It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

having a pretty difficult issue with my neighbors..need advice

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Pay my airfare and i'll personally come and get rid of your neighbours permantly (By peaceful means), plus id like to shoot on your range

edit on 23-6-2011 by chaztekno because: addition.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
...this situation could get ugly at any time, as it involves a belligerent (sub)human and firearms. There has already been an implied threat from the neighbor, so if the OP

It's hard to say for sure, since I don't know anything about either person involved. The only one who can make the correct decision is KilrathiLG.

Based on the small amount of detail that I know about the neighbor, I have an idea about the type of person that I think he is. Obviously, I could be wrong, but all I can give is my opinion.

No matter where someone lives, you do not have to like your neighbors, but life will be much easier if you are on friendly terms with them. Based on the initial confrontation, this guy is not looking to be on friendly terms. That was his decision. The initial confrontation sets the stage for everything that follows.

There are a few different ways to deal with it. I am not disagreeing with you that things could get worse. That possibility is always there. Maybe you are right, and friendliness is the route to take, to keep the situation from growing into an even bigger issue. On the other hand, maybe I am right, and the best way to resolve the issue, is for the neighbor to fully understand that he is not in charge. If he does not see a show of strength, it is possible that things will get worse, because he will continue to feel a sort of superiority, and dominance.

Right now, everything lies on KilrathiLG's shoulders. The entire decision is his alone. All we can do is offer differing possible solutions. Maybe a solution that KilrathiLG had not yet thought of. Then he will have more options to compare, and hopefully he will then be able to reach the correct conclusion on his own. To that KilrathiLG, I wish you good luck.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I would call the cops next time you are going to shoot and notify them of your intentions.

Oh really , good for you . The cops already told the OP that it may be a good idea to shoot earlier , before 5:30 to appease the dickhead . We already know there is no noise ordinance and the OP is legal in everything he does . What's the point of calling a civil servant with a badge to do something that is absolutely legal ? The cops are full of advice and when they give you this wonderful advice they are giving you permission to do as they say . The OP is under absolutely no obligation to call a cop so the cop can manufacture law on the fly and by telling the OP to shoot before 5:30 is manufacturing law on the spot that's not contained in a law , statute or regulation . Never ask a cop if you can do that which is legal . When you ask police permission , you have a police state . I'm in no way interested in a cops opinion and will never notify them when i'm about to engage in something totally legal . Besides , the OP doesn't need to notify them when he shoots because the lying dickhead does and i'd put an end to that right quick . I had the ATF come to my place after i bought the machine gun to see how i was safely storing it when it was not in use . I told them to come back with a warrant . They've never come back and that was several years ago . Check the 4th Amendment . Rights not exercised are rights that will be lost . Aggie Man , if you find something so outrageous that you will protest or demonstrate will you call a cop first for advice ? You have the right to protest and demonstrate , it's a right and you require no permission . We keep our rights by using them and fighting for them , all of them . A cop cannot give me permission to be free . Freedom comes from a higher authority but far too many people have never read or studied our Constitution and will submit to any authority . This is exactly why we have the TSA feeling up women and children and an erosion of the 4th Amendment , because most will allow it . How about the 1st Amendment ? It's very legal to post on this forum , for now . Should you call a cop advising him that you're about to post , or to ask permission ? Not a chance . We , the people make those decisions at the ballot box when we exercise our right to vote which is covered under the 14th , 15th , 19th , 23rd , 24th and 25th Amendments to the Constitution . You're much better off with a Pocket Guide To The Constitution over an opinion of or permission from a cop . These's a lot of good stuff in our Constitution and folks should really read it .

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Jeezuz in "Montanna"?; I always thought it was a haven against that kinda' crap.

If you can't reach a consensus around a table with you, neighor bob and the local sheriff; over a few beers; you can always add courts,lawyers/ injunctions and harassment complaints.You have as much (imho more) righto use your property as he thinks he has to be free from "disturbing" noise.
He bought property not you.

By all means keep to the high road; be nice, document your shooting times so you can prove it's not "after hours"or unreasonably early.Continue being up front with the local cops/deputies.. You want them on your side.you could make concessions choosing quieter arms( but shouldn't be "made" too).

At one of our Air force small arms ranges in Germany the range had installed concrete drainage culverts lined with sheets of foam on the firing points to shoot the m-60's through ( cut down on the noise)..Perhaps you could mitigate some of the blast with log or old tire "walls" filled with dirt around your firing bench. Even just bolt together a stack of old tires; tip it over, and shoot through the center.

Be nice .... or you could shoot up their trailer and chase their selfish butts back north...

edit on 23-6-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
reply to post by RRokkyy

would i want to build it on top of the hill to focus the sound away or put it where i shoot at? currently i just shoot in to the side of a good sized hill but i have though about digging an area out of the hillside and making it have a flat back and like flat sides kinda like a U but facing twords me if that makes sense?

You build the wall right next to where you are shooting, directly
between you and your neighbor. Say about six feet
from your shooting bench rest. Make it 6 to 8 feet high and 10 feet long.
Probably doesnt have to be cemented even. Cost ,maybe a few hundred
dollars, Value if it solves the problem is priceless.

his house is about 1000 yards behind and to the RIGHT of where i shoot i shoot into the hill in an angle that only goes into the hill(60ishfeet tall) or at my 22 target i have set up(cheaper then dirt has good stuff) and baring a worst case misfire or bad shot it will go into forestry service land so the report might be louder twords him(bulk of my property is on the oppisite side and further away from him) but honestly if u heard how much the bulk of the neighborhood shoots it would kinda make most of us laugh but i can see how he can be getting fed up (some of them shoot what sounds like a cannon as late as 10pm) what mainly bugged me was his attitude and treating me as if i were a tennant and a child b4 even saying hello or asking my name

Who owns the property between your 4 acres and this guy who is 3,000 feet away?
If he is that far he should not even hear your pistol fire with a wall between you and him.
If you could put your house between where you shoot and your neighbor that should also help.
Building a cave,two walls with a roof, to shoot from would act like a silencer,

Shooting into a hill sloped at 45 degrees with a rifle is dangerous. The bullets
may ricochet up and travel for a great distance. Best to cut a 90 degree area
out of the hill.

www.thehighroad.org...

wuchak September 30, 2006, 10:57 PM Have you tried inviting them over to shoot with you? Your idea for a sound proofed shooting booth might work to reduce the noise enough. The booth would probably have to extend close to 6 feet beyond the end of the muzzle to contain enough of the noise for it to work. If it was completly enclosed and sound proofed except for one end then a large fan should provide adequate ventilation and airflow. Foam might work but you might also be able to use old carpeting which you can probably get for free from a place that installs it if you ask them about taking the old carpeting they remove when they put down new. It might take a few layers but the price would be right.

tulsamal October 2, 2006, 02:27 AM I'm remembering something one of the gun writers built and wrote about years ago. I _think_ it was Rick Jamison although I could be wrong. He took a bunch of old tires and lined them up. I remember he filled them with rocks held in with chicken wire or concrete. Anyway, the basic idea was the line of tires came right to the end of his bench. Something like 6 to 10 tires one right after the other and connected to each other. And then he would have the end of the rifle inside the first tire when he fired. Essentially he had a very large silencer that wasn't actually connected to the rifle muzzle. And which was big enough inside that he could easily see his targets. If you used large truck tires or something, you would have lots of room. The blast would get knocked down by a tremendous amount. I thougth at the time it would be a nice idea just so your own family doesn't have to deal with the concussion when you are doing load testing on your new super magnum!

www.thehighroad.org...
Quieter range shooting - "Silencer box" idea

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I actually recently moved from a situation where everyone lives on three acres and there is a lot of target practise going on.

I can see why your neighbor is upset for two possible reasons:

1) the noise

we had a neighbor with three teens and I don't think bagdad had this many shots going off in the heat of the war. I don't know how their parents could afford all this ammo, but it was the most annoying thing ever.

People move to the country for quiet. Guns aren't quiet.

2) Your afraid to go near that area to hike or whatever, because you don't know where the shooters are, and your worried about stray bullets.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

As I said, we have lots of gun loving neighbors and even inside with the windows closed, you can still hear them going off from acres away. IT gets very annoying.

My suggestion to the poster if you want to keep friendly ties to your neighbor is to set up certain times that you do it, so they know when to expect it.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by bandito

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I would call the cops next time you are going to shoot and notify them of your intentions.

What's the point of calling a civil servant with a badge to do something that is absolutely legal ?

Wow, that was quite the rant there. Not once did I mention the OP asking the police for permission. The point of calling the police in advance is to offer them the opportunity to put an end to the neighbor's complaints by being there first hand to witness the OP's shooting activities before the neighbor files the complaint. Once the cops see that the neighbor is full of it, then they will ignore any future complaints from the neighbor.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Just to protect yourself from any possible law suits, I would record the shots by the other neighbors and video yourself to prove you are not the only one disturbing these neighbors. If you see the cops drive up, I would try to get your dog into the house before they get out of their car. You don't want to have a trigger happy police officer shooting your dog.

You sound like you're a level headed person that just wants to get along with your neighbors. Unfortunately if the neighbors don't like hearing gun shots, they really don't have any other recourse but to sell their house and move to a quieter location.

Maybe they should have asked the previous owner and realtor about the importance of a quiet area before purchasing their home. I hope things work out for you.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

simple as this,go to your neighbour.tell him you are continuing shooting try to reassure him you arent a conspiracy nutjob or clock tower sniper,then tell him that for example you will be practising on a saturday morning or thursday night etc.explain that if you rode dirt bikes or tuned v8s as a hobby he would have no way of
complaining and it would be an equivalent noise nuisance.hopefully this will be reaasuring for him.even invite him or his son over for a shot.might make him less excluded and therefore fearful.
lastly as a precaution for your own peace of mind,log every conversation the time and place.and also when you have been shooting,how many rounds,what gun etc and the time.will only take a couple bucks and a few minutes a week.however if it ever turns into a legal matter,it shows you had figured the situation to be potentially a problem and you tried to remedy it.also it will be invaluable to your lawyer in any litigation
hope this helps......at least you can still buy guns.lol.here in scotland we will be fighting the aliens,illuminatti,zombies,chinese,etc with air weapons.
good luck

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Personally, I would make sure to shoot everyday until the neighbor got used to it or moved away. Just for peace of mind and protection of your dog, maybe I would give a courtesy call to the local authorities each day before I began shooting.

Just to be as much of an azz as possible, I would probably also invite the local cops to come shoot if they were so inclined. Invite over anybody with specialty weapons that might be interesting to shoot. Maybe barbeque every weekend and let everyone swap and share their guns. Make an event out of it, LOL!

One thing for certain, I would shoot immediately during or after any call to the cops, just to drive home the point that what you are doing is legal.

It might not hurt to file an injunction against the neighbor for harassment, just to have it on record in case your dog does ever get hurt, or in case the neighbor's son does show up and you are forced to defend yourself. Get as much documentation done ahead of time as possible so that the law is on your side.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Dude don't take that # from them. It's your property after that # they pulled the only thing you should be doing is shooting more with louder guns cmon now. And they tried to use scare tactics saying there 18 year old son is big... if he's so big why's he offended by gun shots.. honestly you should get some machine guns... maybe an anti aircraft gun or 2 and fire that # from sun up to sun down.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Here’s some pretty valuable information.

Property rights. What about property rights? More specifically, what about the property rights of a person who wishes to shoot on his private property versus the rights of a neighbor who doesn't understand or doesn't like shooting, or who is not acquainted with the shooting culture of Montana? What about the "corresponding responsibilities" for property rights mentioned in the Montana Constitution?

Certainly a property owners have a right to be safe on their property. There may be, however, a difference between actual safety and a perception of safety. With few exceptions, the law does not protect people from their perceptions, only from reality. The "corresponding responsibilities" of a property owner shooting on his property is to not place neighbors at risk of actual harm.

www.mtssa.org...

With that said, I can certainly understand (being a neighbor of many people who own and shoot their guns) what it’s like on the other side. Pretty frightening if you’re out gardening and then you hear a bunch of shots in the woods. You don’t know if they're aimed at you or what. Currently, I don’t own a gun, but have had many in the past. Currently, I’m looking for a 22 rifle for pests. I live in the country and although most of our adjoining lands are a few acres, shots can be heard and oftentimes they sound very close. But, I know my neighbors and one is a sheriff (who has said there’s nothing we can do about the gun shooting – it’s a personal right). So, with that said, good luck. In time, either your neighbor will get used to it or he’ll move or just go nuts – or drive everyone else nuts in the process. Little you can do about him either, unfortunately.

peace y'all

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I was in a similar situation like this in Texas, back in 2004.
The thing that helped was inviting the cops to come shoot anytime they wanted without me being home or otherwise. When my neighbor came barreling up the drive to bitch at the guy shooting he was bitching the captain of the local police department swat team. LOL

The reason the cops like coming to our land so much was because we had no regulations on what was shot, and what you could shoot at, and cops like blowing stuff up too. Also a lot of cops have less then legal fire arms at home that they want to shoot and can't do it on regulated ranges without a hassle.

Eventually the neighbor got the hint and stopped bitching about it, sadly when he lost his job he became my yard guy.

My point is, invite the cops and their buddies out to shoot on your property anytime they want, make friends with them and they will always have your back.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Get a class III license and get a full auto make it really worth their while.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
If you are within the law dont change what you want to legally do on your OWN land. I wouldnt change one thing I was doing... and let the idiot deal with the law when they get sick of being USED to harass you. Once you start tiptoeing around a whiner, youll be doing it forever. I swear I think its a narcissistic power thing with this type. They love to make people dance and impose their wishes on others. Im telling you my friend, if Id have had sights on me on my own property due to a false call.. the earth would have slid off of its axis with my wrath.

Maybe its because Im old and grumpy... nahh... it IS because Im old and grumpy, but Id put him in his place. No trespassing signs, get him warned, leave a paper trail, and secure your right to do as you wish on your own property with your own legal firearms. Id have a restraining order on the entire family by time I was done.... and an injunction. I swear to God.. all 5'4" 120 Lb of me would have told the guy get off my land or go get your kid to kick my ass... one way or another this will end today. I hate folks who make sad little empty threats.

My question is.. why are you so complacent and so easily intimidated?? WHy would you let another person dictate to you what you can and cant do? You apparently think its okay for people to harass you and the police to draw on you... becuase you havent nipped it in the bud. If you dont establish your rights to your own property, Mr idiot will forever be a thorn in your side.

Me? My whole family is from Montana, dingbat has no idea what he has bitten off trying to suppress the right to fire weapons on your own property... but hey, you want to let strangers dictate what you do with something as pathetic as a threat and a lying false call to cops.. have at it
I also have NO idea where people get off coming to this country and trying to change long standing existing laws and cultural norms. Not just Canadians obviously, half of my relatives are Canadian... its just the freaking ARROGANCE that is annoying as hell. We've lived in several differnt countries.. a few for extended periods of time.. and never once have we tried to make anywhere we lived the "US". In London for over a year and we didnt demand to shoot in our back yards or try to impress our wants on others around us.

OP.. here is what you do. Get a big freaking map. Put it down in front of him. Circle Illinois in big bold red marker. Tell him THAT is where he wants to live and should start packing now. I live here now unfortunately. He should LOVE the firearm hating police state of Illinois.
He loves deer? WONDERFUL! Barely any way to thin the herds adn we have deer right in the middle of the city where I live eating up everything you plant. Let him deal with the dead diseased ones hanging around so he can see the sense in actually thinning large pops. We had 2 does in teh middle of an intersection by Quicktrip, not a gun in sight, and .. he will LOVE it here.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
your land, and your not breaking any laws.
keep on shooting, shoot at the same time everyday and increase how much you shoot.
don't let some one try to intimidate you, do not decrease the time and amount you shoot.
this will show him that he can't push you around. you are with in your rights, if your are not breaking any laws. if you change the way you do things it will show him he can.

when you get done shooting sit out on the front porch with a pitcher of lemonade and wait for the cops and pour them a tall glass when they get there.

and always when you get done shooting clean and lock up your guns, of course a good shooter does this.
but in doing this if any more night time police calls come you can always show them your cleaned and oiled guns.

i don't know if your the newbie in the hood or if it's him, but i've seen this time and time again. some body moves in and some one tries to start pushing people around , and the whole neighborhood goes to sh##.

edit on 23-6-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
1) You are not breaking the law.
2) This is the United States, NOT Canada. We have the 2nd Amendment.
3) Next time he comes on your land, let him know you're withing your legal rights to shoot a gun on YOUR property.
4) Does he rent? I would assume so, since he assumes YOU are. If so, notify HIS landlord of the problem he's causing.
5) Let him know that if he comes on YOUR property again, you will notify the police.
6) Notify the police. Maybe they can explain the laws.
7) Get a restraining order.
8) If he violates the restraining order, push for prosecution (might be a deport-able offense)
9) Never let ANYONE tell YOU what YOU can or can't do on YOUR property, if it's withing the law for YOU do do so.

That's my take. If his son comes over, shoot him with salt rock or bean bag rounds. He won't be "big and bad" after that. I don't know if Montana has the "make my day" law like Colorado does.

Personally, I would report the confrontation to the police anyway, because it sounds to me like he made a threat with what he said about his son. Cover your butt! Also, get a digital voice recorder, and record any future conversations, as evidence. It sounds to me like they're brain dead leftists who simply hate guns, and I wouldn't put it past them to make up a story that you threatened them. If you have the audio, you'll be covered.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I see the problem right off the back, your neighbors move in and expect to dictate the happenings on your property as if it was an extension of their own. First, you need to go to your local law enforcement and file a complaint against them, you need to have on record this matter from your perspective because they are successfully building one against you. They are attempting to make you out to be some type of outlaw. Is your property fenced off? If not do so. Post No Trespassing and Private Property signs on your fence at eye level on each side facing anyone who tries to enter your property. Be sure to have a gate to your fence and keep it locked. Push comes to shove you may need to get an restraining order on these people. Yes, I realize you're in a rural setting but you must have these people's behavior on file because this situation can get worse. To threaten you on first meeting you, oh you have some questionable people living next to you and must do what you can to legally protect yourself. If necessary consult a attorney for other legal options. You officially have NEIGHBORS FROM HELL!
edit on 23-6-2011 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
1) You are not breaking the law.
2) This is the United States, NOT Canada. We have the 2nd Amendment.
3) Next time he comes on your land, let him know you're withing your legal rights to shoot a gun on YOUR property.
4) Does he rent? I would assume so, since he assumes YOU are. If so, notify HIS landlord of the problem he's causing.
5) Let him know that if he comes on YOUR property again, you will notify the police.
6) Notify the police. Maybe they can explain the laws.
7) Get a restraining order.
8) If he violates the restraining order, push for prosecution (might be a deport-able offense)
9) Never let ANYONE tell YOU what YOU can or can't do on YOUR property, if it's withing the law for YOU do do so.

That's my take. If his son comes over, shoot him with salt rock or bean bag rounds. He won't be "big and bad" after that. I don't know if Montana has the "make my day" law like Colorado does.

Personally, I would report the confrontation to the police anyway, because it sounds to me like he made a threat with what he said about his son. Cover your butt! Also, get a digital voice recorder, and record any future conversations, as evidence. It sounds to me like they're brain dead leftists who simply hate guns, and I wouldn't put it past them to make up a story that you threatened them. If you have the audio, you'll be covered.

On point and good advice. The audio recording is great and I would venture to say he may need to set up video camera (or cameras) on his property, these people are on a mission and it's not to be his friends.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join