It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien size?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

I knew i'd seen something on you tube along these lines before, is this anything like you were thinking?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by gillyp17

beautiful! lol!!

the earth might be saved every day!!

and we don't know it!!

bada** looking things tho.

spider army would take care of them.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
This size especially is portentous:

www.ufoevidence.org...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I like the thoughts regarding gravity etc. Who knows, on another planet we could all be like superman

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
My guess, is that it could be possible, that their are some 12 foot tall humanoids walking around somewhere in our Universe.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Erno86 because: added a word

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erno86
My guess, is that it could be possible, that their are some 12 foot tall humanoids walking around somewhere in our Universe.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Erno86 because: added a word

Basketball players come to mind

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I guess I'll be the first one to say it, but I think the most likely reason that aliens are generally about the size and shape of a human is because these experiences are fantasies and that being human, our fantasies are filled with human-like things.

If experiencers are seeing something real, then at least two possible alternate explanations spring immediately to mind. a) The aliens could be creating an image of a creature vaguely of human shape and size for some reason (psychological, or whatever). b) Humans and the aliens could have common lineage. a la the Star Trek:TNG episode explaining a similar scenario.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by fooks

You'd think that but really, take a look at astronauts who spend time in space for long periods. They become weak and frail without constant exercise. Id say any heavy gravity alien on earth would have to do the same thing or risk similar problems, id also say that with out training in such environments they'd be very clumsy.

As to size, well you have reports of anything from 2 foot to 12+ feet, from humanoid to completely non humanoid... so really there isnt that much similarity in humans its just that the more humanoid and human sized are the most regularly reported, although usually its the ones on the smaller size side of the scale.

Not to mention fully grown humans can range from the tiny (under 3 foot) to the massive (over 8+ feet) so just where do you draw the line in saying all reports are of human sized beings.

Originally posted by Tearman
b) Humans and the aliens could have common lineage. a la the Star Trek:TNG episode explaining a similar scenario.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

Or theres a specific environmental zone where a world is capable of creating a sentient (dont like that word) technological species and the best form for such a zone is bipedal, roughly human in size... any other environment or size creates to many issues that stunt development towards technological advancement (not that it wouldnt happen on rare occasions) and ergo anyone we meet out there or who comes here is 'similar' but not exactly identical to us.

edit on 26-6-2011 by BigfootNZ because: meh

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
Or theres a specific environmental zone where a world is capable of creating a sentient (dont like that word) technological species and the best form for such a zone is bipedal, roughly human in size... any other environment or size creates to many issues that stunt development towards technological advancement (not that it wouldnt happen on rare occasions) and ergo anyone we meet out there or who comes here is 'similar' but not exactly identical to us.

edit on 26-6-2011 by BigfootNZ because: meh

I don't think there is a reason to believe that some kind of pressure for convergence toward a human form exists, and I think that the diversity of life on earth is evidence against the idea. It is hard to say for sure though, because we only have one example of significantly technologically capable life.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Well, from a chemical, biological, physics, and evolutionary perspective, I suppose that it would have something to do with gravity, and the vapor point of water.

If we were to assume that water was somewhat necessary for life in general, then we could extrapolate that a planet whose gravity was close to earths would be necessary as well, so that the water could be solid, liquid, and gas within the same atmosphere, and narrow temperature threshold.

Now, this temperature and pressure threshold might be necessary for certain chemical reactions to occur, such as photosynthesis, (specifically the creation of ATP from water electrolysis, which requires a liquid state of water, and the accompanying pressure and temperature gradient.)

If your gravity is too high, your water pressure would be too high to allow these chemical reactions... and if your gravity is too low, your pressure would be too low.

So, given the necessary temperature, and pressure for these chemical reactions to take place, it would stand to reason that the gravity of a planet that life evolves on would have to be within this threshold in order to the biological and chemical reactions to occur, and thus, the average height of a bipedal species would necessarily have roughly the same size, due to chemical, biological, and structural similarities.

In addition to this, if the alien species biology is sufficiently different than ours, their outwards appearance would probably be vastly different to ours as well.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Notwithstanding gravity, pressure, & all other factors that provide for the homestatis of living organisms (on Earth at least), I think it's interesting that among the stories of "encounters of the third kind," these intelligent life forms encountered are described in terms of organic structure. To the best of my knowledge, an encounter in which an intelligent species of nonorganic structure (machine based) has not been encountered.

The interesting point of this (to me at least) is that an intelligent, mechanistic, inorganic being is not described of in alien encounter literature. This would seem to presuppose that what we think of as "intelligent life forms" are organic in nature & not inorganic, dismissing tacitly that a microchip/microcontroller, computationally based intelligence could evolve into what we regard as an intelligent being. Put another way, if experiences of alien encounters are true (even a small percentage), it's as though limits are imposed on the prospect of AI if only because intelligent life forms of inorganic structure are missing from these accounts. On the other hand, if the AI community developed a robotic structure of independent intelligence, capable of evolving as a human being does in his or her lifetime, would we begin to read of an intelligent extraterrestrial life form whose structure is inorganic/machine based?

I realize I've deviated from scale to composition, but I think in discussing EBE/intelligent extraterrestrial life forms it's important to pinpoint constants in these narratives. From all I have read/viewed, they range from 3 - 13 ft in height, vary in appearance, & are organic based. What I've not read of or viewed in video presentations is an EBE that does not fall within the range of these heights & is machine based rather than organic based.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Axebo

You know, that actually is a very good question.... as to why we never hear alien abduction stories regarding mechanical life, artificial intelligence, and only biological life forms....

It seems to me that given the vast possible environments and atmospheres that one could encounter life on, that we should be seeing robot probes of sorts.

I have heard tales that the Alien Greys are actually a FORM of artificial biological life, engineered for the specific purpose of interacting with human beings, or whatever, and this may be the reason.

In addition to this, there could be the psychological problems inherent in contact between mechanical or computer intelligences, and biological entities.

Perhaps the Alien communicators feel that contacting humanity through A.I. or machines would be traumatic, or in some way counterproductive to their agenda?

Or perhaps their society has never actually developed computation in any significant degree... having super powered brains, and such...

Anyways, just some thoughts on the topic

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Thanks for the reply, ErtaiNaGia.

I should add that I thought your post hit on significantly important points related to the development & sustainment of organic life forms. Gravity, pressure, et cetera were my first thoughts when I initially read the opening thread, but I deferred to your input because a) it was brief, yet expressed well & b) struck me as spot-on.

With regard to inorganic, intelligent life forms, it has remained a piece of the alien encounter narrative that has puzzled me. This puzzlement is concomitant to the development of robotics & AI currently being researched & its absence among alien encounter stories. I reckon there could be any number of reasons why this is so (many of which I've yet to even realize in all probability), but your idea of a biological species interacting with a biological species seems very sensible to me.

Once again, thanks for the reply & take it easy.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
The size of a being, regardless whether alien or intelligent depends largely on the area it lives in. If we look at earth we can assume a few things that affect size;

- Gravity
- Climate
- Diet (Eating habits)

Any change in either one of those three can also affect the size of a being. E.g. since space has no gravity the human bones become weaker, and in theory humans can grow taller than here on Earth but they would have trouble surviving on Earth.

In regular theorisis a human being the size of a house will not live long on Earth. It would easily weigh more than a thouand kilograms and thus have to continously fight agains gravity sinse the human muscletissue was not build to fight such forces. Eventually it would die prematurely as a result of that if it would remain too long on Earth.

In the case of intelligent species there is an additional factor to influance the size of beings;

- Artificial alterations

Note the alterations part, I purposefully not chose enhancement since not al artificial changes are in fact an enhancement. A species can be 'made' to survive in a different enviroment. This would be useful in space exploration or to overcome great cataclysmic events the changed the natural habitat.

In general there are two types of direct alterations known and used in larger parts.

Cybernetic alteration; The altering of an existing body by the means of technological devices. Think or artificial legs and eyes. Ofcourse, you would not need to be limited to those examples, better more eleborate examples exist.
Organic alteration; The altering of an existing body by the means of biological engineering. Better heart, stronger and faster muscles, more arms growing at your body, improved immune system, etc. etc.

Both ways can achieve the asame things but are differently constructed. Eventually there is little difference, as knowledge and progress grows it will be much more difficult to seperate both sources in the end. In the beginning thou the differences are clear. Cybernetic alterattions require alloys and often have seperate powersupplies. Organic alterations use power of the body and thus sometimes require the host to consume more food, in return they autoheal without the existence of nanites or other external repairsources.

Well, then there is the exception of artificially engineered life. In which case two routes exist;

- Blanc canvas; the use of a completely clear embryo and filling it with a hand made genetic sequence.
- Pre-build Canvas; using existing life and altering it at embryotic stages.

Blanc canvas is difficult, it requires much calculations, super computers and even then the outcome is uncertain. It is hard work and requires a substantion pre-planning. The actual creation is only 5% of the work. Such projects are often prone to failure and take years of no end. It is actually only interesting if you really want to play god.

Most of the time you want to use a Pre-build canvas. You take a genetic sequence that is readily build and then bombard it with manipulated retrovirusses. The retrovirusses will retransform the target RNA in DNA and ad it to the strain of the existing species. Most of the time existing troublesome DNA is being deactivated by a special protine to prevent conflict. Removing a piece of DNA out of the chain is mostly to difficult.

Well, if I were to give an example I would give one concerning the acceleration of evolution. One would need a chain of five protines;

1 Marker; To know where to look for your code.
1 Protine to shut down the existing piece of genetic coding relevent to the exiting creation of telomeres
1 Protine to instruct the strain how to code the new telomeres in cell creation
1 Protine to inhibit degeneration of the sequence itself.
1 Marker to end the code

Essentially what this does is shutting down the part of the original embriotic DNA sequence that creates telomeres and replace it by a new, shorter one. This creates beings that will live shorter speeding up successive generations. The self degeneration is not an 'actual degenerator' but a timer as sorts. The degeneration protine will destroy the protine sequence so that it will be unusable after a precalculated number of generations, that way the species will not continu to be stuck in accelerated lifespans. This piece of code would fit in 1 retrovirus. Cramping anymore in it might make the samplevirus unstabile.

ofcourse, you would need another few retrovirusses; 1 to inhibit larger and faster neuron development, 1 for basic genetic stibilisation against the effect of the speeding up (to prevent severe cases of psychosis amongst the target species) and one to doublecheck if all the sequances are shut when they are supposed to. So all-in-all a chain of four retrovirusses would be found in a target species.

Well, maybe a littlebit oftopic, but there you have it. (hehe, bit of an inside joke in that one, get it..'inside'...'have it'? I crack myself up today)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
If alien planets were to use artificial organic being to visit us, for example the most popular alien image of the gray, would it not make more sense for them simply to clone a human?
If we can do it, which i am pretty sure we could if we havent already due to whatever laws govern it, surely a more technologically advanced species could easily create a proper human form without the need for them to stand out as much by being completely different.
To be honest, if i was to send living beings to another planet to blend in, i would obviously research the planet they were going to, in order to gain as much info on their way of life so as not to risk being found out by placing a living creature in that environment that just didnt seem to either fit in, or biologically match anything around it.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 2012king

I look at it as if the way we run our navy. We send in small fast ships, then some bigger ships, then the biggest ships. If you were coming not in mass, but in small squadrons, would this be what we would see? A steady escalation in size and shape. Sort of the lone scout,the larger expedition, then the supply ships, then the mack daddies, that would be the same as our aircraft carriers.Just a thought.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join