It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irish cow outsmarts farmer. What have we been eating?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I stumbled across this sky news report about a cow that has learnt to free itself from its pen.

The original report and video can be found here:

Sky News

Clearly cattle are capable of a lot more intelligence then we have been led to believe. My question is this, does it make any difference ethically? I mean viewing this video had no impact on my desire for steak. I love steak, its one of my favourite foods. Should I have a change of heart? Is eating something with intelligence evil? I think that maybe there is a bit of a disconnect between steak in a meat tray, in a supermarket and a cow, that needs to be addressed. If we are going to eat cattle at the very least their lives should be cruelty free. I guess what I'm trying to say is do you know how your steak was treated when it was a cow and do you care?

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
maybe all the cows would do this if it was not for the ones saying.

"hes a whack job, they are not going to eats us, they take care of us" "wheres your evidence" "how do you know they are not just taking them to another farm" "lol there is no such thing as a hotpot your just seeing things"

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AusiAnarchist

My dog learned to open my gate in the first week, but he still doesn't know when to leave me the hell alone, or how to stop stealing the kids food. A learned behavior doesn't necessarily equal intelligence. Cats are highly intelligent but next to impossible to train, while my dog is an idiot, but he can open the gate and climb a tree to get to a squirrel.

I still love steak, and if my stupid dog tears my guttering off the side of the house one more time, he might make it onto the grill too!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AusiAnarchist
I stumbled across this sky news report about a cow that has learnt to free itself from its pen.

The original report and video can be found here:

Sky News

Clearly cattle are capable of a lot more intelligence then we have been led to believe. My question is this, does it make any difference ethically? I mean viewing this video had no impact on my desire for steak. I love steak, its one of my favourite foods. Should I have a change of heart? Is eating something with intelligence evil? I think that maybe there is a bit of a disconnect between steak in a meat tray, in a supermarket and a cow, that needs to be addressed. If we are going to eat cattle at the very least their lives should be cruelty free. I guess what I'm trying to say is do you know how your steak was treated when it was a cow and do you care?

Is eating something with intelligence evil? Would eating you be an act of evil?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

When travelling through India, I had a very interesting experience with a small herd of cows.

We were at the beach for sunrise (before sunrise actually), and an old cow was stood in the middle of the beach, just chilling out.

I decided to scavenge and find some banana peels and discarded fruit for the cow - bought it over and fed it.

Maybe 30 minutes later, the rest of its family arrived - 2 young calves and a female. They chilled together for a few minutes, then the mother walks straight over to me (I was about 200 metres away), with it's young.

They literally walked straight up to me, and the mother nuzzled and licked my hands - the young did the same; they then stood there, let me pat them, then walked away.

Now, I'm pretty sure they were just after food, but at that moment, with the sun rising, and the waves crashing, it felt as though they were communicating their thanks for feeding their old man.

Animals 100% do have emotional intelligence, and whilst I eat steak, I certainly believe in humane treatement.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
If we are to eat beef products (Steak, Roast Beef, Burgers etc) I believe we should kill he Cattle the Humane way

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It used to be at least locally,
that canabalistic ritual was about gaining the quality of the fallen...
here in Canaba any way,
or so it says on the sign on the shrine
where the iroquois bar-b-qued some local Jesuits.
(who weren't smart enough to bar the door)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I wouldn't add a question of "evil" into the morality of it...
Animals are certainly more smart then most people take them for.
Though, factory farms are rarely compassionate and caring... it's about numbers over overall care of the animal.
I've been a vegetarian more than half my life for numerous reasons. When I did work on a farm, I made sure the animals were treated properly(veterinary background), given the best life possible...
If I were to ever eat meat again, very doubtful indeed., I would be dead set against factory farm meat. Free range meat is not only more compassionate but more healthy. The answer would be the treatment of the animal before slaughter and the human action during slaughter.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

Thank you for that post lifeform.

You are definitely a higher lifeform!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
predator normaly outsmarts its prey, sop when they are smart enough to escape us than we should no longer eat them because they were smart enough to escape its human predator. so dont eat the ones that escape their captivity. if they can also out run us as well

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Animals are more intelligent than the status quo leads us to beleive. Often if you pay attention you will get a glimpse of this intelligence. Often if you treat any intelligent being without respect they will not show you their potential.

The thinking of humans that animals are dumb and just there for food just helps said humans sleep at night. It is not for nutrition but for the sensation on the tongue and the feedback we get from it which humans kill millions of intelligent beings often inhumanely.

I have been a vegetarian for years with no ill health affects. I enjoy a symbiotic relationship with Cows and chickens where I provide them food and they provide me a byproduct which does not require their life.

My hope is that one day Humans will evolve to overcome the mindset that allows ignorance of animals potential in favor of flavor and texture.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Mmm Steak... I'm an omnivore. Love fruit, steak, and chicken.. that's about it lol.
Some people are better off eating only veggies, others are not.
Yes the conditions that these animals are breed, raised and then slaughtered isn't the most compassionate thing, but there's way too many people to feed..
If another species comes along that is capable of taking over us as "top of the food chain" then respect and props to them. Until then, I'm gonna continue to eat my steak and chicken wings.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'd like nothing more than to hire that cow as my troubleshoot geek, and fire AT&T.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
If you are concerned with eating intelligent animals then never eat a pig again. They are smarter than a dog, can be housebroken and are quite clean animals if allowed to stay in cool conditions.

But although they are not particulary intelligent, cows run the gamut on 'smarts'. I've had mean ones, I've had gentle ones, I've had dumb ones and I've had smart ones. Their cleverness only amounts to how badly it wants out or in---as in the case of one of my cows who learned to open a very large (and heavy) sliding barn door.

After having the interior of my barn trashed a couple of times (hay ruined, things knocked over and cow-s#!t pasted everywhere, even up the walls!) I had to put a chain with a clasp on the door to thwart her inquisitiveness.

But as I said at first if your heart is tender towards the intelligent, better pass on the bacon next time.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Bovines may be evolving. I recall a couple of years ago there was a report from Pamploma that the bulls divurged into two groups, splitting the run and then turned on the runners and charged them! Could this indicate collective reasoning, strategic planning and cooperative execution? If so, what would be their prime motivation? Survival? Dominance? Could the, now discredited practice of feeding animal remains to cows that led to BSE, have altered bovine DNA?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
If you think plants and animals are "stupid" and not as important as humans, you are the one who is being stupid! Everything is ONE, the same consciousness permeates everything. If your paying attention, you will notice things like this. UNFORTUNATELY we have to eat other life forms in this 3D incarnation in order to fuel this biological machine we run around in. So if you eat an ear of corn or a pork chop, same difference metaphysically. How that ear of corn or pig was raised and fed makes a huge difference physically and metaphysically. Know how your food was grown. Know your farmer's. Know that the plants and animals you consume were raised with love. Vegitarianism? Tried to do it several times and the bio-machine doesn't fuction well on it. So now I buy meat from highly reputable local organic farmers. Some day we will only need prana to feed the machine, but for now, we got to do what have to do. Peace.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Shock horror;

Maybe that's where we got our cleverness from?

LOL.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
For whatever reason, I keep thinking of the following Far Side cartoon when I read your post.

At times, it seems like the animals of our planet play "dumb" for us humans. Whether or not this is actually true, I have no idea....

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BiggyMcBigPants

It seems bovines are not the only genus pulling wool on humans!

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Originally posted by Soldier of God
reply to post by superman2012

Barking cat

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

My dog learned to open my gate in the first week, but he still doesn't know when to leave me the hell alone, or how to stop stealing the kids food. A learned behavior doesn't necessarily equal intelligence.

Cats are highly intelligent but next to impossible to train, while my dog is an idiot, but he can open the gate and climb a tree to get to a squirrel.

My cats have figured out how to open doors - but I'm buggered if I can teach them how to close the bloody door behind them
Just shear rudeness I say!

They do come when the are called though, moreso than my dog who is just a complete idiot hehe.
edit on 24/6/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join