It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autism-Mercury Link Appears To Be Established , attempted cover up by the U.S. Government is suspect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
David Baskin, M.D. Relation of Neurotoxic Effects of Thimerosal to Autism. IOM presentation, Feb 9, 2004.

Audio only: www.iom.edu...

=========
Thimerosal, which was supposedly removed from vaccines is in flu vaccines that will be administered to millions of Americans, babies and children included, this season.

Several vaccines regularly administered to infants, children, and pregnant women still contain thimerosal. .

Most widely known is vaccines for flu - Fluzone. Also available as Thimerosal-free but likely hard to be found.

List of vaccines with Thimerosal
=============

As many as 300,000 children are currently diagnosed with Autism in the U.S. and in Europe. A new book titled, _________________
begins to explain why this international atrocity happened and the role that the Government has played in this developing tragedy.

(PRWEB) August 9, 2004 -- Mercury is one of the most poisonous toxins known to medical science. It destroys brain cells on contact. Thimerosal ( a mercury compound )contains 49.6% mercury.

Thimerosal was intentionally put into baby vaccines by the vaccine manufactures in order to increase profits by way of multidose vaccines
that were given to millions of children across the U.S.A. and Europe.

The Government has attempted to "SEAL" public documents that proved the dangers of thimerosal and attempted to insert a last minute provision in the Homeland Security Bill that would make it all but impossible to bring legal suit against the companies responsible for this international tragedy.

The U.S. Government has further damaged the lives of these affected children in the U.S. by way of a vaccine injury court of law that has a "convenient" three year statute of limitation provision. Under current law, all suits are forced into this illegal court and then dismissed because of this three year statute. This clearly violates the Constitutional Rights of over 120,000 vaccine injured children in the U.S.A.

www.prweb.com...

[edit on 20-8-2004 by psilocin]

[edit on 22-8-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
psilocin,
That is only taking a part of the story and exponding on it (I am speaking of the article). Please look at the following

What is thimerosal? Thimerosal is a preservative that has been used in some vaccines since the 1930�s, when it was first introduced by Eli Lilly Company. It is 49.6% mercury by weight and is metabolized or degraded into ethylmercury and thiosalicylate. At concentrations found in vaccines, it meets the requirements for a preservative as set forth by the United States Pharmacopeia; that is, it kills the specified challenge organisms and is able to prevent the growth of the challenge fungi. Prior to its introduction in the 1930's, data were available in several animal species and humans providing evidence for its safety and effectiveness as a preservative. Since then, thimerosal has a long record of safe and effective use preventing bacterial and fungal contamination of vaccines, with no ill effects established other than minor local reactions at the site of injection. While the use of mercury-containing preservatives has declined in recent years with the development of new products formulated with alternative or no preservatives, thimerosal is still used in certain antivenins, skin test antigens, and ophthalmic and nasal products, in addition to certain vaccines recommended for adults or older children. As a vaccine preservative it is used in concentrations of 0.003% to 0.01%. A vaccine containing 0.01% thimerosal as a preservative contains 50 micrograms of thimerosal per 0.5 ml dose or approximately 25 micrograms of mercury per 0.5 mL dose.

This was found at the following URL: Thimerosal in Vaccines Frequently Asked Questions

The thing is the body metabolized or degraded into ethylmercury and thiosalicylate

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
What are you trying to present here. What's the other side of the story?
The addive has been removed and is no longer in use, why? Because it's unsafe! And the FDA knew it long before it took any action if any.

How safe is ethylmercury?

Now you explain me the reason why the kids should be injected with toxic chemicals, no matter how small the ammount, it is still a toxic chemical.

=======

1: J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1980 Feb;43(2):143-9.

Accidental ethyl mercury poisoning with nervous system, skeletal muscle, and myocardium injury.

Cinca I, Dumitrescu I, Onaca P, Serbanescu A, Nestorescu B.

Four case reports are presented of patients who ate the meat of a hog inadvertently fed seed treated with fungicides containing ethyl mercury chloride. The clinical, electrophysiological, and toxicological, and in two of the patients the pathological data, showed that this organic mercury compound has a very high toxicity not only for the brain, but also for the spinal motoneurones, peripheral nerves, skeletal muscles, and myocardium.

======

www.psychiatry24x7.com...

Bush Admin. Withdraws Motion to Seal Thimerosal Documents in Current Cases
Advocacy Groups Question Whether Future Cases Will Be Subject to the Secrecy Order
Washington, DC� The US Department of Justice agreed to withdraw its motion to
the US Court of Federal Claims Office of Special Master to seal all documents related to
present thimerosal-autism claims.

==
Congressman Calls for Criminal Penalties at Vaccine Mercury Hearings

By Valeria Williams / WFAA-TV

A United States congressman is calling for criminal penalties for any government agency that knew about the dangers of Thimerosal in vaccines, and did nothing to protect American children.

WFFA research showed that the FDA began asking questions about the dangers of Thimerosal back in 1972.

By 1992, the preservative had been pulled out of dog vaccines and contact lens solutions because of the risks.

However, it remained in vaccines for children until last year.

Government health officials squirmed uncomfortably in their seats June 20 as more evidence emerged suggesting that they misled the public.

"You mean to tell me that since 1929, we've been using Thimerosal," Congressman Dan Burton (R-Indiana) said to the officials, "and the only test that you know of is from 1929, and every one of those people had mennigitis, and they all died?"

For nearly an hour, Burton repeatedly asked FDA and CDC officials what they knew and when they knew it. And when memories seemed to be a bit fuzzy, the congressman produced old memos as a refresher.

One memo, from 1999, states that the FDA had an "interim plan ... already in place for many years" to get rid of Thimerosal.

The same e-mail also addresses the FDA's fear that it will be accused by the public of being "asleep at the switch for decades, by allowing a dangerous compound to remain in childhood vaccines".

Burton has proposed bringing criminal charges if it's proven the government agencies were involved in a cover-up.

"Look, I don't think it makes any difference whether it's a private company or a government agency," Burton said. "If they know they're harming somebody and they continue to let it happen, then they should be held accountable."

Burton asked the question several times June 20, but never got a direct answer.

"So what you do is keep making the case, and keep trying to get the message out to a broader and broader audience so that people start saying 'Why?'," Burton said. "When enough people say 'Why?', change starts to take place."

WFFA News June 20, 2002

Submitted By Dawn Richardson
VaccineInfo.net

==========

From the November 2002 Idaho Observer:

FDA can't answer questions about thimerosal

Although the toxicity of mercury is common knowledge, the FDA has drug its bureaucratic feet over the last several years as scientists and legislators have attempted to ban its use in vaccines and other drugs.
The following was transcribed from a newsclip that featured Rep. Dan Burton (R-Indiana) at a Congressional hearing June 20, 2002.

Last month a news ___ (?) investigation disclosed allegations that some government officials may have suppressed documentation about these risks.

What parents like Christy Earp (sp?) would like to ask this panel of government officials is, Why in 80 years, they have never ordered one clinical test on the effects of thimerosal in vaccines.

Congressman Burton asked the question several times today, but never got a direct answer. After the hearing, we tried --

[Female voice (Valerie?)]: �Dr. Eagan (sp?), I'm curious. Why were studies never done on thimerosal?�

[Garbled response - female voice - possibly saying �the press�]

�Dr. Eagan ... Dr. Eagan. Can you please tell us why studies were never done?�

[No response]

[Valerie]: Now, researchers say since the 1990s, autism rates in children have surpassed epilepsy, cerebral palsy, and mental retardation in this country. However, an FDA official today again insisted that he saw no problems with thimerosal in vaccines. Well, that's become kind of a two-edged sword because they have no studies to back that assertion up.

Note: On page 10 we learn that thimerosal, which was supposedly removed from vaccines last year, is in flu vaccines that will be administered to millions of Americans, babies and children included, this season.

proliberty.com...

=========

www.garynull.com...

CDC Scandal Emerges�Study Attempts Cover Up of Autism-Mercury Link
Congressman Dave Weldon, M.D., Asks CDC for Investigation

ORIGINAL CDC STUDY FOUND �INCREASING RISKS OF NEUROLOGIC DEVELOPMENTAL DISORDERS WITH INCREASING CUMULATIVE EXPOSURE TO THIMEROSAL...� NOW, THIRD REVISION OF SAME STUDY FINDS NO LINK

Washington, DC�A CDC study looking at Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD) data, published today in Pediatrics, is believed to contain fraudulent scientific data. The study reports no statistically-significant link between autism, ADHD, and developmental delays and the mercury-based vaccine preservative Thimerosal. All of these disorders were found in the CDC�s original investigation and have been removed.

Today�s Washington Times reports that U.S. Congressman Dave Weldon (R-FL), a physician, said in a letter to Dr. Julie Gerberding, Director of the CDC, �I have reviewed the article and have serious reservations about the four-year evolution and conclusions of this study.� And, �I found a disturbing pattern which merits a thorough, open, timely, and independent review by researchers outside of the CDC, HHS, the vaccine industry, and others with a conflict of interest in vaccine related issues.�

Dr. Tom Verstraeten, the lead investigator in the original study and author of the current article, is employed by vaccine-manufacturer giant GlaxoSmithKline, although the current article fails to disclose the clear conflict of interest.

The original February 2000 version of the VSD study, obtained through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), found that exposure to just three mercury-containing vaccines within the first three months of life could make children nearly two and one half times more likely to develop autism than children not exposed. The symptoms of autism mimic those of mercury poisoning.

A CDC meeting was held in June 2000 to discuss the original study�s findings. Transcripts, also obtained through FOIA, reveal CDC researchers and others conspiring to deliberately deceive the American people by minimizing the ill-affects of thimerosal.

Dr. Robert Brent, of Thomas Jefferson University and the Dupont Hospital for Children said, ��we are in a bad position from the standpoint of defending any lawsuits if they were initiated and I am concerned.�

Dr. Tom Verstraeten said, �...we have found statistically significant relationships between the exposures and outcomes for these different exposures and outcomes...� Also, �But one thing that is for sure, there is certainly an under-ascertainment of all of these because some of the children are just not old enough to be diagnosed.�

Bill Weil, M.D., representing the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), said, �You can play with this all you want.� [The numbers] are linear. They are statistically significant.�

When discussing data manipulation, Dr. Philip Rhodes, a statistician at the CDC and co-author of both studies said, �So you can push, I can pull. But there has been substantial movement from this very highly significant result down to a fairly marginal result.�

Dr. Mark Geier and MedCon, Inc. President, David Geier, are independent researchers, who at the behest of the U.S. Congress have analyzed the VSD data. They found an overwhelming epidemiological confirmation of a direct link between thimerosal and autism. In fact, the researchers found that the risk is comparable to smoking and lung cancer. Their study will be published in December in the peer-reviewed journal, Expert Review of Vaccines.

A study published this summer in a peer-reviewed journal by Dr. Jeff Bradstreet found mercury concentrations were significantly higher in children with autism vs. normal controls.

Another recent study published by independent researchers analyzed the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS,) a cooperative program of the CDC and FDA. This study found children were six times more likely to have autism after thimerosal-containing vaccines than children not exposed.
A July 2003 UPI Report found, after a four-month investigation, a web of close ties between the agency and the companies that make vaccines.

For copies of studies, data manipulation analysis, and CDC Meeting transcripts, visit www.momsonamissionforautism.org

========
CDC vaccines study slammed as cover-up

"We went to Atlanta," he continues, "to the CDC, and looked at the VSD data. There is thimerosal-containing DTaP [diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis vaccine] and thimerosal-free DTaP, so we asked a question: Among children that got a minimum of either three consecutive thimerosal-containing DTaPs or three consecutive thimerosal-free DTaPs, was there a difference in the number of autism cases in the two groups? We found mega differences. More than 20 times higher. The rate of autism in the children that got more than three doses of thimerosal-containing DTaP vaccines was much, much higher. Almost all the children that have autism in that group were the ones that got the thimerosal-containing DTaP vaccine. The more thimerosal the greater the cases of autism."

Mark Geier says, "Believe us, there is no scientific issue here. This is fraud. The CDC and the FDA [Food and Drug Administration] know what is happening. They just can't admit it because it is one of the worst things ever to have happened to this United States. If a terrorist had done this, we wouldn't attack them, we'd nuke them. We're talking about one in eight children in the U.S. that currently are in special education, and that number is going to change to about one in five. What percentage of our young population can we destroy before we realize how serious this is?"

www.worldnetdaily.com...

=====

[edit - remove irrelant text]

[edit on 19-8-2004 by psilocin]

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I am the parent of an autistic child. My son will never lead a normal life. He will probably never play sports; he will have very few if any friends. He will be ridiculed and made fun of, as he and his classmates get older. It is doubtful that he will have a girl fall in love with him much less get married and have a family. If he cannot learn to function on his own, I do not know what will happen to him when my wife and myself pass on. I watch him around other children and see him stand on the sidelines wanting to be part of the fun but not knowing really how to join in. Sometimes daddy is not enough to make up for what he is missing out on as a child. Everyday I have to watch my son suffer this way and it tears my heart everyday. I do know that thimerasol is responsible for his condition; most of the research I have read does show a strong link between the two. Because of this my son and thousands and thousands of other children have to live with this. We spend thousands and thousands each year trying to help our children. Our insurance companies do not reimburse most of us. IF the government and pharmaceutical companies did cover this up, I would hope for very long prison terms for each individual found guilty. There is no known cure for autism, so no amount of money will make amends for what was done to my child. They cannot buy him a childhood that he deserved to have, or buy him his dignity back when other children are humiliating him. The only thing money can do for him is to provide him more therapy in order to try and help him learn to function on his own. I know I am ranting here, and I am off topic, and I do apologize for that. If you have normal healthy children be thankful and never take that for granted.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by psilocin
What are you trying to present here. What's the other side of the story?
The addive has been removed and is no longer in use, why? Because it's unsafe! And the FDA knew it long before it took any action if any.

Are you sure it was because it was they found it to be unsafe? Or is it because a small group of loud people started complaining about it? I must apologize, because I didn't actually read your entire post, so I appologize if you already addressed this, but I have done a LOT of research on this topic. Yes there was Thimerosal in vaccines, however because there were a few complaints, companies decided to take it out, or drastically reduce it. I will say that it DOES still exceed safe EPA limits in certain cases, but it does not exceed FDA limits. I will leave it to you to decide how much you wanna trust the FDA though. My advice . . . keep the number of shots your child gets all at once to a minumum, and be sure that your child is getting plenty of water.

Also, Thimerasol isn't the only chemical that is getting into our bodies these days. Jet fuel has been found in dairy products in significant, and rising quantities, and many other chemicals. One that scares me is teflon. I haven't heard of Teflon poisoning, but who knows what cancer researchers 20 years from now will link to it.

To me this is a liquid issue. Drink water, and drink lots of it. Your body needs all the help it can get to clear this stuff out.

-P

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Would you mind sharing that reseach that you have done?
So far only link that you provided was FDA web site. How about some medical research done outside the scope of pharma sponsorship.
And as far as the other stuff you're trying to bring in here, and go off topic:
That stuff is not in the medicines that they mantatoraly inject into the kids.
I'm sorry but you're comparing whole different thing. I would not mind if you were comparing something that FDA actually aproves to be taken as medicine.

The issue here is not a "a small group " of people that complained about it.
Issue here is the fact that there were FDA memos reconsidering the satefy of the Thimerasol and nothing was done for a while.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
An intriguing topic, but I'm not seeing the dots connected in a very convincing manner.

I'm not saying there isn't a case here, but a strident press release and transcripts of innuendo won't win my support. At this point, my suspicions are aroused but unconfirmed.

If you can post a concise summary of the facts established so far, that may prove helpful.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I hope this clears thigs up.
Selected are highlights from the various sites.
With actual scientific studies at the end.
Enjoy.

biz.yahoo.com...

-Deny access to the Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD)
-
two independent researchers were the first to gain access to the database
found shocking evidence that the link between autism and thimerosal is real

-Data prove that children are 27 times more likely to develop autism after exposure to three TCVs, than those who receive thimerosal-free versions
Soon after, the CDC denied further access to these investigators.
- 10 months later, the CDC wants to close the VSD forever to those who seek the truth. CDC officials say it's to protect patient privacy.
-VSD was specifically created with patient privacy in mind to facilitate scientific research.

biz.yahoo.com...

LA Times article reported that Aventis-Pasteur, a pharmaceutical giant, is pushing to keep the toxin in U.S. vaccines

Aventis-Pasteur has solicited the help of the California Conference of Local Health Officials to oppose the bill.

Columbia University study which showed that a specific strain of mice developed autistic-like behaviors after being injected with Thimerosal.

A February 2000 study conducted by the CDC also found a link.

California's developmental services system has experienced the first ever nine-month sustained reduction in professionally-diagnosed new cases of full-syndrome autism. The reduction in numbers coincides with the reduction of Thimerosal.
=========

my.webmd.com...

exposure to the mercury-based vaccine preservative thimerosal can cause childhood neurological disorders like autism and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Cases have increased tenfold in the U.S. over the past three decades.

April issue of the journal Molecular Psychiatry,

exposure to thimerosal, even in doses as low as those contained in one vaccine, has the ability to disrupt methylation.

============

www.mothering.com...

Study from Columbia University demonstrates the link between Thimerosal,

Scientific findings that the IOM ignored when creating their recent report

The IOM was well aware that studies such as these were due for release, but chose to ignore them

Found that the administration of low-dose mercury�like that in children�s vaccines�can lead to behavioral and neurological changes in the developing brain.

Institute of Medicine (IOM) Immunization Safety Review Committee released a widely panned report that attempted to deny the mercury-vaccine-autism link
Findings in this study make clear that the IOM was more interested in regurgitating CDC spin than incorporating hard science, like Dr. Hornig�s report.

====================

www.enn.com...

the FDA has never required testing of its safety or of safe levels of exposure in newborns and children.
And the CDC never considered the consequences of increasing infants' exposure to mercury as it multiplied the number of suggested vaccines.

Congress had requested the FDA in 1997 to review mercury in products, and in 1998, the agency had banned all over-the-counter products containing thimerosal.

A year later, the FDA, CDC and National Institutes of Health issued a joint statement with the American Academy of Pediatrics
that urged vaccine manufacturers to stop using thimerosal because of a "theoretical potential for neurotoxicity."

Thomas Verstraeten
February 2000

analyses of the CDC's Vaccine Safety Datalink
earliest findings showed a risk of autism 2.48 times greater for infants who received the highest amounts of mercury in vaccines

June 2000
analysis showed a connection
between thimerosal exposure
and language, speech and developmental delays for infants up to six months old.

Although the FDA and CDC requested that thimerosal be removed from vaccines, no direct ban was ever issued, and the agencies' scientists have steadfastly defended thimerosal.

California Environmental Protection Agency
reviewed the scientific literature and concluded that thimerosal should be considered toxic.

thimerosal is still used in some vaccines
Fluzone by Aventis Pasteur,
Hepatitis B shot from GlaxoSmithKline.

ww3.komotv.com...
U.S. Panel Aims to Quash Vaccine-Autism Link

U.S. government panel has concluded decisively that childhood vaccinations do not cause autism.

IOM had already published two reports
, but there was not enough evidence to disprove a thimerosal-autism connection

Committee determined that five studies found a link between thimerosal and autism, and another two found a connection between MMR and the disease.

panel concluded the evidence presented was not compelling.

=====================

www.autism.com...

The Centers for Disease Control and the American Academy of Pediatrics have issued a statement asserting that �the available scientific evidence has not shown thimerosal-containing vaccines to be harmful.� Their statement is false.

scientific studies that demonstrate thimerosal, a mercury-containing substance that is used as a preservative, to be harmful and to be a highly probably causal factor in autism.

Partial list of studies linking thimerosal to Autism

Bernard S, Enayati A, Redwood L, Roger H, Binstock T. Autism: a novel form of mercury poisoning. Med. Hypotheses. 2001 Apr;56(4):462-71. PMID: 11339848

Geier DA, Geier MR. An assessment of the impact of thimerosal on childhood neurodevelopmental disorders. Pediatr Rehabil. 2003 Apr-Jun;6(2):97-102. PMID: 14534046

Geier MR, Geier DA. Neurodevelopmental disorders after thimerosal-containing vaccines: a brief communication. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2003 Jun;228(6):660-4. PMID: 12773696

Geier & Geier. Parents' worries about thimerosal in vaccines are well founded! pediatrics.aappublications.org...

David Baskin, M.D. et al. Thimerosal induces DNA breaks, caspase-3 activation, membrane damage, and cell death in cultured human neurons and fibroblasts. Toxicol Sci. 2003 Aug;74(2):361-8. Epub 2003 May 28. PMID: 12773768

Mady Hornig, M.D Etiologic factors and pathogenesis of autism: evidence from clinical studies and animal models. IOM presentation, Feb 9 2004 Audio only: www.iom.edu...

Richard C. Deth, Ph.D. Effects of Mercury on Methionine Synthase: Implications for Disordered Methylation in Autism DAN! 2003 Philadelphia - 216.117.159.91...

Richard C. Deth, Ph.D. A Link Between Thimerosal and the Brain: Can Vaccines Affect Central Nervous System Function? Molecular Psychiatry 2004, Volume 9.

Vojdani A, Pangborn JB et al. Infections, toxic chemicals and dietary peptides binding to lymphocyte receptors and tissue enzymes are major instigators of autoimmunity in autism. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2003 Sep-Dec;16(3):189-99. PMID: 14611720

Jeff Bradstreet, M.D. A Case-control Study of Mercury Burden in Children with Autistic Disorders and Measles Virus Genomic RNA in Cerebrospinal Fluid in Children with Regressive Autism. IOM presentation, Feb 9, 2004

Slides: www.iom.edu... - Audio: www.iom.edu...

Valsamakis A et al. Altered virulence of vaccine strains of measles virus after prolonged replication in human tissue. J Virol. 1999 73(10): 8791-7. PMID 10482633 jvi.asm.org...

The CDC's original findings before the CDC began to manipulate the data, obtained via the Freedom of Information Act: High risk values for thimerosal injections and a range of neurologic problems, including ADHD, tics, language problems, and autism. factsformedia.com...

Excerpts from CDC�s in-house conference: Thimerosal sequelae www.nationalautismassociation.org...

Congressman, Dr. Weldon's letter to the CDC director, available at: momsonamissionforautism.org...

Institute of Medicine presentation of Congressman Dave Weldon, M.D. - www.nationalautismassociation.org...

Geier MR, Geier DA. Autism and thimerosal-containing vaccines: analysis of the Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (VAERS). IOM presentation, Feb 9, 2004. Slides: www.iom.edu... -- Audio: www.iom.edu...

David Baskin, M.D. Relation of Neurotoxic Effects of Thimerosal to Autism. IOM presentation, Feb 9, 2004.

Audio only: www.iom.edu...

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Folks with Mercury poisoning often display Autistic charachteristics. Once going through chelation, many improve by leaps and bounds.

Also, is the vacciene and chemical what CAUSES autism, or is it just something that triggers what may already be there?

new topics

top topics

join