It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waste Heat Converted to Electricity Using New Alloy Ni45Co5Mn40Sn10

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

ScienceDaily (June 22, 2011) — University of Minnesota engineering researchers in the College of Science and Engineering have recently discovered a new alloy material that converts heat directly into electricity. This revolutionary energy conversion method is in the early stages of development, but it could have wide-sweeping impact on creating environmentally friendly electricity from waste heat sources.

read the fulll story here

During a small-scale demonstration in a University of Minnesota lab, the new material created by the researchers begins as a non-magnetic material, then suddenly becomes strongly magnetic when the temperature is raised a small amount. When this happens, the material absorbs heat and spontaneously produces electricity in a surrounding coil. Some of this heat energy is lost in a process called hysteresis. A critical discovery of the team is a systematic way to minimize hysteresis in phase transformations.

Watch that happen in this very short vid

anyway this one thing has the potential to change everything when it comes to how we produce energy... Cant wait to see if big oil shuts them down or embraces a new idea???

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 23/6/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I wonder how much energy is required to produce the stuff and if it loses efficiency over time.

On a grander scale, this might be useful in cogeneration type scenarios. More than half the energy produced by fossil fuel power generation is lost as heat. It would be nice to reel some of that back!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

Even on a much smaller scale...
thank about connecting one to your wood stove and having enough energy to run a small fan to disperse the heat. or what about mounting one above the cook stove maybe creating enough energy to power LED lights to cook by...

it doesn't have to be on a large scale... but we do need new ideas for even the simplest things right?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Very true. It just goes to show how broadly this technology could be applied!

I work with Diesel generators every day as an Electrician and I see just how much heat is blatantly wasted so that was my first thought. Also, we don't really have fireplaces/stoves etc here so that point really re-enforces my prior point.

Heat is the most abundant source of energy on this planet yet the most inefficiently used. In many ways, electricity is quite the opposite. The implications of this kind of technology are far more exciting than biodiesel, ethanol, solar etc.

Why am I telling you this?........... Obviously you get it!

top topics

join