It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The ATS thought police has removed this subject" :D

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

i don't know why but that picture reminds me of dragons den.

they have some sound advice for everyone here at the start to (added bonus).

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
but what is up with the looooooong skirt

Standard Spook issue for female agents at the office...

In the field they use the short skirts

edit on 23-6-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

The ATS Thought Police is a department, so it's singular.

No. You have to use the word "department" or it is not singular...the word police is not singular. The word department is. In the phrase "police department" the word police is an adjective...in the badly written present example it is a noun. A plural noun.

Let's use another example: The Denver police have issued a statement. (vs.) The Denver Police Department has issued a statement. Clearer now?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by joechip

I has little concern for the statements issued by the Denver Police Department.

By the way, G U R E Z

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Thought Police and now Grammar Nazis

...what has happened to ATS

edit on 23-6-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by joechip

Silly discussion, but I might as well chime in.

"Cattle" can be singular. You can have 1 cattle. The same goes for police. It describes the force, or it describes the individual.

Here are a few excerpts that confirm

"a" (singular) government agency.

Definition of police (noun)
a government agency responsible for guarding the public, keeping order, and making sure people obey the law; members of that agency

"an" (singular) organized force

noun
1. Also called police force. an organized civil force for maintaining order, preventing and detecting crime, and enforcing the laws.

This one even has an example "Three police arrived in two cars."

Noun
An organisation granted the legal authority to enforce the law.
Call the police!
The police operating in New York City operate under the New York City Police Department, several other City agencies and boards, and several public authorities.
Members of the police force.
Three police arrived in two cars.
The policewoman arrived in her car.
(plural=police) A police officer

Sources

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

So if you had one cow and one guy in charge of it, and he chased it down the railroad tracks until a train hit it, the headline could read, "Cattle Police Has Caused Udder Disaster"?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Thought Police and now Grammar Nazis

...what has happened to ATS

:bash::bnghd:
:bash:
:bnghd::bash::bnghd::bash::bnghd:
:bash:
:bnghd:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
They should have removed D. I mean D has no place being there because it goes against the initially executed program. Who placed D there in the first place. Had to be...?? NEO!!!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Why do you keep posting blank pages? Has for threads being removed....what can one do? Accept it.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
...what can one do? Accept it.

This is a conspiracy site...

...we don't just accept it

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Keep them here how? By making them focus on the projection. Then they will never find the way to escape...through the door inside them.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
reply to post by SLAYER69

yes better represenation - props to YOU....but what is up with the looooooong skirt

Not that I would want a mini on there....but but

Ah yes.........

The hoochie girl female MOD mentality reveals it's multiheaded demonic multidimensional self expression

It'll be our little secret about your lesser known BAD self.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
to keep an open mind one must attempt to realize all perspectives, never forget the perspective that,

they may be mocking you,

either you accept their 404 and move along, or any attempt to wonder or question is mocked by that image, just like the last one they had before the change,

mocking you is a good way to say dont question us.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

By the way, G U R E Z

Is this an acronym I'm supposed to know? Care to enlighten?

I get your point about it being a department and thus a singular noun. I don't believe merely capitalizing it conveys this, however. (And it wasn't capitalized in the OP title.) It reads funny. The subject is, I suppose, the entire phrase as a proper noun. A name. My mistake. Okay, that's singular.

It still reads wrong. Maybe that's why police departments have the word "department" in their names. To avoid a clumsy, wrong-sounding situation every time they are used in a sentence.

It's hard to get your mouth and mind around, but you are correct; it is grammatically correct, if capitalized.

I still hate it.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Cass Sunstein is the boss of Above Top Secret! How would Mr Sunstein communicate with ATS? How would he exercise some control of ATS?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Some of the female MODS had requested a better representation in the new 404 image in another thread discussing the new 404 so I coaxed out a female for them

edit on 23-6-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

That is just simply brilliant. This will no doubt stir up some controversy from the more.... gullible of our group

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by joechip

No, I completely agree with you. It should be "have removed". I'm just messin' with you. I thought the lol smilies and whatnot would be sufficient. There are little errors around here and there. When you submit a complaint you may have noticed it says "Complaint aboot" and it's been that way for at least as long as I've been around. We pass that off as the Canadian version. Some stuff you just have to laugh off.

G U R E Z - read it like you saw it on a vanity license plate.

It's a joke, bro. Don't go hatin'.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Noun An organisation granted the legal authority to enforce the law. Call the police! The police operating in New York City operate under the New York City Police Department, several other City agencies and boards, and several public authorities. Members of the police force. Three police arrived in two cars. The policewoman arrived in her car. (plural=police) A police officer
reply to post by getreadyalready

Actually once I realized it was intended as a tilte, I conceded that the singular verb was grammatically correct.

But I can't let your contention that "police" can be used as a singular noun go unaswered. It cannot be. Google "is police plural or singular?" (I can't link right now for some reason)

Really, it's a collective plural noun. And one that doesn't have singular form. Period. The examples above that you cite don't use the word incorrectly (and I'm not quite sure what you think they show...) An example of the word police as the subject of a sentence (not as part of a proper noun) with a singular verb like "is." Let's see that. Not trying to be a grammar nazi, by the way, I certainly don't expect perfect grammar from members. It's reasonable, I think, to voice concerns with site features.

But yeah, it's the name of a group, I get that.

edit on 23-6-2011 by joechip because: finish

edit on 23-6-2011 by joechip because: cite

edit on 23-6-2011 by joechip because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2011 by joechip because: remove bad link

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This woman simply is not representative of the hip, cool and beautiful women on ATS.

If I may, this look can work no matter the age and body type.

Tailored jacket with lapels and shirt whose lapels match the jacket such that you have modest cleavage. Skirt just above the knee with low heel stilettos. Everything perfectly tailored, so the jacket must be tight fitting and stop at the top of the hips and is buttoned at the top button.

Also, the haircut must be current, no matter the length. Would recommend shoulder length, part to the side and longer bangs to the sides of the face.

The woman should be posed like a woman and not a man, then you can see the cleavage and shoes, but she will look both tough, feminine and current.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join