It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do people on ATS have no understanding of the world? TPTB Don't exist!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
There are somethings in life we have no control over and Mother Nature is one of them. By saying that, we each have control over our destinies.....it's called the Polling Booth on election day.

What I don't like are our politicians making secret wheeling and dealing behind closed doors that can dictate our laws and policies for many years to come without any referendum of the citizens involved.

Does that make any sense?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

I think you are oversimplifying the terminology.

TPTB - The Powers That Be

I think you are oversimplifying the people the terminology is based on.

I know what it is "meant" to represent. But it doesn't represent that. It is a failed description. People are much more complicated than a simple label could describe.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
There are somethings in life we have no control over and Mother Nature is one of them. By saying that, we each have control over our destinies.....it's called the Polling Booth on election day.

What I don't like are our politicians making secret wheeling and dealing behind closed doors that can dictate our laws and policies for many years to come without any referendum of the citizens involved.

Does that make any sense?

No, for one, the political system in North America doesn't really allow for anything more than superficial changes. Politicians will always talk behind closed doors, so will you, your friends, your parents and anyone else born with two arms, two legs and the ability to converse with one another.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

No offense taken.

I didn't exactly clarify what I believe the definition of TPTB is.. I definitely do not think that it is a set group, or a "rule the world club" or something of that sort haha.. I just think it is a pretty general term for people in high places who have greater power over the masses - Gov. officials etc.. When I say "power" it is to a certain degree of course. Like I mentioned before, no one can alter an individual's free will, but certain people definitely have power over the media and public knowledge. Some more than others. Am I making sense?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Why not call them by their real names, or is that because you don't have enough information? Which means you are subjecting yourself to believing in rumor, leaving yourself open to manipulation.

well, yes and no. TPTB, I would say, is a label used when one does not know "their real names" when one does not "have enough information." However, I believe everyone should cross reference information in these circumstances in order not to subject themselves to believing rumer. There is a difference in simply believing a rumor to be true upon hearing it and considering a rumor to potentially be true. I believe people should cross reference information that does not have valid substantial evidence/proof. That's what I believe critical thinking is all about - Considering all possibilities, but then gathering evidence and proof that either supports or debunks the claim, and then coming to your conclusion.

Although again, in my own opinion, to say that TPTB (how I interpret the term) simply do not exist is also quite naive.

Fact: the President is in a higher state of power than you or me. Therefore, he rules over us and has a say (no matter how limited it may be) in how we can live our lives.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

In a nutshell, exactly!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Then my guess is you are not aware of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement that will affect 9 nations, more importantly Australia and New Zealand. Although it also covers vital interests between our nations but we are kept out in the cold and this new agreement is going to affect our two nations for the next 100 years. Unless afew critical changes are made to this agreement, we're going to be dooped and there's no legal recourse. Bottom line.....if BP were to repeat the same senario as that of the Gulf of Mexico, there's nothing much we can do about it.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Threads like these. Implying that there is some mass structured cabal of overlords making all decisions related to public policy. The idea that everything is controlled by "TPTB" is such a preposterous position that only the most naive or gullible could believe it to be true.

I know, a bunch of old men in a room calling the shots....ha ha sounds like a Bilderberg Meeting.
or maybe the G20.

Can you imagine them having any effect in the modern world?

Everyone knows we run things... all of us collectively.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

They be all right.

In idiomatic English, "the powers that be" is a phrase used to refer to those individuals or groups who collectively hold authority over a particular domain

Governments, both central and local, and the accompanying civil service
The upper management of a business
Those who control the dissemination of information.
Controlling bodies in any organization or activity

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Implying that there is some mass structured cabal of overlords making all decisions related to public policy. The idea that everything is controlled by "TPTB" is such a preposterous position that only the most naive or gullible could believe it to be true.

Actually TPTB do exist, and they are simply "the powers that be". When those powers that be fall or are replaced by others, then those others become the TPTB. There is always a powers that be, because that is the way this system is set up, and the way the human mind is set up to work and function. Its what it was programmed to look for as well as its nature.

Now for the real super duper secret shadow group that really controls this planet and everything in it....Well you are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by boncho

Then my guess is you are not aware of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement that will affect 9 nations, more importantly Australia and New Zealand. Although it also covers vital interests between our nations but we are kept out in the cold and this new agreement is going to affect our two nations for the next 100 years. Unless afew critical changes are made to this agreement, we're going to be dooped and there's no legal recourse. Bottom line.....if BP were to repeat the same senario as that of the Gulf of Mexico, there's nothing much we can do about it.

I like this post very much.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Although it also covers vital interests between our nations but we are kept out in the cold and this new agreement is going to affect our two nations for the next 100 years. Unless afew critical changes are made to this agreement, we're going to be dooped and there's no legal recourse.

Well, I guess if you can have some effect on these people (Your claim) by making a choice at the voting booth, then doesn't that make you a "PTB"?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

nice rant and you do have a point.

one should be more specific as one progresses down this path, sort of like getting up and walking out of Plato's cave into the "real world" actually another layer of the "Onion of Reality".

that said i do hope you won't be mad if [occasionally] i refer to "The Custodians of The Black Iron Prison" as a referent to a paradigm or form of group think indulged in by authorities of various kinds.

i've borrowed the term from my Occult studies of Gnosticism, though no despiser of the body i am, or escapist as many of them seemed to be. after all it is only in the physical world that change can be accomplished.

not from our dear mutual acquaintance, the visionary Horselover Fat*

*[ Philip K. Dick]

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The Powers That Be...TPTB

Instead of saying Rothchilds-Rockefellas-Bush-Gore-ad infinity...we simply say...TPTB. Most people get the point.

Kinda like saying Kleenex intead of Facial Tissue...or Band Aid instead of adhesive bandage or...Kool Aid instead of powdered sweetened artificially flavored drink mix...Kool Aid.

Don't take it so literally, dude...

And yes, they do exist... anybody that plays both sides of a war...aka Rockerfellers in Viet Nam or Carlysle Group in MidEast...or Rothchilds in US Civil War...or Napoleanic Wars...they are one of The Powers That Be.

When people or groups dictate through money legislation and manipulate popular culture and views through media and news outlets...aka George Soros...they are one of The Powers That Be.

A good book to start with is None Dare Call It Conspiracy... how is it that the head of Haliburton becomes VP, then Haliburton gets contracts from the government to fight a war with an enemy Haliburton created and armed a few years before?

TPTB...they do exist... when the world's food distributors, retailers, manufacturers consists of basically a hand full of companies like Cargill or Monsanto...and they own the whole food chain from seed to pork in the meat case....they be one TPTB.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join