It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone know any good thriller/sci-fi films?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Looking to see if you know any films like "A.I" (set in the future and very well made) or "Mullholland Drive?" It's a great film, has anyone else seen it?

I'd discuss it more but I don't want to ruin it for anyone

Films that are set in the future, really well made.... kinda like "Aeon Flux" etc...

I've done heaps of searching but haven't come up with much yet!

Thanks guys!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by drsamuelfrancis

BLADE RUNNER.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Returner is a favorite of mine. Its a Japanese SciFi movie, deals with time travel not so much futuristic but its still a good movie. Casshern is also pretty cool, if not slightly weird.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The Island
Link
Equilibrium
Link

Peace

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Evangelion is pretty good.

There is a 26 episode anime series from the 1990's

More recently, the creator decided to remake the series into four anime movies

The first two are already out, we are waiting for the next two to be released soon....rumour is the last two will be released back to back.

If you haven't seen it, I would thoroughly recommend getting them

edit on 23/6/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
cube , cube 2 , cube 3

cube 1 is by far the best one of the three.

Pi, the math sign, good movie.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I really liked AI, and I could tell, I think, where Kubrick's work was and what Spielberg did with it. I will always be sad that Kubrick was not able to finish it because Spielberg took the edge out and put a lot of Disney in. That said, I don't know of anything that really has the atmosphere and feeling quite like A.I.

Here's a few Sci-Fi's I like:

eXistenZ
The Arrival (avoid the sequel like herpes)
Logan's Run
Saturn 3
edit on 6/23/2011 by 0001391 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Maybe not in the vein you were thinking, but one I recently enjoyed was Children of Men. In lieu of that, pushed further out, I rather enjoyed Gattaca awhile back.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Thanks for all your help!
Have already started downloading a few of them now! So, if you don't see me around for a while you'll know what I'm up to haha!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
the best sci fi stories have not been made into movies imho.

no matter how good the hollywood CGI artists are they cannot compare with the spectacular special effects we are capable of producing with our minds eye...

its not a movie, but I highly endorse "Ender's Game" if you have some quiet time to read a book...

~meathead
edit on 23-6-2011 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Doomsday (2008), takes place in a future Scotland that has been quarantined because of a virus outbreak in London.

British Sci Fi. It's inspired by Escape from NY, etc, has it's own apocalyptic take on the genre with lots of action.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

I do agree with you on that- nothing compares to our imaginations.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Yea! I know some good ones. Here are some.

The Thing (a remake of this classic is coming out in October)

Aliens

Enjoy the movies and don't forget the popcorn!

edit on 23-6-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Mullholand Drive knocked me out. It was one of those movies that didn cop to cheap thrills. Throughout, the plot was just this side of confusing but the weave of the scenes and the questions raised just kept adding more and more demand for answers. Now the whole movie might have fallen flat for me but for the ending. The ending took all the guestions an twists and turns and welded them together for a perfect ending.

Someone up thread listed eXistenz. Boffo.
I would like to add The Thirteenth Floor.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by drsamuelfrancis
Thanks for all your help!
Have already started downloading a few of them now! So, if you don't see me around for a while you'll know what I'm up to haha!

The Lawnmower man was an excellent film.
Can you download movies for free?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

Mullholand Drive knocked me out. It was one of those movies that didn cop to cheap thrills. Throughout, the plot was just this side of confusing but the weave of the scenes and the questions raised just kept adding more and more demand for answers. Now the whole movie might have fallen flat for me but for the ending. The ending took all the guestions an twists and turns and welded them together for a perfect ending.

i have never seen it, but that was a glowing review worthy of any renowned publication, and has honestly inspired me to have a peek. good endings are hard to come by....

~meathead
edit on 23-6-2011 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I know quite a few that could float your boat -

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970) - Great movie about a super computer that becomes self aware.

And another for consideration and my personal favourite -

Flight of The Navigator (1986) - Cute (if a little cheesy) movie about a boy who ends up 8 years in his own future by an alien ship responsible for it.

Ahhhhhhhh memories!

edit on 23-6-2011 by Xcellante because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I would have to say, if you liked Mulhuland Drive then you should most likely need to watch all of David Lynch's other films.

Blue Velvet = Dennis Hopper.

Check Imdb.com for a list of Lynch's films - they are all amazing.

Another good movie similar to those types would be Naked Lunch after the William S Burrows book.

Then for scifi type movies, I'd say Contact, District 9, Journey to the Center of the Earth (Original) provided you haven't already seen these.

I like these threads, always find a movie I've never heard of.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by pshea38

Are you the F.B.I?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

I actually watched Contact last night!
I watched it a few years ago, before I really got into ATS or UFO's etc, and watching it again just made me get it a little bit more- not that there is much to get I guess, but I enjoyed it more!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join