It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From Game Politics - Vatican Wars (Facebook)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Not sure if this is religion or technology or current event .. but it's s kinda interesting.
I'm wondering how close to reality this game really hits.

This is a new facebook game. It was 'Priestville' and now is 'Vatican Wars'.
It isn't put out by the Catholic Church. It's by SGR Games.

'Priestville' morphed. There became a race to become pope. Players ended up blackmailing each other and bullying each other. Most were just fine and played sacramentally correct but there was A LOT of bullying . Those that ran the game had no way of knowing how many of the players were actually catholic, how many weren't catholic, what the motives for play were, or how many were in it to play for power.

Vatican Wars - Facebook Game

“This data confirmed our belief that this is the most powerful and compelling tool we’ve ever seen for increasing Mass attendance, religious practice and interest in the Priesthood,” said Cheyenne Ehrlich, founder of SGR Games, LLC. “But we also had some problems. Players blackmailed and bullied each other to try to control the online Papacy. This required us to make changes to the game before we could roll it out on a larger scale."

The company stressed in its releases that it is not associated with Zynga, nor is it associated with the Roman Catholic Church.

Ultimately the game is seems to be about debating theology in a respectful and thoughtful way and non-Catholics are encouraged to join the game at apps.facebook.com/vaticanwars. It should be noted that in order to play the game you have to choose a calling - there is no option to play as another religion or as a non-believer. The differences in choices seem to be more about politics than religion.

more info from the press release

“We had two major problems to solve in PriestVille,” said Ehrlich. “The first was the lengths that some players were willing to go to become Pope. It was horrifying. We had three reports of a player being blackmailed into quitting the race for Pope in the game. And the amount of player bullying we saw turned our stomachs. It was so awful that, on several occasions, we considered ending the game.”

Sounds like real life. How many priest are actually in it for ministering to the people and bringing them the sacraments and how many are there for other reasons ... how many are pedophiles who are posing as catholics so they can get into a rich target area ... that kind of thing.

I'm wondering what prompted SGR to put this game out. They aren't 'catholic' .. they aren't fundamentalist and trying to make some other religion look bad ... perhaps they are just brainstorming and came up with it because they are running out of other ideas ... or could there have been some outside influence that wanted it on Facebook. (I'm sure Facebook isn't as innocent as it appears)

Anyways .. I think it has had interesting results. Says alot about the cross section of humanity, about big organizations, about what drives people, etc. Not sure if it would directly translate to the same percentages of good guys/bad guys in the real priesthood .. but again ... it's interesting.

edit on 6/23/2011 by FlyersFan because: moved sentence

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm simply speechless OP.

S+F for attention. I wonder who had this idea or even suggested it for facebook...

Says alot about the cross section of humanity, about big organizations, about what drives people, etc.

Completely agree. "If it sells...." and all that.
edit on 23-6-2011 by ExistentialNightmare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I am still trying to figure out the purpose of this facebook game.

Is it innocent on the part of the game maker and they just want to make money?
Is there something behind it ... some kind of indoctrination or 'suck in' thing ?

Whatever it is, it's interesting that people got in to the game and, instead of acting all holy-holy as priests, they started blackmailing other members ( in the game, I don't think IRL) and bullying etc etc.

Edited to add ... I have a facebook account but I haven't checked into this game. (yet)
I'm pretty bored with all my other facebook games. I might try it out.
edit on 6/23/2011 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Whatever it is, it's interesting that people got in to the game and, instead of acting all holy-holy as priests, they started blackmailing other members ( in the game, I don't think IRL) and bullying etc etc.

It's a microcosm of the Roman Catholic Church, it really is. The only goal is to seek more power, gain more followers, fill the collection plates; that has to be the only goal.

Facebook or SNR Gaming obviously can't see anything wrong with turning "GOD" into a game. Of course, you know they'll do anything for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Peace op. Let me know if you find any other details out in your investigation.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I started playing last night after catching this thread... I don't play facebook games, but I felt the calling to be the Pope...

Basically you pick your side , either liberal or conservative... which ever side wins the papacy gets to make adjustments in the views of the church...

Then you do duties, debate and charge rent on your assets(such as a church and on up to different rooms in the vatican) to earn cash...

When I joined I was hoping you really debated, but basically you push a button and the priest with the most Charisma and integrity points wins.... of course you get integrity and charisma by buying things such as clothes, personal religious trinkets, texts, pictures of saints, etc...

the more people you have in your diocese the more items you can have in your arsenal during a debate... you build your diocese up by recruiting your friends to join or straight up buying members for 1 gold piece...

There are two forms of money gold and cash... gold is harder to come by than cash...

Even though I'm not Catholic, I was hoping this game had some value to it... like you actually could debate and learn... unfortunately, it's nothing but a quest for power...

The good news is I'm at level 10... Maybe one day I'll be Big Popein'....

top topics

join