It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'm not so sure that a majority of you people truly want freedom, and I know the need to word this very carefully. This was brought to my attention when I read through the comments posted in the 'Alcohol - who really needs it?' thread. Though, I'm not talking about just alcohol, I'm talking about anything one would consider a vice. I'm talking about the freedom I should have to do it. Whatever substance I put into my body, legal or otherwise, is my business. No legislation should infringe on that. No one should have a say in the matter. If someone chooses to drive down to a red-light district, what's it to you? I agree, not everyone is responsible, but it's none of your business, nor the governments.

"You were born free, you got *snip* out of half of it, and you wave a flag celebrating" - Doug Stanhope

I had plenty more to say, but the rules don't leave much wiggle room on this subject. I'm hoping I didn't break any. I'm just venting.

edit on 22-6-2011 by AmrikazNightmar3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
A lot of those laws were passed to keep people who are impaired and irresponsible from endangering us. I dont want a drunk walking down my street, or driving into my car.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

I'm not talking about complete lawlessness. I don't think an impaired person should be behind the wheel, either. There should be rules, but ultimately, the government shouldn't interfere as much as they do. Thanks for replying!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by chancemusky
A lot of those laws were passed to keep people who are impaired and irresponsible from endangering us. I dont want a drunk walking down my street, or driving into my car.

I've got to agree with the point you made there Chancemusky, but other than that I agree. I think parents should be the same way with their kids, expose them to things and say if you *snip* your life it's your fault. I think that would be better. Sorry if that was a bit off topic, just the thought crossed my mind. Anyways I think we got the freedoms that were given to us in the constitution taken away a long time ago. Freedom isn't free...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AmrikazNightmar3

Freedom doesn't exist. Not here and not in real life. They just let you think it does.
2nd.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I consider myself a Libertarian for the most part, but, when it comes to things like drugs, alcohol and cigarettes we need to take a careful view.

I think the average smoker starts smoking at something like 14 yrs old. They are not at a an age to make an informed decision on the rest of their lives, and they are taking a substance that is highly addictive. So, would it not make sense to have laws that carefully control this substance? This isn't the same thing as collecting baseball cards, or getting into local sports..it taps into your brain chemistry.

As far as adults being left along to smoke drugs, drink (without hurting others) I agree with you.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Very true statement. I guess I'll always be an outlaw.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmrikazNightmar3
I'm not so sure that a majority of you people truly want freedom, and I know the need to word this very carefully. This was brought to my attention when I read through the comments posted in the 'Alcohol - who really needs it?' thread. Though, I'm not talking about just alcohol, I'm talking about anything one would consider a vice. I'm talking about the freedom I should have to do it. Whatever substance I put into my body, legal or otherwise, is my business. No legislation should infringe on that. No one should have a say in the matter. If someone chooses to drive down to a red-light district, what's it to you? I agree, not everyone is responsible, but it's none of your business, nor the governments.

"You were born free, you got *snip* out of half of it, and you wave a flag celebrating" - Doug Stanhope

I had plenty more to say, but the rules don't leave much wiggle room on this subject. I'm hoping I didn't break any. I'm just venting.

edit on 22-6-2011 by AmrikazNightmar3 because: (no reason given)

Then take yourself completely off the grid.

Don't work, don't take benefits, don't be a part of the "law" that provides the foundation to the life you get to live now (ie the house over your head, food in your stomach).

In fact, even better - board the next place to the Congo, or Dafur - and have a chat to those people about being able to do what they want, when they want.

I'm sure they have the freedom to go and do what they want (as the government is screwed) - and I'm sure they would trade their life, for yours, at the drop of a hat (yes, EVEN with the laws trying to keep you safe and from harm).

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

Makes perfect sense.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

Maybe I will.
But, really... I should entitled to these freedoms, shouldn't I?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

reply to post by ExCommando

Maybe I will.
But, really... I should entitled to these freedoms, shouldn't I?

Oh for sure - you can have your cake and eat it. But then you shouldn't complain about your freedoms.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

reply to post by chancemusky

I'm not talking about complete lawlessness. I don't think an impaired person should be behind the wheel, either. There should be rules, but ultimately, the government shouldn't interfere as much as they do. Thanks for replying!

Funny how you say you want freedom to put whatever you want in your body, but then you want to take away the freedom to drive from those that are impaired.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

I think you should be able to do to your body what you will, but there should be structure.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Doublemint

I think you should be able to do to your body what you will, but there should be structure.

this is fine but your not seeing the whole picture. Those illegal drugs had dangerous and sometimes disasterous affects on their way from where they were produced all the way to your possession. Drugs do not magically appear when you want them they must be cultivated and shipped.

People die over drug wars trying to get you what you want to enjoy your freedom. If people such as yourself did not want these we wouldn't have as many problems with this as we do. Because there is a demand from people like you drugs permeate our society and make their way to children who become hooked and the whole thing spirals out of control.

You need to realize that your freedom to put what you want into your body also affects many many other people.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I admit, I felt ashamed after reading that. I never looked at it from a broader scale.

If it was legal, then maybe people wouldn't have to die. I'm grasping at straws at this point...

I needed that insight.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

reply to post by kro32

I admit, I felt ashamed after reading that. I never looked at it from a broader scale.

If it was legal, then maybe people wouldn't have to die. I'm grasping at straws at this point...

I needed that insight.

Good for you for being mature enough to admit that.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

To play devils advocate.
You could inversely argue with the decriminalization or legalization, would come legal business opportunitys which would loose profits for said same cartels. As well as curb violence overseas.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Prohibition is directly responsible for the negative effects associated with drug use.

The penalties for getting caught are far worse than what many of these illegal substances do.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
REMINDER:

Alt. Sub. Conspiracies: This forum is for the discussion of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups related to the trade and trafficking of illicit drugs, and inequities in enforcement of drug-related laws. Personal use, advocacy of legalization, and related non-conspiratorial topics are not allowed. Members posting about personal recreational use of drugs and related mind-altering substances may be banned without warning.This forum is not intended for discussion of legalization advocacy or speculation of enlightenment or spiritual possibilities related to drug use.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I agree with the OP.

Standardizing our "freedoms" and telling us what we can and can't do with our bodies has been nothing but a seige on our natural hierarcy- that is, the ability for capable and responsible people to rise to the top of society while the weak die.

It should be up to us to decide what we can do with ourselves. Self-ownership itself is a basic principle of individual rights.

By dictating the lives of entire populations, our leaders (who aim only for economic growth) have maintained a large, mostly stupid and ignorant population that really only serve the purpose of working to maintain the entire system.

Our individual potentials are raped when our roles are already prescribed before we are even born. Our ability to choose, our ability to learn from our right and wrong choices, determine our true roles that we must play in society.

They have done nothing but try to confuse us, try to turn us on each other by declaring "what is good" when the truth is that good is an individual perception, NOT something that the state should ever declare.

This is one damn good reason why I have lost faith in my government. They've turned my people from the strong and proud into economic slaves who do a good job keeping ourselves in check through suspicion of each other's choices and thoughts based on what the state determines is "good" for us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join