It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self Esteem Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
So Dove has this self esteem project going in and they created a few commercials that I thought were pretty interesting and put it in perspective I guess what a little girl would see growing up in the world today all over TV and on magazines so ill post what I can here, and I would love opinions on them.

This was by far my favorite one:

And here an organization called GreenPeace did a mock commerical.

Pretty intense stuff! I actually never seen the commercials before I saw them on youtube so just thought ide present them here and get some opinions on them.

edit on 23-6-2011 by Jess_Undefined because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2011 by Jess_Undefined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Ill post more as I find them but I also wanna know, since TV and Magazine and everywhere pushes these imagines, do men seem to have higher standards for woman because of this?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

Most men take it as it comes.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Wow, I mean I always knew this was the way things are but its....its just sad. Guys are subjected to be macho, big muscles, and to have nice cars, alot of money, cool friends and to have girls all over them. but this is simply not reality.

Beauty is not computer made, it isn't made by makeup. The most beautiful people don't indulge in this. They just let themselves be. If you give in to this brainwashing, you should be ashamed of yourself. I'm speaking from the heart. I am a male. And i am young, but i know one thing. That this must be stopped. There is so many wrong things going on in the world right now. This is just one of many. I say we do it one step at a time, but i am afraid there's nothing we can do. the rich can do anything...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Ive heard dove is a huge destroyer of many areas. For mass profits everywhere. Im all for empowering women, but when you are destroying womens lives somewhere else, does it make up for it?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The fact is, this will always be around as far as we know, and it most likely wont stop. I remember growing up in my grandmas house she was obsessed with weight and I was always made to get on the scale and I was either too think or too fat and there was never an in between. I got diagnosed with Chrones Disease when I was 18 and I got really sick and couldnt eat and when I did I would throw it up because it made me sick, so I lost an unhealthy amount of weight and my grandma gave me hell for it all the time even though there was nothing I could do.

I also remember a time where I had just woken up and went to her work (Big Lots) and she got mad at me and said I embarrassed her because I didn't have makeup on or had my hair done. So it can also be family members that subject girls to this type of thing also.

But I had horrible self esteem for years, I remember I thought I had to have a tan and perfect hair and wear skimpy clothes just to be considered pretty and I wouldn't leave the house without putting on a layer of fake tan and makeup and an hour on my hair and the right clothes. It disgusted me because that wasn't the real me.

It took me a long time to recognize that I dont have to cover my freckles, its okay to not have a tan, and its okay to walk out the house with your hair undone.

I wish more girls could come to this realization and sooner than I did.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by youwouldknow

Im sure that question was theoretical. Right? Each day I live....The more i get pissed at the world. Will people ever think ?? hmm maybe i should think about whats in this? Or maybe i should think about how they got this? But no people, would rather smell like whale piss, and put urine all over their face.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

As long as tv tells them what to do there is no hope. How can the leaders of these huge companies live with themselves knowing they tear peoples self esteem apart? Some even kill themselves because of it. I always say, They shouldnt feed into it, they shouldnt care about what people think of them. Its true. But im not a girl so ill never understand. I couldnt give a S**T less what people say about me. I have long hair, so? I have a sort of unibrow I dont give a F. I get pimples sometimes, who cares? Im me, and because of that fact im better than you, you smug sons of B***HES! im feeling fiery now. Ahhhhhh

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
S&F

Remember though.. Its those people who live with low self esteem at any point in their lives, who understand the issue more so than others, and tend to not be so superficial. But.. if they ever fall on the "good looks" side of life later on, they become overly superficial and sometimes downright prickish. Kinda like the kid who got picked on who becomes a cop to boost his self esteem and kicks around anyone he can push his weight upon.

But.. I find that its the ones who do get kicked around most of their lives that have the most compassion. We are creatures of our own surroundings for sure...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

What you mentioned about your girlfriend made me want to post this one,
maybe even show it to her Reese =]

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
That touched me. So much that I had to wake her up to tell her how beautiful she is. Ahhh If there's anything good in life it is love.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Reese is spot on, I really don't care how I look and I don't give a sh** what anyone else thinks about me. My hair is usually just messy, I throw on a pair of levis, Comfy sneakers and any T-shirt I can find and I'm sorted. These kids grooming themselves like little princesses pisses me off, The skinny jeans and tight v-neck sweater, The beenie, The backpacks, the high top shoes, The numberless knock off Ray Ban Wayfarers!. I mean c'mon what kind of imagine are you trying to portray? Some type of skater look? We'll these hip hoppers need to leave that to the skaters. Dress depending on your personality and never do it to impress anyone else, So women shouldn't really need to dress like who**s in order to get a males attention. After all very few people marry that model they flirted with in their youth, They prefer simple down to earth women.

The only makeup my girlfriend wears is eye liner!

edit on 23-6-2011 by Serizawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

To be fair, us guys have it easier. I got into the habit of wearing black shirts back in High school and as of right now i have about 10 black t shirts, 5 black dress shirts, 3 black dress pants, 5 black jeans, 5 black jean shorts, 5 black gym shorts, 3 pairs of black sneakers. Total cost of clothes less than a thousand dollars and I have not had to go shopping for clothes in close to a year.

On the other hand you have someone like my girlfriend who's closet is 3 times the size of mine and she has shoes and bags that cost well over a grand. She grew up in an environment where wearing expensive clothes were a norm and god forbid you wear the same thing twice. She doesn't do it for her self esteem because when we go out with my friends she wears whatever but when we go to visit her family/friends she has to go shopping the day before.

In her case it just goes to show that you can have high self esteem but still fall victim to peer pressure which i believe is what makes her do all this.

top topics

join