It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1976 Tribe on Papua New Guinea meets white man for the first time. BEST VIDEO IVE SEEN IN A LONG TIM

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure they were hitting their head because they were getting a intense amount of flavour they wern't use to getting, like when you get that crazy sugar head rush, or just a surge from good taste thats almost like a headache

their not use to that food one BIT, so it was intense

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
WOW i havent seen people that mesmerized ever in my life. The looks of pure wonder and astonishment were amazing to watch. the first thought that came to me was "hang on a minute.. wasn't this place know for the last place on earth where people still practiced cannibalism?" i think most people that get that good feeling watching this video are remembering a time in their life when something was that amazing and mind blowing to them and that is why this video makes them feel good. its like watching your favorite movie for the first time or the first time you kissed a girl or has sex. there will always only ever be one first time. everything after that is mere imitation of the first. Humans have an insatiable desire for novelty and discovery, its what drives us forward.

And just incidentally for all those haters of tech that say it has corrupted us simple tribal humans. i would like to point out and remind you that it is the very same technology that enabled the video to be shot and the same tech that enabled it to be spread online in order for you to have this experience and have the mind blowing thoughts your having while watching it now. so dont hate the tech. hate the society that uses it to control us in stead of free us. Insecure greedy and power mad humans are the problem not technology.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
reply to post by DisturbedToo

If somebody hasnt already posted it yet....proof positive it's a hoax. skyvington.blogspot.com...
It could be slander. Are these anthropologists the jealous type?

It makes me wonder how many times the public has been sold emotional manufactured reality video.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Seems to me they may have thought he was a spirit at first.

Going by their reactions when they first touched him, they seemed suprised he was a physical entity.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident

If somebody hasnt already posted it yet....proof positive it's a hoax. skyvington.blogspot.com...

It makes me wonder how many times the public has been sold emotional manufactured reality video.

You may be right....reading a bit further into the comments section there appears to be some controversy still left about the nature of this film and rather it is truly fake or not, involving some sort of lawsuit for slander...though it all seems like a confused mess trying to understand, since the source material offered by the author is all in French (which I don't speak).

I may have spoken too soon, then when I said 'proof positive' that it was a hoax....yet from the very beginning something about the film seemed 'fake' to me (though i'm not sure what...just a feeling I had...I was choosing to believe it was real at first...but with the controversy, I think I'm still leaning heavily towards the 'skeptic' side now.)
One thing that seems quite odd to me, is that Apparently the full footage includes scenes that seem to only be explained as a hoax...for instance the author writes in the comments section "In the video, a native burns his fingers in the flame of a match… as if he were discovering fire! A native picks up a spoon by the wrong end… in spite of the fact that they manufacture wooden spoons! He is astonished by the taste of salt… in spite of the fact that the natives in this region are experts in extracting salt from certain plants. " I can see an argument that perhaps this single tribe was less advanced than the others as far as their spoon and salt extracting abilities...but honestly.....Fire? Would any human beyond the age of 3 years old actually reach out and burn their finger on fire, as if it were something they've never seen before?!?! I don't think their is a tribe in recorded history that didn't understand, both the effects of fire, and how to make it....its sort of one of those first survival skills anyone needs to learn, ya know. I mean, archaeologists have found evidence that even the Neanderthals made, and used fires!!! LMAO!!! To suggest a fully human (and therefore every bit as bright as the rest of us) tribe would have never developed fire making ability, or would have an inability to understand even the most basic of fire related trivia [Fire = Hot.....Hot=Burn] Just seems to almost be an insult to a persons intelligence (as well as being somewhat racist)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
S&F.

This was an awesome video!!!!! I have always wondered what it would of been like when civilizations met for the first time! Thanks!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident

Which every one of you said it is hoax, You Lie.......

if you type jean pierre dutilleux into google, and click the official website it says

A native from Belgium, Jean-Pierre Dutilleux rose to international prominence with his extraordinary Academy Award nominated documentary "Raoni", an uncompromising investigation of the complex issues surrounding the survival of the remaining indigenous Indians of the Amazon Rainforest and, indeed, of the Rainforest itself. Furthermore, Raoni has become the prime spokesman for all of Brazil's surviving Indians.
These tribal journeys started during his college years. Indeed, Dutilleux traveled throughout North and South America, awakening his passion and respect for the native Indians. At age 22, Dutilleux completed his first documentary and has since filmed and photographed more than 50 tribes worldwide.

He goes around documenting different tribes and 'civilizations',, also this documentary didn't seem to have any
notion that it was fake, they were even amazed by the camera.

During the 30 years he has devoted to the indigenous people of the “First World” and the protection of the Amazon rainforest Dutilleux has gathered an amazing collection of photographs, films and artefacts.

his Photos, films, artefact photos are all available on his website

jpdutilleux.com...

Here is some photos from his website:

Link to the new gunie part of his website

jpdutilleux.com...

PEACE and May God Bless You All

edit on 26-6-2011 by ShadowZion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

I may have spoken too soon, then when I said 'proof positive' that it was a hoax....yet from the very beginning " I can see an argument that perhaps this single tribe was less advanced than the others as far as their spoon and salt extracting abilities...but honestly.....Fire? Would any human beyond the age of 3 years old actually reach out and burn their finger on fire, as if it were something they've never seen before?!?!

But what you are failing to take from that is that this would have been the first time they would have seen fire be created by such a simple task as lighting a match you would be in a state, you would want to test to see if it was real fire because you cant get over the fact that fire had just been made by an easier way that they will have previously ever known how.

This is like waking up tomorrow realizing you can fly, so you go as i high as you can till you reach space and end up choking because you cant breathe in space and the other people who have been flying for years laughing at you. Very extreme example but very relevant

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
great video love how amazed they were when they seen him. favorite part was the man he gave the mirror to, i would to know what was running through his head that very moment.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by dontlaughthink
reply to post by iamaperson

You do realize you people that are calling this a hoax , are doing so just because someone told you it was.
Go there yourself and then make up your own mind.
Did anyone notice the leader looking at is reflection in the camera

Dont you put your hand out to cat or dog if you want it to approach you. I'm sure you don't want to shake its paw

Yes we did have tech that good in the 70s

I'm not the one saying this is a hoax, but I can't definitely say that it is not a hoax, and that is why I acknowledge the possibility and welcome anyone to prove that it is false, which no ones done so far. I would be quite disapointed if this does end up being a hoax.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

That blog post is in no way proof positive, have you even read it? First the author claims that the Toulambis don't even originate from the area, then acknowledges the mistake but still hangs on to the rest of the short paragraphs authenticity. He is a third person, with seemingly no knowledge of the events and does not provide any sources. I am inclined at the moment to believe that this is actually real.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Amazing video.

If it was faked, as some allege... The actors all deserve Oscars.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

While this was beautiful, I think it's seeing the tribe in their natural setting I find so beautiful. Throughout the video I kept thinking to myself, and feeling rather sad, that this tribe has probably been corrupted or destroyed because of our intervention.
I pray that they haven't...but I know what we do.
Peace and One Love

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I've watched the OP clip again, and the slowed version and displaced pseudo Native American plinky-plunky music just makes it more obvious.
This is such a fraud, it's actually painful to behold.

About three of the men look kinda worried, fearful and wide-eyed.
This is juxtaposed with laughing and singing as the clip progresses.
The reactions become increasingly mixed from the rather forced wide-eyed men, to more relaxed "tourist" performance behavior.
Most of the tribe stand back politely, and the children look downright bored.

The hair smudging is an eyesore, and it copies Diane Fossey or The Mission (popular movies at the time), rather than any historical first contact.
Historically the aborigines at Botany Bay first shouted "Warra" (bugger off), and then they touched the butts and groins of the British men, believing they were women. In fact, a white penis had to be flashed before they got the message.
There's no immediate markers on Dutilleux signifying him as a man.
His outfit is strange in itself, and it makes me pity this tribe to see such a terribly dressed white person.
His gender was obviously known to them before.
In fact, his whole sham narrative here is so thin that one cannot even locate a date or decade, even with the original footage. It took us long to do so on this thread.
He obfuscates at every turn to make it all appear timeless.
With Columbus people went from house to house shouting: "Come to see the people from heaven".
With Mark and Olly in New Guinea, they were threatened with real arrows.

Totally fake and coached. Especially the scene with the mirror really has the three main actors gesturing, as if they didn't know what they were wearing (around the waist they are actually in drag by the New Guinean standards of hunters).
Even if they hadn't seen an actual white man before, living along a major trade river they certainly must have known mirrors, knives and spoons.
The other shots place people into the landscape in a semiotic design of primitiveness.
This framing detracts from the reality of poverty.
What all this hides is the more starving "Ethiopian moments".
A lot of these people were clearly sick and malnourished, especially the children.
It's just total exploitation.

The more I see it, the more I think some Westerners have lost their critical faculties.
And then there's Dutilleux, behaving like the "great white god-magician".

Nope, I'm sorry to say, you've all been fooled in long tradition of this type of material.
It's a fraud, and not even a good one.
edit on 26-6-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Just like Edward S. Curtis did for North American Indian culture in the early 1900's (also highly debated photography), Dutilleux was doubtlessly a great photographer, but in our age of reality TV it is OK to frame things as they are, and it's OK to let people demonstrate their culture because they enjoy it - it is no longer necessary to sell directed film as "documentary".
In fact many tribal people are making their own film, and that patronizing "colonial gaze" may be turned around.
But ultimately most film is made for a Westernized market, which romanticizes tribal cultures that are conveniently out of the way.
We no longer want to be duped into visuals of uncontacted tribes.
The whole terminology needs an enema.
We should differentiate, say between uncontacted A, and uncontacted B.
- Uncontacted A: Tribes that are completely isolated, in the sense that Australia or the Americas were once isolated (although that is debatable).
- Uncontacted B: Tribes that may not have met a white person, but neighboring tribes have told them of whites, and exchanged Western trade goods with them.

I first thought the clip was simply contacting "Uncontacted B".
It probably was to an extent.
But reviewing the material again, it seems so bad and coached that I doubt this.
It's a paid group of totally contacted people acting like they are from "Uncontacted B".
In my interpretation, in this case, there's no two ways about it.
It's a total scam.
If you pay people from group B to remove all trade goods and act like group A, that is already an act of fraud, unless you tell your audience why you are doing this.

Mark and Olly, or Bruce Parry have met more people from "Uncontacted B", and although their framing is also problematic (such as Parry's focus on "cannibalism - which is used as a framing advert, but never shown as a part of daily life), at least their clips generally correspond to their claims.

Dutilleux claims this tribe is totally uncontacted, but they also fall into "B".
You can't have both - it's like an "unsurprising surprise" oxymoron.
And that's exactly what we get - three surprised acting people (one of whom is clearly painfully ill), and the unsurprised people around them, hoping that they are doing everything right to get their medicines.
Just dreadful.

The moral issue here is more about lying to Western culture. From the view of tribal peoples it's no worse than the exploitation of tribal people in films like The Mission, Zulu, The Gods must be Crazy, Nanook of the North, and many others.

It seems that up to the late 1990's auteurs have focused on tribal groups as either cannibals or gentle hippies.
These dichotomies remain reactive in our culture, for example: women are either Madonna figures or whores; gays are either evil hedonists or innocent victims, and in that sense we are still living in 19th century Romanticism.
At least nowadays we are getting a more balanced report (or are we?).
Here, some Bruce Parry material from New Guinea, with a group that really fall into "Uncontacted B":
Note that while the Kombai are civil to Parry, they do not not regard him as anything special.
What they do say, even with Mark and Olly, is that they want to record their culture before it is gone.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I cant imagine being a fully grown man and seeing myself for the first time in a mirror. You could tell it was almost too much for them. Great video, i wish we had more earth loving cultures out there like these natives.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yeah he looked at the mirror, and he acted surprised ... for how many seconds?
But the white man sits there with all his tricks, like some kind of guru.
Terrible.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowZion

I may have spoken too soon, then when I said 'proof positive' that it was a hoax....yet from the very beginning " I can see an argument that perhaps this single tribe was less advanced than the others as far as their spoon and salt extracting abilities...but honestly.....Fire? Would any human beyond the age of 3 years old actually reach out and burn their finger on fire, as if it were something they've never seen before?!?!

But what you are failing to take from that is that this would have been the first time they would have seen fire be created by such a simple task as lighting a match you would be in a state, you would want to test to see if it was real fire because you cant get over the fact that fire had just been made by an easier way that they will have previously ever known how.

This is like waking up tomorrow realizing you can fly, so you go as i high as you can till you reach space and end up choking because you cant breathe in space and the other people who have been flying for years laughing at you. Very extreme example but very relevant

I dunno....I still don't think I'm buying it...That would make the Natives idiots. For instance to use a more apt comparison, an Alien could come down out of a space ship, and point his finger at a twig, and light it on fire. I would be astonished...never having seen or known such a thing to be possible by my primitive science...yet I wouldn't be so stupid as to stick my hand in the flame!

Now as for your other comparison (which I like, if for no other reason than it reminds me a bit of the myth of Icarus) I'd have to say that in that situation...the guy would also be an idiot....that is assuming, of course, that its a modern man....I think most school children know that you need extra oxygen at high altitude...and oxygen period if you go out of Earth's Atmosphere.....Now if it were one of the tribesmen...then yeah, they would not necessarily have that knowledge (unless they happened to live in an area with extremely tall mountains, high enough for you to notice the oxygen depletion.....which is unlikely unless it be a tribe of Sherpas), but of course this is stretching the concept a bit too far to be relevant in my opinion. (I still liked the idea though)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamaperson

That blog post is in no way proof positive, have you even read it? First the author claims that the Toulambis don't even originate from the area, then acknowledges the mistake but still hangs on to the rest of the short paragraphs authenticity. He is a third person, with seemingly no knowledge of the events and does not provide any sources. I am inclined at the moment to believe that this is actually real.

Actually if you keep on reading into the comment section, he does give plenty of sources...but they are all in French, so I can't exactly say for a fact that they are legit...in fact he brings up at least one possible problem with the 'hoax' Idea, and seems to waver a bit himself on whether or not it may have been real....I comment a bit more on this in another reply, and I do admit that I was a bit hasty calling it 'proof positive'.

Still though....I'm not buying it....My first impression (which generally is right, but I don't listen to often enough) felt it was fishy) I dismissed it at first, and started believing it....but after some more thought I think I'm more skeptical than ever (again...find the other replies I wrote if you'd like...I go into a bit more detail there, about why I'm not buying it)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

No worries, I went through the same mental reactions.
That is from: this is bullcrap, to it could be true, to I know this is bullcrap - and the emotional reaction wanes with each viewing.
Somebody presenting the clip with this music and all was probably the worst thing that could have happened to Dutilleux.
Also, quite honestly, if he wasn't so often the literal center-piece, they could have gotten away with it.
I mean who really knew that the Ankave people dominated a whole province?

Also if he dated his clips on his website, the debate might have closed sooner.
But now I get it, he says the "Toulambis" were contacted in 1993, the same year he probably made his film, and therefore HE contacted them.
Now why doesn't he say that: "I contacted and filmed the Toulambis in 1993?"
Instead we are led onto some wild goose chase.
I know why he doesn't say that.
He probably invented the "Toulambis" as "lost" hunter-gatherers in 1993.
He's keeping his narrative claims as open as possible, just in case it does end up in court.
While everybody cries and thinks that this clip is real first contact, he never really said that.
What he claims is quite complex - he claims to have filmed a sub-group of a known group, who had never seen a white man, but knew of white people.
Even this seems untrue.
Ultimately he's counting on the idea that nobody will ever check, and that everybody will take his footage at face value.

He gives the impression that the supposed first contact is separate to the clip.
It seems likely that he didn't discover a group of "Toulambis" - he framed a group of the Ankave people to act like them.
However, if one searches images of the Ankave people, they dressed like that, but they are farmers.

Unfortunately, now I've been provoked into watching it repeatedly.
The more I watch it the more sickened I get.
And the worst part of it all is Dutilleux himself in the clip.
The way he acts is just passed ridiculous for somebody meeting a whole new tribe.
He's acting like David Copperfiled!

There are reasons to get all emotional about this clip, but most people have got the wrong end of the stick.

Perhaps I am wrong for my view, and they really were a sub-tribe who were introduced to whites by Dutilleux.
But, I'd rather believe 10 accredited anthropologists.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join