It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum magic trick shows reality is what you make it ....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

"Conjurers frequently appear to make balls jump between upturned cups. In quantum systems, where the properties of an object, including its location, can vary depending on how you observe them, such feats should be possible without sleight of hand. Now this startling characteristic has been demonstrated experimentally, using a single photon that exists in three locations at once. Despite quantum theory's knack for explaining experimental results, some physicists have found its weirdness too much to swallow. Albert Einstein mocked entanglement, a notion at the heart of quantum theory in which the properties of one particle can immediately affect those of another regardless of the distance between them. He argued that some invisible classical physics, known as "hidden-variable theories", must be creating the illusion of what he called "spooky action at a distance". A series of painstakingly designed experiments has since shown that Einstein was wrong: entanglement is real and no hidden-variable theories can explain its weird effects. But entanglement is not the only phenomenon separating the quantum from the classical. "There is another shocking fact about quantum reality which is often overlooked," says Aephraim Steinberg of the University of Toronto in Canada."

LINK

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Already posted- can't find link though, sorry.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I guess this is a question more than a statement because I really dont know, so Im reaching here...

Whats to say that even though scientists put these things in near absolute zero to stop them from moving, that they still wouldnt move in ways that we just cant detect, even with current technology?

Kinda like watching a ceiling fan. If you blink, you can make it appear that the blades are turning slower, where in reality they are spinning faster. Even when you dont blink, you see the blades moving in an illusionary way that makes it appear that it's slower than it really is.

Just a thought.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Ok does this mean we can move things with our mind?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
There is so much we have yet to fully understand, however I've read about this before and always thought about maybe one day having a 'quantum communication device', being able to communicate instantly being millions of lightyears away from each other.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by drsamuelfrancis
Already posted- can't find link though, sorry.

i searched couldnt find one either.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DOUGH3914

jedi mind tricks! not sure if it does. but we can if we used more of our brain then we do now.... im assuming.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
I guess this is a question more than a statement because I really dont know, so Im reaching here...

Whats to say that even though scientists put these things in near absolute zero to stop them from moving, that they still wouldnt move in ways that we just cant detect, even with current technology?

Kinda like watching a ceiling fan. If you blink, you can make it appear that the blades are turning slower, where in reality they are spinning faster. Even when you dont blink, you see the blades moving in an illusionary way that makes it appear that it's slower than it really is.

Just a thought.

current expierements say that it is non local.... that there isnt any local independent hidden variable. we could further on down the road have an expierement that proves otherwise. but untill then...

i think those blades moving at the speed you perceive them initially is an illusion to begin with?

edit on 23-6-2011 by krossfyter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Its simpler then quantum theory.

Reality is a construct of the mind. The mind is an objective observer.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I have studied a lot on this matter. In the bible it says if we only had faith of a mustard seed we could move mountains. What if FOCUS is the only thing we lack to achieve this? Its hard to focus nowadays, so much entertainment and noise......its really impossible for any length of time. Perhaps it is possible to make things move or even appear with the right kind of focus....

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

Ive often wondered about the whole focus thing. Meditation if you will. I read an article a long time ago that said that two things happen when cities experiance an extended blackout that lasts for some time...

- There is a sudden baby boom

- Those people get better sleep and are more refreshed. They blamed the problem on the electricity going through our homes as an interferance.

Hmmm never know. But then.. none of us can push past doubt. I think if someone, anyone did.. We'd have another Jesus walking the earth.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Excellent article - starred and flagged

Science is just scratching the surface on this topic - and everything they discover seems to bring up more questions...

I have started to put together some evidence on the reality of mind over matter LINK HERE

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

I cannot think up a million dollars however.

I would say that perception is a construct of the mind. Reality is static.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Take some caution when analysing photon events and mental capabilities / perception. Photons also act as a wave, not just as a partial.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Science is finally discovering what has been accepted by the ancient magi. As smart as they seem, scientists are pretty thick. Many are "book smart" but with little common sense. They are basically reinventing the wheel with theories like these.

Bill Nye really pissed me off when I watched his program one day. He gave a final statement in which he said he believed that science would find all the answers to our questions and solve all of mankind's problems. He must not have considered that most, if not all of our problems, were caused by "know it alls" like scientists and that today's theories that are mostly accepted as fact, are tomorrow's myths and superstitions.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by krossfyter

"This experiment lends more support to the Copenhagen interpretation," says Zeilinger.
Who woulda thunk it?

Originally posted by DOUGH3914
Ok does this mean we can move things with our mind?
You move electrons with your mind. Then the question becomes, can those moving electrons and the EM fields their movement generates, affect anything outside your body? You can move the squiggles on a display on an EEG machine or lie detector, but not much else has been demonstrated beyond that, in replicated experiments.

Originally posted by GDR3k
There is so much we have yet to fully understand, however I've read about this before and always thought about maybe one day having a 'quantum communication device', being able to communicate instantly being millions of lightyears away from each other.
So far the entanglement experiments which operate faster than the speed of light, have not shown the possibility of communicating information faster than light.

Faster than light communication w/ Quantum Entanglement (Bell's telephone)--Possible?

this is a good try and many have fallen victim to it.
Nice try but no cigar.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Thanks for posting! S&F.

It appears that you can't even conceive of a theory where specific observables would have definite values that are independent of the other things you measure," adds Steinberg.

Quantum Mechanics is so cool!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Originally posted by onequestion

I cannot think up a million dollars however.

I would say that perception is a construct of the mind. Reality is static.

"There are no objects, there are no things, everything like for an example the wooden table, everything is an event. Once that wooden table was a tree and in years to come it will end up decomposing somewhere. We don't perceive that as an event because it is happening on a slower scale. There are no things there are only events.

That table was once a tree and when it was a tree it was an illusion. Now it is in a different kind of illusion and when its thrown in a scrap heap and it goes back to energy when it decomposes than it will still be an illusion."

"So this reality that we think is so solid and all that there is is actually like a radio station and this physical body is a holographic illusion, a holographic illusion that locks us in, tunes us in like a radio to this radio station, to this reality."

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by krossfyter
That table was once a tree and when it was a tree it was an illusion.
I saw a guy get killed by a falling tree.

That's a pretty darn good illusion that can kill you!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Great find.

Well this answers the question for me about Many Worlds. If Many Worlds were true are choice would be meaningless and everything would be in a measured state. This is because universe A depends on a measurement in universe B. This experiment shows this is not the case because choice determines the outcome of an event not any fixed measurement from a parallel universe.

Either the Universe is a miracle and God made the choice to create the universe or we live in a universe that recycles itself over and over again and there may be mirror universes.

Things like the double slit experiment, delayed choice experiment and now this experiment shows choice is the deciding factor and choice creates what we call reality.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join