It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A T S - is losing credibility with this ..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
So you are saying that ATS is losing credibility because they advertise? a for profit business cannot have credibility?

For god sake, if you are debating with some one and the best they can do is say, that site uses ads! Well, then you might want to reconsider your debate partner......

edit on 23-6-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Hahah, I love the humor.

But yes, next time it happens, I'll do just as you suggested.

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
At least they got rid of the 'doubleclick' ads.

I saw this one up a couple days ago, eye and all.

Way to sponsor the enemy ATS! Woooo
edit on 23-6-2011 by BlackStar99 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2011 by BlackStar99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Ads! ok; no biggie, I understand the whole, who, what, how, and, why. Certain things are a necessary evil, I get it.

WHAT BLEW ME AWAY WAS THE FREAKIN BP ADS!!! Like 2 weeks after the disaster they were all over ATS..

Being in the effected area! this was just like sliding it in all rusty like and then twisting and breaking it off.

COME ON ATS!! Have a little self respect!!!! Pick and Choose the ADS, Don't Just Look At The $$$$$$$$

A certain amount of said Credibly was lost on that Day...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Every site has ads, and I have yet to run into ads that make you watch them before you get to the site like others. That isn't losing credibility, it's trying to keep revenue going so that you and I and all the rest of the members can enjoy the site.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Without the ads there would be no money to run this website and nowhere for the whingers to moan about the fact they have to put up with a few ads.

On another note, I've been a member here for many years, visiting the site almost daily since I joined, and yet not once have I EVER had an issue with an infected ad. Methinks people haven't a clue how to run an antivirus/spyware program and clean their computer regularly. This is the posters fault, not ATS's.

Some FREE programs to help keep out those nasties:

Spybot - Search and Destroy
Peerblock
AVG Antivirus

Really not that hard people.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Without the ads there would be no money to run this website and nowhere for the whingers to moan about the fact they have to put up with a few ads.

On another note, I've been a member here for many years, visiting the site almost daily since I joined, and yet not once have I EVER had an issue with an infected ad. Methinks people haven't a clue how to run an antivirus/spyware program and clean their computer regularly. This is the posters fault, not ATS's.

Some FREE programs to help keep out those nasties:

Spybot - Search and Destroy
Peerblock
AVG Antivirus

Really not that hard people.

Isn't peerblock for p2p connections, which would have nothing to do with ATS. If everyone on ATS had a clue about computer safety, where would ATS get its money from?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by iamaperson

Peerblocker doesn't just block p2p you know, you can import lists of government, educational and advertising IP's to block also.

The combination that I listed doesn't block normal ads, just any incoming connections that an infected ad might try to push to you. If you wanted to block all ads then use Adblocker - but then ATS gets nothing from your visits and quite frankly I think that is unfair so I refrain from using it on this website.
edit on 24/6/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Peerblocker doesn't just block p2p you know, you can import lists of government, educational and advertising IP's to block also.

Ok, I thought it was only p2p which I don't use (I have tried it though). I wonder why you would want to block government or education.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I don't mind the ads at all.

As a kind of side note, I notice every time this topic comes up and people mention the specifics of the ads they see, it's always wildliy different from the ads I see. Does it differ based on geographic region, or...some other factor? I assume it's not random.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Once I hit Silver Level Contributor the ads began to diminish.

As I understand it, The Gold Level members cruise the site absolutely Ad free but do get the occasional fluffy puppy pop up to brighten their days.

So keep striving for Gold status and all will be well. Members in good standing get Perks!!

BTW
The ads appear based on your Google search habits.

edit on 24-6-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
The ads appear based on your Google search habits.

edit on 24-6-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

ATS is tracking our search history-maybe even our web history.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

No mate. The ads are inserted by Google and are partially based upon searches your IP has made recently. All ATS does is provide the space within the website - although they do get some control over what types of ads appear, that is the extent of it from ATS point of view.

I get Aussie ads because my IP range is Aussie - and the ads are somewhat targeted toward whatever searches I have made on Google.
edit on 24/6/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
As a reminder, from the Terms and Conditions which we all agree to when registering-

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

It's a requirement for having an account. You agree to the requirement when registering. It's the only source of outside revenue. If you can't comply with the rule, don't log in.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamaperson
ATS is tracking our search history-maybe even our web history.

That's a lie.

No such thing is happening.

Please review the ATS Privacy Policy linked at the bottom of every page.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by HumanPLC
If your curious as to what ad companies/beacons are doing the tracking on this site just download ghostery for firefox, it gives you a plethora of info on what ad company is tracking you and what details they store...Usually about 12 trackers a page here on ATS

Nothing personal is being "tracked." And in many cases, most suppliers of online display advertising do not store your IP address -- but they do use it for geographic targeting of some ads.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I liked this ad awhile back so much I clicked

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Under the 2015 National Employment Act, all media advertising will be eliminated.

" Media operators (web, tv, radio,etc.) will be compensated on a two tier system weighing compensation based on site popularity and social relevance."

Don't worry, ad free media is coming soon.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Throwback
Trust me, the ads aren't the thing that makes this site lose credibility. Rumors aren't either.

so true man, so true.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join