kyushu University and the University of Tokyo, among other institutions, calculated dispersal of radioactive dust from the Fukushima plant beginning at 9 p.m. on March 14, when radiation levels around the plant spiked. ...

According to the research team, updrafts in a low-pressure system passing over the disaster-stricken Tohoku region on March 14-15 carried some of the radioactive dust that had collected about 1.5 kilometers above the plant to an altitude of about 5 kilometers. The jet stream then caught the dust and diffused it over the Pacific Ocean and beyond.Source

Related Articles:

Arnie Gundersen has said that Fukushima is the worst industrial accident in history, and has 20 times more radiation than Chernobyl. Well-known physicist Michio Kaku just confirmed all of the above in a CNN interview:

In the last two weeks, everything we knew about that accident has been turned upside down. We were told three partial melt downs, don’t worry about it. Now we know it was 100 percent core melt in all three reactors. Radiation minimal that was released. Now we know it was comparable to radiation at Chernobyl. Source below

Radioactive Dust From Japanese Hit N. America... Beforeitsnews covers some key points.

Hot Particles From Japan to Seattle
The video explains the disaster spread and effect of Hot Particles.
The Hot Particles remain in your body, they are undetectable when Inhaled or swallowed. After the disaster people of Japan mentioned a metallic taste in their mouth(as did the people of Chernobyl).

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I've been very concerned about this. The article presents more information about radiation that was and is not talked much of since April. The third source link, nuclear expert Arnie Gundersen say Seattle,WA residents breathed in an average of five "hot particles" per day after the disaster. Great to know now!
edit on 23-6-2011 by dreamingawake because: fixed

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I feel for you but ... poor Japan...poor, poor Japan... I hope there is something that can put things right, really I do

Goddamnit, what a mess.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Very interesting watch(the vid of the OP). I thought I'dd add this one to. Maybe we are going to get how freaking serious this is. What can we do, I think Japan wants the world to end or something.

We cant deny Japan authorities handle this situation very poorly and false informing

There is already radiation detected in milk in New York

edit on 23-6-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
From the Japanese article (Original-traslated via google)

Using the predictive model the spread of air pollution and Asian dust, after 9 pm March 14, jumped the radiation dose around the primary particles was assumed to radioactive material (10 micron particle size, micro-parts per million) Flow Analysis of the weather conditions at the time. Radioactive material with dilute concentrations over the Pacific Ocean, ▽ 1 week after the U.S. west coast ▽ 3 days after the release and spread throughout Europe.

And from the article in the OP:

According to the computer model, radioactive materials at a concentration just one-one hundred millionth of that found around the Fukushima plant hit the west coast of North America three days later, and reached the skies over much of Europe about a week later.

Is that one-one hundred millionth of what was in the air around the Fukushima plant? Because that doesn't sound like much at all.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
US Authorities handled this horrifically as well as the Japanese.

In the USA everyone says "The Govt said it's safe".

Basically they are retarded and know nothing. They delegate their "thinking" to other people to think for them.

And this is what happens, your "thinking master" thinks you should not KNOW the truth and so plants falsehoods within you.

You know when people sit down at TV and say "stop talking I don't want to think anymore I am trying to watch TV and chill I worked all day"? They are the problem.

Please don't be one of those people.

All you have to do is think about stuff at least a few times a day. It's so easy you don't even have to lift a finger, literally! Question things. Look things up.

Then you won't be the problem anymore! And you can become the solution to it!

(This post directed to anyone who believes in Government lies).

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by David291

I know right...
Japan had 20 to 30 hot particles a day there. Hawaii must have had around 10...15?
Pretty sad.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Also, because we know that Chernobyl caused fallout in Canada. It should be no surprise that Japan caused fallout itself. Unfortunately, there has been no credible evidence (to my knowledge) that the level of radiation is worrisome for people in North America.

Chernobyl Fallout

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Basically they are retarded and know nothing. They delegate their "thinking" to other people to think for them.

And this is what happens, your "thinking master" thinks you should not KNOW the truth and so plants falsehoods within you.

You know when people sit down at TV and say "stop talking I don't want to think anymore I am trying to watch TV and chill I worked all day"? They are the problem.

Please don't be one of those people.

So instead are you one of those people who believes beforeitisnews.com when they say we are being contaminated by radiation?

Or are you like me waiting to find some credible analysis of the situation?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Those statistics are arbitrary.

It is just to give us indicators that yes, there is a ton of radioactive pollution in Japan.

And that yes, it has reached North America and Europe, but in much smaller concentrations.

Any amount of these types of particles is extremely bad. The reason why is partially because these types of unstable elements are not found very often in our sphere of nature. They are typically found deep within the Earth.

This means all life on Earth has not evolved to survive these types of chemical pollutants so well as compared to say types of molecules we have been fighting off for thousands of years.

Also hot particles can ionize normal molecules around them, inducing radiation further than where it originally started at. When one atom within a complex molecule becomes 'ionized', it's chemical properties change due to it's molar weight increasing. This causes the molecules to collapse and fall apart, due to the fact one of the atoms within it changed into a new type of structure and no longer has the chemical properties to stay within the complex molecule it once was part of.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

So instead are you one of those people who believes beforeitisnews.com when they say we are being contaminated by radiation?

Or are you like me waiting to find some credible analysis of the situation?

I don't believe in sources. That's for people who cannot think about things and need others to think for them.

Sources are good for fact checking, but when sources are scrubbed and industries has tons of clout and can have things portrayed in certain ways, I just cannot trust sources very much anymore.

I have to use common sense to determine if something is true, skewed, or outright impossible. So basically I rely on myself for analysis since no source is 100% credible.

By the time you get your "credible analysis" from "certified thinkers", than you will be dead because people don't live a million years!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I have to use common sense to determine if something is true, skewed, or outright impossible. So basically I rely on myself for analysis since no source is 100% credible.

I think we know it is possible, likely, and shown that radiation has traveled from Japan across the Ocean.

Four hundred times more radioactive material was released than had been by the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. The disaster released 1/100 to 1/1000 of the total amount of radioactivity released by nuclear weapons testing during the 1950s and 1960s

Now, common sense would dictate (if these numbers are accurate) that much more radiation was released in the 1950s and '60s than was released in Chernobyl and Japan, unless Japan had more than 100-1000 times more released than Chernobyl.

EDITED TEXT

Above statement retracted: See this post.

EDITED TEXT END

With the right information, someone could do an analysis. Including yourself. But until that is done. There is no reason to get your panties in a twist.

edit on 23-6-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

reply to post by boncho

Also, because we know that Chernobyl caused fallout in Canada. It should be no surprise that Japan caused fallout itself. Unfortunately, there has been no credible evidence (to my knowledge) that the level of radiation is worrisome for people in North America.

Chernobyl Fallout

Evidence of 1 particle is worrisome.

If you are not worried, than why are you here talking about it so much?

You honestly look very worried to me, but just in complete denial about reality.

You are thinking that someone is going to put in on the front page for you "Fukushima screwed us all!"

Just use your thinking skills for a minute. That's all you have to do. Stop waiting for others to tell you what you already know deep inside.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I don't believe in sources. That's for people who cannot think about things and need others to think for them.

Neither does all news web .com or the like.....

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I think I heard this argument before.

"Just believe"... Something like that....

Tell me what has your position on the matter done for you lately?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The two biggest factors for the West Coast, and I live in the Fraser Valley, is: The Jetstream and the Kuroshio Current, the Pacific's Gulf Stream which ironically is right at Japan and brings that radiation all along the west coast to Alaska. en.wikipedia.org...

According to the Norwegian Scientists, as of April 6th, west coast, and my area was on par with Fukushima,like being next door.

The other thing is: This Was No Accident.
edit on 23-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It's pretty clear that the disaster in Japan is only at it's beginning.. the hot particles that have been inhaled ( 30 per day!? for some ) will most likely result in death or severe medical issue.. just one particle of plutonium can be the end of your life.. this disaster will be killing many people, not only in Japan.. for a long time to come.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Neither does all news web .com or the like.....

Sometimes sources are required.. ATS is a source.. a lot of it is false and paranoid but it's still a source.. without "sources" you wouldn't even know an event took place in Japan most likely.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I think we know it is possible, likely, and shown that radiation has traveled from Japan across the Ocean.

Four hundred times more radioactive material was released than had been by the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. The disaster released 1/100 to 1/1000 of the total amount of radioactivity released by nuclear weapons testing during the 1950s and 1960s

Now, common sense would dictate (if these numbers are accurate) that much more radiation was released in the 1950s and '60s than was released in Chernobyl and Japan, unless Japan had more than 100-1000 times more released than Chernobyl.

With the right information, someone could do an analysis. Including yourself. But until that is done. There is no reason to get your panties in a twist.

# 1) Those numbers are totally inaccurate. Those calculations were done days ago, maybe even weeks. Fukushima is still emitting pollution at this moment in time, and will be for at least a year (when they think they can cool the corium down).
Those numbers are increasing every day.
Therefore those statistics are totally inaccurate and useless, since common sense easily shows their irrelevance.

# 2) Comparing the type of particles emitted from Fukushima (a nuclear reactor), to the types of particles that disperse from a nuclear bomb explosion is totally inaccurate and out of context.

They are two totally separate different beasts altogether.

The fallout from nuclear weapon blasts is far far less dangerous than the types of fallout that come from nuclear reactor melts. Huge difference.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I think I heard this argument before.

"Just believe"... Something like that....

Tell me what has your position on the matter done for you lately?

I said just think for yourself.

Stop letting others think for you.

Now you are twisting what I said into "Just believe?"

Sorry I was saying to Stop Believing and start thinking critically about the situation. Use your brain to determine reality.

But supply reasoning for these thoughts.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join