It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV gives me a (kind of) headache

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Hi there, I have a question and Google isn't helping me very much.

My family loves television. I don't. But I tolerate it because I love my family.

At the start of my day, 9:30, the tv wasn't on. We did various things outside and I worked on my laptop (I have an online business). At about 12:30 My son asked to turn the tv on and I said yes. About 5 seconds after it turned on, I started feeling a pressure on my forehead. It's not the same as a headache; it's more like some force is pushing on it. I also found it more difficult to concentrate and became more irritable.

I'm in the bedroom now, listening to Gregorian Chants that I recently discovered and find very soothing. I'm feeling happier and my mind is clearer.

Anyway, my question of course is: what's going on?? I've read about what tv does to a brain as far as alpha vs. beta waves. However, I've been exposed to tv everyday for... as far back as I can remember. This is a brand new sensation that I'm feeling in my forehead. Well, I suppose it's possible that it's always been there and I just never NOTICED it before. But either way, can anybody explain what this sensation is?

I apologize if this is the wrong forum. Since I'm not really sure what's happening, I'm not sure where to put it. Thank you for reading.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by thepixelgarden

Sounds like you might want to get your eyes checked. The television being turned on was probably a coincidence. Sitting so close to your laptop for hours on end and needing either glasses or an updated perscription sounds like your problem.

I get the same thing when sitting with my laptop without my contacts in for an extended period of time.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Perhaps you should start a diary. You could record any feelings you have and make special note of any suggestions that spring to mind. Perhaps this is the start of a psy-opps mind control attempt on you.
Have you recently started any new job or contract work that involves goverment or had cause to come into contact with anyone connected with goverment?
Also listen out for any clicks on your telephone line or signs that your mail has been tampered with.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Think TV gives most peoples headaches, some of the adverts are that cheesy they make me want to do bad things...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Well lets get some basic facts. What type of TV? LCD? CRT? Projection?

If it's a CRT it could simply be dying. My old CRT TV and my old CRT monitor both, eventually, started emitting an extremely high pitched whine. So high pitched you could barely notice it (and the older you are, the less likely you will hear it google "mosquito ring tones" and take the test).

For me, this created headaches that, if unchecked, could become migraines.

The symptoms would start off fairly slow, trouble concentrating, restlessness, etc. Then I'd get the headache, the only way I can describe it is if you played a very old (playstation 1) 3d game with a low framerate for an hour or so, pressure in the head, mild nausea, etc.

I'd try to turn off all your devices and try the tv, listen as hard as you can, not through the speakers, right from the screen itself, maybe even from the rear of the tv.

Of course if you have an LCD then it's probably not that at all!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Oprah gives me a headache.

South Park makes me feel fuzzy inside!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

That's a good point. I did skip my last eye appt, so it's been a year and a half. But I wasn't actually watching the tv though, I was still looking at my laptop. I do spend less time on my laptop overall now then I used to a year ago for reasons along these same lines. I've never felt the physical pressure before though; just an inability to concentrate and irritability.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HologramDenier

The diary is actually a really good idea, thanks for suggesting it!

I just design gifts and sell them online, and that's all I've done job-wise for 3 years. My designs also sell through 3rd party sites, so I don't take personal orders that might have come from the Government.

I rarely use the phone. Nothing against it, it's just not my thing.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I'm thinking the laptop is what caused the pain along with needing an updated eye perscription and the tv coming on was a coincidence. Try not watching television or using your laptop as much as you can until you update your eyewear.

When you do go see your eye doctor mention this to him and see what he says, I would bet that you will get a stronger perscription and you won't have these problems any more.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Ok, umm... it's a tv I got from Wal-Mart about a year ago. HD. Sanyo. I... guess it's LCD? Sorry, I'm not really tv-savvy. That's really interesting about the high-pitched whine. I will definitely look into that.

The other symptoms, trouble concentrating, irritability, etc, happens with ALL the tvs we've ever owned (3, two of which are HD).

Do you think it could be a matter of a personal... limit, for lack of a better word, as far as how many devices I can be exposed to at one time? I never thought of that.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Its probably the TV itself. You just discovered Gregorian chants which are a lot more soothing than TV so your mind may not be used to how annoying TV actually is. TV is like a whiny kid begging and blaring and crying for attention. Thats enough to give anyone a headache and if a noisy, crying baby was around you wouldnt need to ask where your headache came from. But because its TV and its so accepted and ingrained in our culture we have to ask where our headaches come from because "how could TV be bad for you?". Its gotta be mold or super sonic airplanes or the polar shift.

I blame TV itself and the fact that its always screaming at us. If you're desensitized to it you dont notice it but when you take a break from TV (or throw it away altogether) you'll realize the pull that TV has on you.

I dont have TV but when I"m at a pub or something my eyes cant stop drifting toward the TV. Its made to pull your attention to it and it does it very well. Its almost addictive. I wont care at all about whats going on on TV but I can't stop watching anyway. IMaybe its subliminal messages. We gotta remember corporate America's favorite business practice: "Its only illegal if you get caught." The profit to potential fine ratio for being caught transmitting subliminal messages is enough for most corporations to burn them into our skulls without question. We know they can do it, no one's ever been caught doing it so I gotta assume that they are doing it, because, lets be honest, who would watch that crap if they werent subconscously coerced.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

Oh man, you don't know how happy I am to read that post! I thought I was the only one who felt this way about the television. Everyone just accepts it and enjoys it... and I really don't understand why! To me it's the most annoying thing, alongside radio, and I can't understand how people can put up with it.

Your comparison to a child who is always begging for attention is spot on. And it's absolutely addictive. Sometimes I jokingly refer to the tv as "my competition", because it's near impossible to talk to my wife when a show is on.

I think you may have hit on something with one of your descriptions. You said it "pulls" your attention. That's how I usually feel. My attention is being pulled, or "sucked in". However, today I felt the opposite. There was a sensation of something pushing on my forehead.

I don't know if this is significant or not, but I've recently changed my diet pretty drastically. I used to be a "cheeseburger & fries" kinda guy. You can probably guess my weight from that statement, lol. However, over the past couple of weeks, I've been eating at least 2-3 servings of fruit every day and I eat lots of tofu meatless products. I'm wondering if changing what goes in my body could fit into the equation somehow.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I am completely convinced that TV does 'suck you in; if you are not desensitized to it and it gives me headaches within minutes of being turned on. On my own, I never watch TV. The constant noise makes me immediately irritable and my temples begin to pound. I try to listen to soothing sounds and over extended periods I will turn even those off for the sweet sound of silence.

I've only been like this since I gave up TV years ago. I know other people who do not watch television who experience the same sensation of being sucked in mentioned above. One of my girlfriends used to have a television on in every room almost all the time she was home. When I would go visit her, I would ask her to please turn them off and she once noticed the 'being sucked in' effect I described just watching me while one was on in the background. She recently started developing her spirituality and coming to a place of more inner peace... she calls me freaking out about how she is the same way I was about TV now. She thinks it's crazy. I know others with that same setup, they gained more peace and with it a greater aversion to TV and noise. I wish I understood it better... I just know these consistent observations.

In my home that's my one holdout... no TV service in our home. I have set my husband up with all the online TV services you can find, and he is mostly nice enough to wear earplugs when we work in the same space (he uses TV and movies as background noise). I hide in my room when he has people over watching television and wear earplugs to block out noise if it is loud. A coworker of mine described the sensation when her mother would finally turn off the TV, she'd feel a big "aaahhhh" sigh of relief as she finally relaxed. I can COMPLETELY relate to that. It isn't eye strain because I don't watch the TV when my husband is watching... just listening to it gives me headaches. Coincidentally I am the exact same way with babies crying and kids screaming.

I am so glad to hear others talk about it and theorize on the cause.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jnsaisquoi

It's funny how you mention the soothing sounds, but then silence. Soothing music DOES help, but if I'm by myself for the day I will be surprised by how often I just prefer the gentle whir of the fan to any kind of music. Heck, lately I've been even going outside without my iPod (GASP!), listening to the birds instead.

I envy you that you have a room to go to.

I'm sure it's not eye-strain, either. At least with the "sucked in" feeling. I say that because When my wife and I are in bed, she is watching tv but I'm on my stomach reading, with my face away from the tv. However, it's quite a challenge because the sound is still very distracting.

Thanks much for your response, btw. ^__^

top topics

join