It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1976 Tribe on Papua New Guinea meets white man for the first time. BEST VIDEO IVE SEEN IN A LONG TIM

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
S&F I had never seen this before. When they ate the rice, they kinda smacked themselves on the back of the head. I wonder if this was a sign of enjoyment or pleasure?? Or maybe their way of giving thanks? It sure looked funny when they did it. Great video. Thank you.

I noticed that too... the elder guy with the red feathers smiled after words so I think that is there sign of enjoyment, odd isn't it? makes me wonder how that evolved.. I certainly never feel compelled to hit myself in the head when I have a delicious bite of curry.

I am fairly certain that the tap to the head means "good" or even "man thats awesome!", at least in this case

I feel a strong desire to return to the wilderness, to the old ways and I take regular steps in that direction as often as possible.

Odd that people worry about indigenous violence which in no way compares to the violence displayed daily by "modern" mankind.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I was in New Guinea around that time (mid 70's).This video could easily have been shot in the highlands region where I spent considerable time. The natives up there, in those days were wonderful gentle people and some of the stories I could tell you would make you laugh and cry.
Problem is, then we introduced them to the concept of money and taste of alcohol etc. Our missionaries, whilst they thought they were doing good, tried to convert them to our religions. Frankly, we tried to take a civilisation that was maybe 40,000 years behind us into our own supposedly civilised world..
It was a big mistake.
On my next trip, some 15 years later, white peoples homes were surrounded by high fences and barbed wire, you could no longer feel safe walking around .. especially at night. There were burlaries, assults and rapes where previously there had only been natural curiousity and friendship.
Sadly, we stuffed up big time there like we have in so many other places.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DisturbedToo

What a beautiful and gentle group of human beings. I’m an 1/8th percent American Indian. My soul cries for the atrocities done to the indigenous Indians throughout the world. What white people did to the Indians of the Americas is the most heartbreaking thing in our history’s past, as was England and their cruelty to Australia’s aborigines. If we do not learn to love each other, we will not survive.

S&F – awesome video.

peace

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Well, I recall seeing the whole episode, and they traveled in the forest with them for a while.
I don't think they just dumped anything.

What I do know is that Duvelleux made money and a living out of the encounter, and the tribe made nothing as far as I know.

That is sort of the point in these ventures...capture unique stuff and sell it off.

Now try doing that to Paris Hilton, or the Kardashians.
Shooting images is shooting a commodity; compared to taking trophies since colonial times.
Ironically I think he even mentioned in the program that they are below third-world poverty levels.

As for pleasure: it's a one way pleasure from what we know.
The tribe doesn't really look particularly ecstatic.
The white guy had a choice in traveling to find his pleasure (and business), the tribe had little choice in the matter.

Actually, the tribe has a choice...stay away from the strange white creatures camp, or go and investigate...they chose to investigate
As far as how they looked, what they got out of it, etc
Well, they reacted first off in near horror, then astonishment..aka, they met a extraterrestrial with all sorts of strange and wonderful technologies, methods, etc. From what I seen, after they were comfortable with the white aliens not being dangerous, they were fascinated enough to invite the tribe in (including children and babies) to witness this amazing thing.

What did they gain from it? Well, the white folks gained a bit of pocket money and an experience to talk about...the tribe gained an entire world perspective and entire paradigm shift....they got the bigger payment.

As far as poverty levels are concerned...I find it odd that tribes can even be considered on the same level as poverty verses rich...materialists like us judge poverty on strange things, such as running water, income, etc etc...but a tribe has no need for that stuff...
I imagine on some cosmic scale, our entire planet, including a penthouse loft in manhattan would be considered less than galactic poverty levels or some such...but it works fine for us (what, not even basic teleportation? bah...savages. heh)

Some would say their way of life is eden...an uncorrupted paradise..
(not me, I am a materialist...but some)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by OverMan
I feel a strong desire to return to the wilderness, to the old ways and I take regular steps in that direction as often as possible.

You realize...there is no broadband internet out there...
No ATS..

I mean, sure..take away currys, cable television, air conditioning, cars, etc etc...
but the internet?......

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
as much as i enjoyed the video, i wish these scientist would just leave them alone!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by polytickle
I was in New Guinea around that time (mid 70's).This video could easily have been shot in the highlands region where I spent considerable time. The natives up there, in those days were wonderful gentle people and some of the stories I could tell you would make you laugh and cry.
Problem is, then we introduced them to the concept of money and taste of alcohol etc. Our missionaries, whilst they thought they were doing good, tried to convert them to our religions. Frankly, we tried to take a civilisation that was maybe 40,000 years behind us into our own supposedly civilised world..
It was a big mistake.
On my next trip, some 15 years later, white peoples homes were surrounded by high fences and barbed wire, you could no longer feel safe walking around .. especially at night. There were burlaries, assults and rapes where previously there had only been natural curiousity and friendship.
Sadly, we stuffed up big time there like we have in so many other places.

Dunno if this quote is for real, but this really made me sad. It becomes obvious to me at least what the true disease of the world is...white man culture and religion, sorry to say but true.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
S&F for showing me this thank you.

It is such an amazing video. And when the tribe's chief heard his voice playback on the recorder was of sheer surprise and delight.

This has brightened up my day.

Will have to show my friends this.
edit on 23/6/11 by Borag the Horse because: spelling

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gutterpus

What a beautiful and gentle group of human beings. I’m an 1/8th percent American Indian.

I am 1/4 english, french, italian, and german

My soul cries for the atrocities done to the indigenous Indians throughout the world. What white people did to the Indians of the Americas is the most heartbreaking thing in our history’s past, as was England and their cruelty to Australia’s aborigines.

My italian genes are angry at the africans when they invaded, murdered, and raped the people of scilicy
My french genes are angry at the italians, germans, english, and spanish (goths) for the endless cruelty of their invasion
My english genes are angry at the italians, french, and nordic race for endless invasions, slaughter, death, etc
My german genes plot

Point is, past is past...it wasn't just the whites that were going to war against the natives of the america's...the spanish were also there...and one thing about our medieval history...it was a time of conquest...what happened happened...there was no concerted effort for a specific ethnic class to become superior...it was all about kingdoms becoming superior...would you feel better if it was the moors that came to america and slaughtered the natives? the africans? the chinese?

The whole "white people sucked because they expanded their empire in the middle ages" thing is soo tired of an argument...look at the area and you will note the only people that didn't expand their area were nations that ceased to exist (check out the medieval germanic tribes...btw, its not called germany, thats a common myth...the germans are just a tribe...the area is called deutschland...be like the USA being called Rockefeller

If we do not learn to love each other, we will not survive.

Agreed. the time of conquest has long gone...it went the day a single bomb could level an entire city. Now its about acceptance, mutual respect, and equality...that in itself makes war look like childs play in how complex it will be to accomplish.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MachiventaMelchizedek
as much as i enjoyed the video, i wish these scientist would just leave them alone!

Which scientists?

You talking about the film crew and explorers in the video?

If thats the case...why did you watch the video?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Amazing video

It's hard for me to think there are tribes out there still that have never seen a mirror, or a match ect. But I believe it's true for sure. Remember that video that surfaced many months ago, the one that was shot out of an airplane or helicopter of that remote tribe that still hasn't interacted with White-men.

Some great moments for me were when they tried to rub the white off the guys skin, also when they took off his hat and copuldn't believe the texture of his hair.

I am also curious as to what the head-knocking symbolizes.

The white guy should have brought a Polaroid camera, NOW that would have been some fun.

I'm glad the meeting went peacefully.

I wonder if they left the tribe with any objects like the swiss army knife. I think that would have been a bad idea. You could get a result like the "coke bottle" in "The God's must be Crazy". It really makes you think if Ancient Aliens, or an advanced technological race that has since been wiped out, had left our early anscestors with some sort of object or knowledge..., how easily it could affect the future of mankind, how it could increase our technological advances tenfold and then some.

But it just shows how little in the way of technology. I mean a mirror, a match? Those two objects alone probably made that tribe think they were dealing with Gods, not men men just like they are.

Again awesome video Awesome video. If in fact it is genuine. I dunno, some parts did seem a bit "off" to me. The tribes people of PNG seem a little too trusting to these never before seen beings and gadgets (although days of footage of them getting to know eachother from a distance could have been left out). But that's what makes the clip so great, the trust. It sickens me when I think the Native American Indian could probably have been just as trusting to the Europeans, only to be taken advantage of and many of them killed.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I remember reading about this. It's an amazing video thats for sure but this tribe is.... weird lol. They don't know any better and i realize that but they only allow themselves about 100 days to get women pregnant. the other days the men and the younger boys have have homosexual relationships to preserve there "life force". If a women enjoys sex to much, she's considered a witch. If the younger boys are to sex hungry they're considered to be witches lol a lot goin on there thats for sure. I'm not bashing them in any way, thats what's normal for them they're not part of our society. Just spreading some education

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Very few videos of this length on ATS can keep my ADD in check, but this one was great, and I watched every second of it. Thanks for sharing this. Their primitive weapons are what really fascinated me. If/when things do go bad, those guys will be alright.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Dunno if this quote is for real, but this really made me sad. It becomes obvious to me at least what the true disease of the world is...black man culture and religion, sorry to say but true.

racist comment is racist comment.

You don't know the validity of the comment, yet you used it as an excuse to slam an entire ethnic group of people...

incidently, I switched a word for you...guess which one it is

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
What a beautiful clip!
I cant help but wonder if this is how some of the skeptics out there might react,if and when we are ever introduced to our intergalactic brethern?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by blair56
I remember reading about this. It's an amazing video thats for sure but this tribe is.... weird lol. They don't know any better and i realize that but they only allow themselves about 100 days to get women pregnant. the other days the men and the younger boys have have homosexual relationships to preserve there "life force". If a women enjoys sex to much, she's considered a witch. If the younger boys are to sex hungry they're considered to be witches lol a lot goin on there thats for sure. I'm not bashing them in any way, thats what's normal for them they're not part of our society. Just spreading some education

Interesting. Ya, well, primitive tribes are...primitive. Full of superstition, nonsense beliefs, and horrible practices...still I can't fault them on that
I am far more judgemental at "civilized" society doing primate practices still...such as honor killings and the like (see middle east)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
What a beautiful clip!
I cant help but wonder if this is how some of the skeptics out there might react,if and when we are ever introduced to our intergalactic brethern?

The skeptics will be the ones touching stuff, like the skin, the mirror, etc.
the "believers" will be the ones in the background kneeling and worshipping them as gods

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Outstanding video. I can't imagine at first how scared both of them were. I know I'd be scared they would take one of those axes at me. The story of the white man will be legendary in their tribe. He could be seen as a God. A God who showed them fire, showed them technology, different foods, etc.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
wow that was awesome, seen this a while back. s+f

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

The 4:52 mark was what I was looking for
They try to wipe the "white paint" off.

I have traveled throughout the area and while I never had the priveledge to meet a tribe who had never seen a white man before, most of the children had never seen a white man since the area I visited had not been visited by white men in a nearly a decade. They literally rubbed my skin to see if the white came off. The world is an extraordinary place.

BTW these people are not "primitive" by any measure. They just live very differently. After meeting those tribes I left with the understanding that they had a grasp on the world that in many ways was more accurate than modern society. I also left understanding that "magic" exists.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join