It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

having a pretty difficult issue with my neighbors..need advice

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
invite your neighbor over to shoot with you.
Screw that *snip*.

Dude obviously has an attitude problem. You are suggesting that he should be friendly, and extra nice to this prick that keeps calling the cops and and telling them lies about you??

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
Actually that is a lie....I would be shooting more often.
This may not be the most sophisticated solution, but I would too. I would even tell him straight up, "Ok. If that's how you wanna play it, I might as well give you a reason to call them."

Honestly KilrathiLG, I think you have handled the situation too friendly. He threatened you from the first conversation he had with you. Whether you realize it or not (which I think you do), him mentioning his 'big' son was a threat. You don't walk onto someone else's land (especially if they're already outside shooting), and threaten them, and continue to be treated in a friendly manner.

You've tried nice. Obviously, nice isn't working. I am not saying to be violent, or mean, or to actually hurt the guy, but he may need to know that you're not as nice as he thinks you are. Shoulda kept that beard. Beards scare people lol.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

thats what got me so mad is admitly i look quite young with out my beard and with a crew cut basicly(not a skin head just dislike hair cuts) is i think he thought he was coming over and busting some punk kid who he could get introuble with the "land lord" only to find out not only am i the land lord but im 25 and not some young teen aged kid renting and i made it clear i wasent intimidated by his blustering it seemed to put him off but then i think he thought i was also ignorant of the laws and regulations so i told him i knew the laws and that while i apreciated him coming over and talking to me i didnt aprecaite the speed he came up my driveway and his over all hostile tone but i dunno i think i might have gotten under his skin by not being intimidated by him let alone his kid so yeah thats how i took it thank you for replying this is acutaly making me feel a good deal better

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

eh i will give him this as im a bit more calm now while i wasent shooting today it sounded like some one was firing off a cannon for a good deal of time and 4 people shooting behind my property and what sounded like blasting at noon so to devils advocate for him he may have honestly thought it was me when it wasent he could be being intentionaly mean but id like to hope not> i look at it this way at least when im hearing gun shots i know some ones problay doing target practice or shooting dinner not shooting some one for there dinner money ya know?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

i would but from what little ive gatherd (assuming here) that he dosent own any or have a desire to he might just be one of those full on nature people who dosent wanan loose his deer but as they sleep in my backyard and wonder over to his accross the creek its kinda pointles as i cant get rid of them if i wanted(they keep eating my flowers!)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

it's your property, geeze!

this guy is a nut case! he didn't know what you looked liked before he saw you, did he?

gotta have a screw loose to do what he did.

ask the cops for a background check on this guy.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

im trying to do it this way because i used to be a social parahia in my old neighborhood as i was a terrorist when i was a young kid and a teenager(kept the crime out mind you i was just always up to mischeif) and the combination of i came out here partialy because local law enforcement was harassing and following me around where ever i went in after highschool and for a period of time i almost had to file charges(not saying i was innocent of eveything i was quite the dumb kid but all that idiocy is behind me and whatnot) so mostly i feel like i dont wanan get back to the place i was where they all look at me funny and think im crazy or dis like me mixed with the factor of i realy realy feel uncomfortable most times around cops due to how ive been treated in the past and how i kinda have anxiety about it still even when im doing nothing wrong the theres a shark after me feeling is just now starting to go away so that for me is a part of it if that makes any sense?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Originally posted by The Old American
invite your neighbor over to shoot with you.
Screw that *snip*.

Dude obviously has an attitude problem. You are suggesting that he should be friendly, and extra nice to this prick that keeps calling the cops and and telling them lies about you??

Why not attempt be neighborly about it? Inviting the neighbor over to shoot in the name of neighborliness will put the other fella on the hot seat. He'll either have to grow a pair and accept the invite, or admit (obliquely) to being a d-bag by not accepting this nice gentleman's offer of truce.

Either way, the OP wins, because if the guy declines, he can go back to my original suggestions. Especially #3.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

you sound like a great person and a great neighbor.

i wonder if he has dogs and if they chase the deer.

good luck with this guy.

eta; didn't know about the terrorist thing, lol, you mean you were a terror when you were young.

right?

edit on 23-6-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

the ammount of land i purchased was with the intention of shooting on my land with the exception of the sightign in of the rifle(when the cops showed up) all i have even considerd firing is my mk3 ruger(have not been able to even sight in my new scope yet) ive asked for advice in the gun stores they just offer to sell me louder sounding guns
and i even asked if there are any shootign ranges around here and from what they said id have to drive 40 miles to get to one and that one is a members only thing so i dunno about that but it is an option ive considered im just hoping his first fourth of jully out here teaches him there will always be loud boomy things going on in montana!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Good post OP, im in the UK so unfortunately dont have any weapons, but i would love a Mosin Nagant, as soon as you said you owned one i instantly became jealous ! Ive wanted to fire one of those ever since i used it on Call of Duty 3
My favourite of the bolt action rifles of that era for sure !

It sounds to me like your neighbour is just being a douche to be perfectly honest, is it really that hard to carry on with your life after you hear a gunshot ? Its not like your firing a machine gun fully automatic and reloading quickly and emptying rounds you know ?

If what you say is truthful then you've only fired a few shots with a small gap inbetween i imagine, so what has he got to complain about !? It must be the deer thing i dont see how anyone can be annoyed by just hearing the oddgunshot in the early evening/afternoon. If it is the deer thing, who the hell moves house to watch deer lol..

Must be a Canadian thing

This is also coming from someone who rarely hears gunshots as i dont live in rural areas and im in the UK, i hear sirens all the time in the distance, mainly from ambulances, sometimes police, but i dont complain about that & thats alot more annoying than what you've described !

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I would take the neighbor to court for making a false police report and endangering your life. You could have been killed by police in the first incident. Don't you care about that?

Maybe you are trying to be nice about things, this other guy isn't. Therefore, throw nice out the window and use the law to your advantage.

That said, I personally don't like guns (though I support people's right to own them) and I would be very annoyed if my neighbors were shooting them on a daily basis. Doesn't that violate some kind of noise law? If you actually want to hammer out some kind of peace, I would try to get a neighborhood meeting of this guy, yourself and all the gun owners nearby, and work out some kind of deal where maybe the guns could be used between a certain range of hours only. Like if my neighbors were all gun nuts, but they agreed to only shoot them between 5-7 PM or something, I think I could deal with that.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

he has a dog it comes over all the time and trys to play with my pitbull....thats the main thing im worried about is the cops showing up some time because some one is shooting i wont be home so they might come into the house and shoot my dog (he snarls at anything in uniform and for some reason Mongolians)and if that were to happen i can say with out a dobut then it would be a very very bad and grave situation as hes my furry little child and saved my life twice allready and thank you for the good neighbor comment because honestly thats what im tryign to do i may have kept crime otu of my neighborhood but i sitll caused them lots of stress so im just trying to get along although it does get better in winter as half the neighborhood goes back home so then theres no one around to complain
and i dont wanan come off as being anti candian i realy do like them the guy that put my roof on was named mark bassett and he used to be a professional candian hockey player from what he told me and he was one of the coolest people ive met in years so to all you candians out here sorry if i offended

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99

That said, I personally don't like guns (though I support people's right to own them) and I would be very annoyed if my neighbors were shooting them on a daily basis. Doesn't that violate some kind of noise law? If you actually want to hammer out some kind of peace, I would try to get a neighborhood meeting of this guy, yourself and all the gun owners nearby, and work out some kind of deal where maybe the guns could be used between a certain range of hours only. Like if my neighbors were all gun nuts, but they agreed to only shoot them between 5-7 PM or something, I think I could deal with that.

4 acres is almost 4 American football fields. Even his Mosin-Nagant can barely be heard from 4 football fields away from inside a home. His neighbor is just being childish.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Observer99

you are right in the first part,

noise ordnance?

in montana?

if he wants to get all national geo, he moved to the wrong place.

jersey has more deer and less ..well i was gonna say gunshots...but..

anyway,

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Launch an immediate counter attack . Into the police department , Sheriff or whoever . File a formal complaint about the neighbor , on two false complaints on you now . Put up , if you don't have signs , no trespassing signs and make it clear that you'll file trespassing charges on the neighbor if he ever shows up on your property again . Make it very clear to the Sheriff that his deputies have been to your place twice now on false complaints and if it happens once more there will be harassment charges file against them . Get an AK-47 and rattle the hills with gun fire . Tell the Sheriff that you've now had guns pulled on you , on your private property while you were doing something totally legal because of false complaints and you will not stand for it again and will take legal action . Do not be even slightly intimidated when you have done nothing wrong . Take the fight right to them . Tell the Sheriff that you are going to make an appointment with the DA to explain what has happened to you and the danger you have been in with guns pointed at you on the second unfounded false complaint . Get an AK-47 and rattle the hills . Go to your neighbors who also shoot and tell them what has happened with this Canadian , trespassing , false reports and guns pulled on you . Do not let the police suggest or dictate the times you can fire your guns . If it's legal to shoot all night , and it is as varmint hunters do it then shoot all night . If you're not a member then join the NRA and talk to your regional rep and do that right away . If you don't stand up for yourself you'll get walked on . Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper outlining every fact of the events with attention to the fact that a citizen of the USA and a citizen of Montana is suffering at the hands of a citizen of Canada in your own state and in your own country . That will put public opinion solidly behind you and the police as well as the office of the DA reads that also . Same thing happened to me when an urbanite from Minneapolis bought the property beside me . I built a range on my property 30 years ago . He reported full auto gunfire and the Sheriffs Department came racing in . I hit back with everything outlined above . I never had a full auto in my life and had to jump through the red tape and paper work but i have one now and , no , i won't buy a suppressor for anything when everything i do is legal . Take the fight straight back . Demand that the police serve the Canadian with one warning as you won't stand for one more false complaint , trespassing or guns pointed at you and all h*ll will break open if it happens again . The NRA was of great help to me . Your membership is also an insurance policy for legal representation . Document everything . Write it down . You are entitled to copies of the false reports and complaints as well as police reports and that's enough after it's happened twice . I'm a member of the GOA also and they are more radical in defending gun owners than the NRA .

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanishr

its gotten to the point of they come even when its not me so im almost afraid to fire just do i dont have to deal with them i like the idea of calling the cops each time ill have to test that one out of them i have allready agreed on my own if im gonan do any shooting its gonna be in the hours of noon and 4 and assume that he will be at work most of the time(pisses me off a bit but if it keeps my dog and my roomates safe its worth it) it pains me to have to do this as shooting for me is therapy in a way i used to be distructive and smash stuff but now i just shoot coke cans its far better this was and i feel that i am loosing one of my coping mechanisms and the fact that honestly i moved out here to get away from these kinds of people i view it its my land and as long as im not being a nusiance or a danger to any one u let me be and ill let you be...something this state was known for but hey atleast i got frendly cops and thats almost worth its weight in gold hell they offered to let me shoot with them some time so they obiously dont think im a criminal or a bad person and that to me at least helps

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I wish I could help you out, man. I really do. S&F for you. Best I can do right now

/TOA

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

his house is about 1000 yards behind and to the RIGHT of where i shoot i shoot into the hill in an angle that only goes into the hill(60ishfeet tall) or at my 22 target i have set up(cheaper then dirt has good stuff) and baring a worst case misfire or bad shot it will go into forestry service land so the report might be louder twords him(bulk of my property is on the oppisite side and further away from him) but honestly if u heard how much the bulk of the neighborhood shoots it would kinda make most of us laugh but i can see how he can be getting fed up (some of them shoot what sounds like a cannon as late as 10pm) what mainly bugged me was his attitude and treating me as if i were a tennant and a child b4 even saying hello or asking my name

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

are they shooting?

do you know all that goes on? are you home all the time.

just trying to establish if you are the only shooter on the property and present if others are shooting.

eta; friendly cops are a good thing!
edit on 23-6-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

haha yeah from what i gather noise ordances apply to towns after 10pm not out in the sticks its pretty much just dont be a donky out here and your not supposed to have problems hopefully tomrrow i can work something out or better yet talk to his wife when hes not home and explain the legality of what im doing mixed with the thigns ive allready done to try to help the situation (not shooting as late purchassing a 250$ 22 so i could shoot a quieter calibur) and express my concerns about my dog and the police and hopefully she can make it clear to him baring that i guess id have to take legal steps after that but id realy rather not have to involve cops more then they are but i wont have my pet or my life or my roomates lives risked by one angry man

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join