It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1976 Tribe on Papua New Guinea meets white man for the first time. BEST VIDEO IVE SEEN IN A LONG TIM

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Thanks for posting the video link.

It's quite intriguing. The first tentative movements to touch and the quick recoil from the touch made me wonder if the native people thought at first that they were encountering a vision or a spirit, rather than a physical being. If so it would seem that they are surprisingly at ease with such an ocurrence.

Another thing that struck me was their quick nervous reactions to anything that surprised them. They are very alert and careful. Probably as cautious as everything else that lives in the jungle.

The reaction to the rice, the head banging, was also interesting. They might have had quite a strong physical and nervous reaction to the taste and to the effect of such a pure starch.

They seem like nice happy people. I hope they are still.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
That was good. It made me happy and sad at the same time. Their lives were forever changed at that moment.

They learned to want more than ever.

I think most everybody has seen each other at this point. Makes me wonder how we as a species might react to another technologically advanced one with fancy gadgets.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by diegodaly
reply to post by ommadawn

Oh, looked like rice to me.
And about the date, yeah, quality looks kinda good for being made at the 70's..
I'll look into that guy's work, thanks!

www.jpdutilleux.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I saw the video and it really touched me.
The clenliness of children...
The purity of man.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DisturbedToo

and what does the white man do ? he's in their home but he tries first thing to show them his (superior) way (he thinks); he couldn't care about their ways.

then the white man show them a MIRROR = the birth of the devil ego & the end of connection with mother earth.

the white man is a snipped colonizer and this video is the slaughtering of an ancient culture.

what have become today this tribal people that were our living link with nature ?

nobody cares here because as usual ATS flaggers are facebookers with very short views; sad.

(nb:i'm white)
edit on 23-6-2011 by XmikaX because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
[Mod Edit - Removed circumvented profanity]
edit on 23/6/2011 by Sauron because: removed profanity

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

I totally agree with this guy, i bet there lives were never the same, that dude shoulda axed the camera man at 2:37, i read another reply in the first couple pages about the white man just using new guinea for mining, i guess after ur discovered by the white man, all hope is lost.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Man, what an inspiring video. I almost cried watching them enjoy the food that we take for granted. He was so amazed by the taste he couldn't even swallow the first bite.

My biggest petpeve in the world is the thought that democracy may take over these peaceful people. They are true to their land, true to mother earth, and a window into our past. I hope we never make them like us.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

Seriously? I know I made a statement regarding that I hope they don't warm up to democracy and all. But this guy interacted with them in a way we could never understand. These people are our lost knowledge of how the world is supposed to be.
But, don't dis us all for getting a warm feeling in our hearts for this interaction.

Those who assume make an ass out of themselves!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Wow! I am still new to posting on ATS but this video really moved me.
What a profound experience it must have been for the white men who met this tribe. A small part of me, however, couldn't help but feel sadly for them. In reflection, I realize how tainted I have become with our society to immediately think that something bad happened to these people as a result of their encounter.

Does anyone have any further information on this tribe? Also, any guess to the what they were trying to relay when they started knocking their fists to their heads after eating the rice? "Ummm yum"? haha

I'll read back through to see if anyone posted anything. Great find and thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Not so fast. There was no active hostility, but there was clearly fear-based hostility. See how they grabbed their weapons during the first touches? Not so much hostility as fear. It's simple, he didn't know what the heck he was meeting, so he held onto his weapon. You can also see him always looking back for defensive purposes. As the video goes on, he looks back fewer and fewer times as his trust grows. Eventually he doesn't even touch the weapon he held. It is wise for the visitors to show their weapons last, as it would be dangerous to show first.

Overall a wonderful experience, as I've often wondered how a tribal man would react to, say, an alien. That raw primitive culture without the influences of modern media and knowledge. How would the very beginning of civilization long ago react. Here we see how.
edit on 23-6-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
please tell me there is a video version with the real sound?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
reply to post by dadgad

Nothing went wrong because we are still advancing and haven't got to the stage of greatness yet.

lol. Where is the advancement? Did I miss something? (lets rule out technology, we really own that to a handful of people)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for sharing. Truly peaceful, simple people. That part where the tribesman touched the camera guy's hand for the first time, it was like he just touched fire, lol. They were astonished by the technology for sure, just like we would be. Now you know how we would react if a higher civilization visited us right now, we would act the same way, touching their gadgets. The tribe, after fear of the unknown, was in absolute awe. Very nice video

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sith9157

One other thing..When the tribesmen first met the guy with the matches, it looked like they were trying to rub the color off of his skin, checking to see if he was painted. After all, they had never seen a white person before

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Just found out this footage may have been faked by the tribesmen. The main guy being scared of his reflection in the mirror apparently later cried with shame over his pretend act (text Google translated from French):

Quote:
"The comments free of the explorer on the aggressiveness of Toulambis can only harm their reputation, as well as pantomimes to which they devoted themselves to the camera, which belong to a humanity that would hardly be aware of acts and objects from the Paleolithic universally known - like using the concave side of a spoon to take food. Brought to taste matches, to spit out the rice and frightened of his own image in a mirror, the main actor in this sketch devoted to the authentic told me crying shame. The Toulambis could only follow the letter directing the parties Papuan guides to meet them dictated to them by their own vision of the Stone Age. Have hidden their metal tools and removed their belts of beads and plastic pieces of European clothes they wore, they are bent to orders on behalf of the nurses who had earlier spread the news of their "discovery". Who lives in four days walk from the nearest clinics in a region of endemic malaria, a little quinine is well worth a good joke

terrain.revues.org...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Wonderful video! It just makes think this is probably the reaction of all unfound tribes around the world once they first met white men. I can't imagine the poor indigenous people of Hispaniola and the islands are there once Columbus came.

It's beautiful, yet depressing.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I'd like to add this is N.S.F.W.
great video though.

whats the background song called?

link   
Very interesting. The first thing that caught my eye was how the tribe tried to wipe the white off of the white guy as if he was painted. That's the only thing impressionable being that tribe recognized "race". Another thing to comment about is, It took that tribes man all of 10seconds to recognize what the Mirror actually was. Being they see their reflections all the time in water they were more then amazed to see a hand held object that can do the same. I also like how when the white guy took out his machete and started chopping wood, the tribes man asked for his and tried the same thing with more then poor results, and he did so knowing his tool was not as good.

link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

Originally posted by aureusleo8
Imagine what an unacquainted aborigine tribe would do today if they were to meet westerners for the
first time. Today's technology is so much more advanced and sublime than the 1970s technology shown in the video. The unconversant aborigines would certainly think we were gods; even though that may be what they already thought of of the westerners in the video.

While I don't agree that aboriginal peoples regarded whites as gods - perhaps more often as ghosts or "people from heaven" (aliens), I do think that some Western people would like to believe that canard, and that's why they feel they must go to uncontacted tribes, so that they can misinterpret their distressed amazement as "worship".
edit on 23-6-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

That sounds justifiable but the usual reaction to white people in PNG is that they are gods. They are being studied to discover the natural human inclination to create gods.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
wow dat was good... wat is the music background.. i have heard it before...

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join