It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1976 Tribe on Papua New Guinea meets white man for the first time. BEST VIDEO IVE SEEN IN A LONG TIM

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
thanks for posting

there is still cannibal tribes in that region

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Good video! Made me think of how our first contact with more advanced ETs would look like
. I´ve always thought, that it´s natural course of developemnt - at first you meet another tribe, witch is very strange to you, then you get to know other countries, then you learn, that world is round, there are many countries and you can communicate with everyone around the world whenever you want. Next step has to be communication with extraterrestrials, I see it as natural development. This video is beautiful example of the beginning.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DisturbedToo

nice video...kool to watch...you kinda wonder if that tribe are now tainted by the modern world.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Quite a pessimistic take on things. I know a group of people who do this type thing in 3rd world countries.
They set up camp with eveything they need, and when they leave, they just walk away. They leave everything, even their clothes and suitcases. Somehow I'm thinking the people in the OP's vid did much the same thing.

It was wonderment for them. People like to see and experience new things, don't you? So do they. Obviously they were filled with immense pleasure. Nothing wrong with that, sir.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
How civilized and uniquely human the natives were!

When encountering an alien race I would hope that the rest of humanity would behave in like fashion.

But I doubt it.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
S+F.....

I felt inspired by watching this an for once it felt good to be human

Just shows you theres goodness out there amongst all the darkness..

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I didn’t watch the video yet, since those kinds of sites are blocked while at work, but I don’t think it matters, I can pretty much guess how it goes.

White man barges into an untouched indigenous tribe who’s been living freely, happily and successfully for THOUSANDS of years. Give them trinkets and food to earn their trust and acceptance then BAM! Begin the westernization process. Introduce our culture, our religions, our behaviors, our history, our diseases, all while slowly tearing down their own way of life. Who the F**K do we think we are? What right do we have to assume dominance over them? It makes me sick.

It’s a matter of jealousy really. We’re jealous. We envy them because they have something we don’t, and we can’t stand it. The have freedom. Freedom from religious oppression, freedom government rule, freedom corporate control, freedom from taxes, money, insurance, laws, media, fashion, technology, social anxiety, trends, stress, pollution . . . the list goes on and on. So we seek them out, in the name of “good will and Christian faith”, and we infiltrate their communities. We show them our way of life, with all its pretty bells and whistles, and we trick them into assimilation. At least we stopped killing them outright.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
absolutely incredible.

these people had no idea an entire world was advancing around them. im almost certain that those people thought these men were gods. those matches were like magic to a tribe rubbing sticks together for 10 minutes to make a fire.
i have a theory, what if there was an advanced civilization during the times of the building of the pyramids (or before rather) and the people of egypt came into contact with them (like the video) and learned some things from them, meanwhile the civilized world collapses and all thats left are these pyramids and a bunch of hieroglyphs showing odd things like flying machines and people with head gear and such. maybe we think they came into contact with aliens, and to them... it was!!!

thanks for the video very cool.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I cried when I watched the video I could have watched that for a lomg time.

I think if we as a people had the same occurance with ET's we would probably kill first we don't take kindly to things different.

How wonderful and pure that was.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by amaster

I don't know the outcome of the tribe but i wouldn't say that was the case, hopefully when you watch the video you will think differently. The trinkets he gave them will hardly crush their culture and render them stupid I think at most he gave them some matches and a knife, the the knife might help them to improve their own tools. The matches will mean little to them as they have fire already.

I hope you feel differently after watching it.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

They probably recieved terrible things like medicine, and even perhaps a broader understanding that they arent alone in this world.

Not everything in modern times is evil, I'm sure there has been some good in their lives since this meeting as well.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DisturbedToo

Every culture is unique in terms of others and first contact. Some will kill you, others will eat you, others will touch you and trade with you. Same goes for Europeans. The different actions of the French, English, and Spanish all testify to that. Some kill, some trade, some eat even? who will ever know.

You can't just blame white people on conflict. You can probably blame the Spanish. But that's about it.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

It was sugar not rice.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
How beautiful. This kind of stuff makes me really emotional you know.

Suddenly they all realized. We are all the same!

damn what went wrong with humanity.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by eyesdown

I will watch it, but it won't change my mind. They don't need our help. They've lived sustainably and perfectly for far longer than we have. If anything, we need their help.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by amaster

Yes we can take a lot from the way they live, but I am talking about they could find some use in the way the knife was sharpened and apply it their own axes which as you will see in the video are extremely blunt.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Beautiful video. Nice find op.

Must be an amazing experience for both peoples.

st.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Well, I recall seeing the whole episode, and they traveled in the forest with them for a while.
I don't think they just dumped anything.

What I do know is that Dutilleux made money and a living out of the encounter, and the tribe made nothing as far as I know.

Now try doing that to Paris Hilton, or the Kardashians.
Shooting images is shooting a commodity; compared to taking trophies since colonial times.
Ironically I think he even mentioned in the program that they are below third-world poverty levels.

As for pleasure: it's a one way pleasure from what we know.
The tribe doesn't really look particularly ecstatic.
The white guy had a choice in traveling to find his pleasure (and business), the tribe had little choice in the matter.

But still, maybe it's not all bad.
Soon (or maybe even now) their kids will have pretty pictures to look at of how they used to dress and live.
Considering that the main tribe already fled into the forest after the initial contact in 1993, I guess the flood of tourists and missionaries is just what they needed.
Soon Mark and Olly might be around to snicker at their food, and crap in their forest.

But, realistically, their isolation would not have lasted forever, and they already knew of outsiders, they just had not seen a white man.
I think contact is a risk one must take, since it's the only way to put their land-claims on the map.
And I trust that Dutilleux is not just image, but also a bit of a true activist, and when the mines, the loggers and towns come we can remember that footage and fight for them.
But there are so many other forest hunter-gatherers that we do know about, like the Penan, and film-makers could not help them.
Well, malaria (I have a feeling it was other diseases lumped under malaria) already almost killed the Toulambi once after 1993, and if they are swamped it will probably destroy them all now.
www.jpdutilleux.com...

PS. Have you read my last post to the OP, are you sure that was entirely pessimistic?

Well, let me turn that around and ask: How realistic is all this naive amazement?
Although the footage is exceptional, not even Dutilleux presented it with emotive music, and he had grave reservations in his narrative about his actions. I actually wish somebody could post that original episode of Tribal Journeys, because it would change the whole debate.
edit on 23-6-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
That was SO BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for sharing.

~We are ALL ONE~

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Fantastic video.

Fun fact: 2 years after this filming, a walmart supercenter was erected in that spot...the natives in the video can now be met working at the sporting goods section

__
Ya, It is a awesome experience..luckily they didn't get eaten..I wonder what that knocking of their head meant when they were trying the (rice?) for the first time was....
Either "wow, this taste just blew my mind", or..."tastes a bit like brains"...hmm

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join