It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Respect, Corruption, Law Enforcement and You

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by memarf1

Statistics

Ya got to love statistics..

Great post and very "telling"

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by memarf1

So, to sum it up, 2.5 billion armed and tense interactions and only 0.00024% end up in reports of misconduct, but each of those reports of misconduct results in an average settlement of over $50,000.
Okay, let's figure the population of the US is 330 million people.

2.5 billion events divided by 330 million people gives you a result of 7.5 events per person as an average.

How many of your average people get into 7 or more armed and tense interactions with the police in their LIFETIME let alone a year???

ETA: I have yet to have my first one!

edit on 23-6-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Any interaction with an officer is armed

While I can not name names due to the T&C and the law for that matter.. I can name 2 to 3 HUNDRED people that have had over 100 interactions with the police LAST YEAR

It's all about the statistics..

Semper

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by memarf1

Not everyone files a report because of police misconduct. Not all reports get followed up on. Your stats say police kill at least one person a day and you are ok with that? :pus: God forbid the person for tomorrow is YOU.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Which proves my point even further. Most of those interactions are with repeat offenders and suspicious characters! Some people may never have an interaction with a law enforcement officer, and for others it is a daily occurence. Domestic disputes, drugs, drunks, and suspects for other crimes make up the majority of the time an officer spends interacting with the public.

Each and every interaction has a confrontational tone, because there is the potential for someone to get into trouble, possibly even lose their freedom, so every interaction is somewhat tense! Every interaction has the potential to escalate. Even routine traffic stops can result in violence.

So imagine, all of those officers, doing this day in and day out all year long, in every little city and county across the nation, and yet we criticize the handful of events that make it to YouTube?

Worse yet, even those video clips that make the news are sometimes out of context. We don't know what went down to bring the event to that violence, so we are just left speculating.

Sure, there is corruption, there are the occasional bad apples, there are some power-tripping cops, but they are the extreme exception, not the rule!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
reply to post by Daughter2

It's still very, very difficult to sue cops.

See what I mean.. ? You can't make this stuff up...

How many times have you been sued?

Tell me and I'll let you know how many times I have been in Federal court, state court and local..

Semper

I have never been sued but if a lawyer isn't going to spend their own money and time if they don't think they can win a case. The cops who beat Rodney King got off in their first trial and probably without the public outcry would have never been held accountable for their actions.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD
reply to post by memarf1

Not everyone files a report because of police misconduct. Not all reports get followed up on. Your stats say police kill at least one person a day and you are ok with that? :pus: God forbid the person for tomorrow is YOU.

I think the $350 billion in lawsuits disputes your idea that they are going unreported! Even the slightest bit of misconduct or violation of rights is a huge payday for a suspect. It might get them out of their crime, it might get them some cash, it might just be a distraction to get leniency in the sentence.

For every misconduct that goes unreported, there is surely one frivolous one to offset it.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Any interaction with an officer is armed

While I can not name names due to the T&C and the law for that matter.. I can name 2 to 3 HUNDRED people that have had over 100 interactions with the police LAST YEAR

It's all about the statistics..

Semper
I still don't see how the 2.5 billion number is arrived at.

If you name names, you would cover 30,000 out of 2.5 Billion still have a lot of convincing to do for me.

As far as the armed interaction and officers go, that was my point. The officer being armed is all that makes it an armed interaction. The original post made it sound as if it was a gunfight, when in reality, it is a one-sided affair, with only the officer being armed most of the time.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

So one incident to you a pattern makes?

Or two

Sorry epic fail there

It is FAR easier to sue an officer than other, less public, people and that is a fact..

You having never been sued, like your one Rodney King incident must prove that, right? (Just using your logic)

Semper

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by memarf1

Which proves my point even further. Most of those interactions are with repeat offenders and suspicious characters! Some people may never have an interaction with a law enforcement officer, and for others it is a daily occurence.

That is EXACTLY the problem. Police target certain individuals and certain areas. If a white man is walking in the projects in the "hood" he will be stopped for being "suspicious". If a black man is walking in an affluent neighbor "hood" he will be stopped for being "suspicious".

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by memarf1

Sure, there is corruption, there are the occasional bad apples, there are some power-tripping cops, but they are the extreme exception, not the rule!
This is where I tend to disagree with you. I have seen LEO's (my own relatives) corrupted by becoming an LEO. Every one of them that I know or have known are crooked, some worse than others.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by memarf1

Police misconduct should be prosecuted and police should have to pay, do you disagree??

What is frivolous?? If i am drinking a beer in public is that frivolous?? Should i get a ticket?? If your answer is yes because it's against the law then by all means police should have to endure the frivolous things too!!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Hi I am your average cop hating citizen looking for a way to sue the pants off of you loyal dedicated public servants...Sorry I just do not fit this mold nor do MOST of the folks who have a beef with present LE methods. I am hardly some cop hating extremist,but I am a cop distrusting realist. And it is a 30yr old distrust having seen beatings and theft, extortion and rape,even outright murder excused,recused and ignored.My view is not from Youtube it is from seeing it happen. I have no Criminal record and am a law obeying citizen I have called LE exactly 2x in my life due to other folks problems. Both times the cops messed up the cases on the perps. Both times they treated me and my wife as if we had done something wrong.
I was in the parking lot as a Eugene Or cop attempted to break the drivers glass with his handgun and blew the guys head off instead. Not even discipline.
I have a long list of pretty sorry examples of public service but would not be fair if I did not include the good.
During our house fire a state cop risked getting burned so I could get my chickens out of the coop. He was the equivalent of a game warden in our area and we became good friends. He quit LE due to the blind eye on forestry polluters and LE complicity in local Mxth activity. He work for Forestry now trying to police pesticide application.
I guess where this goes is to characterize us as "cop hating authority rebels" is more of the reasons middle of the road 50somethings like me are looking at you guys and saying shape up. As I said and was pointedly ignored. YOU GUYS WORK FOR US! We pay you. Do a better job dealing with us or pay the price in troubles and a growing body of "us" who are not pleased with how you are doing your job "protecting the public good"
seed

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

several things wrong with this OP
not to mention some just plain wrong
statements.

First of all let me state for the record
that I am also a former LEO so I do have
first hand knowledge of this topic.

You state that it is because of the public
why things have changed. This is wrong
in my opinion.

9/11 changed law enforcement.

Law enforcement got turned into
paramilitary fighting terrorists not
arresting criminals or granny.

This paramilitary mentality caused the
LEO's to change how they deal with
situations due to updated paramilitary
techniques taught in yearly LEO training
schools. New weapons introduced as well
as new tactics.

No, do not blame the public.

Blame the Patriot Act that granny gets treated
as a terrorist.

And you state that corruption is not rampant
at all, to show you some and you will root
it out. I'm here to tell you if you have been
in LE since 86 and you haven't seen any
to root out, then you are not looking.

The system is teaching it's cops not to respect
civilians, therefore civilians have no other
alternatives.

After 9/11, LE became an enforcer for TPTB.
Cops enforce illegal legislation via the Patriot Act.
This alone makes them more of a criminal than
the occasional speeder or town drunk. Enforcement
of an illegal law makes being a cop an illegal act.

The real culprit here are TPTB who has brainwashed
both sides into believing he who does not have a
badge are enemies of the state.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I will make some statements

1. I have been a cop longer than you
2. I have been a cop in more states than you
3. I have therefor known more cops than you
4. I worked Internal Affairs for years

Yep

I'll go with my observations thank you

Semper

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Yep
Semper

how do you know how long I have
been in law enforcement to make
your statement ???

And another question:
Why so many states ???
Were you dismissed from one state
to move to another to find work?
What were the reasons for the multiple
states ???

On average, only cops who were fired
moved to other states to work. Which also
means re-taking basic training all over
again for the new state as most states
do not accept certifications from other
states as they have different state laws
to enforce.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Yep

Semper

An observation: You seem consistent in your disdain for any view beyond your own even when expressed by a fellow former LEO. More "you're either with us or against us" thinking. Really do keep posting as it is cementing the view that LE is out of control and thinks of those who pay their way as their enemy.
As for your statements, they are quite damning not redeeming as you would have hoped. That you claim these things and also say what you do just makes you makes it obvious you either have looked the other way or are blinded by policies.
seed

edit on 23-6-2011 by mustard seed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Yep
Semper

how do you know how long I have
been in law enforcement to make
your statement ???

And another question:
Why so many states ???
Were you dismissed from one state
to move to another to find work?
What were the reasons for the multiple
states ???

On average, only cops who were fired
moved to other states to work. Which also
means re-taking basic training all over
again for the new state as most states
do not accept certifications from other
states as they have different state laws
to enforce.

lol Too true! I know 5 local cops who have worked in almost every town in the county because of being canned for being a bad cop. They just shuffle them to a new job really and hope if they get public scrutiny it happens somewhere else.I personally know three police chiefs canned for either screwing little girls or running guns from the small town I lived in in Oregon. Like I said I am joe average 50 something with no criminal record how is it I have a list of PERSONAL account so long if there is nothing to see officer barbrady?
seed

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by memarf1

Civil lawsuits are nothing.

These cops need to be arrested and charged with the criminal offenses that they commit.

Where is your REAL justice?

Note: Justice is not a checkbook.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join