It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1976 Tribe on Papua New Guinea meets white man for the first time. BEST VIDEO IVE SEEN IN A LONG TIM

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Its a really amazing video.But now sadly there are no more uncontacted tribes in the world (that we no of). Nice video.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I remember this vid..... it's more interesting reading the comment's about a video that was forgotten a generation ago in the 90's..... I would also bet that Papua New Guinea tribe may have met the outside world before, only forgotten to a new generation too.
edit on 23-6-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DisturbedToo

Wow, what a historical video................thank you for finding and sharing it.

Now, take this one step further, will we civilized humans be as friendly and curious and open as those "natives" if and when we are ever approached by alien civilazation.

My money, sadly enough is on these folks will be shopping at KMart, eating Big Macs and using cell phones within the decade.

And who is the happier. They looked pretty peaceful and content to me. Compare their facial expressions to those of your average office drone with the glazed hardened eyes, drawn lips and uptight position.

Those indigenous people looked pretty sharp, if you looked into their eyes, their no dummies, their eyes were taking in everything going on around them and processing it as fast as possible.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

That was the most interesting video I've seen for a long time! Those people were so innocent and apprehensive after seeing that white guy and the technology he showed them. It really made me feel good inside watching them interact with each other.

I was curious as to what they were trying to communicate when they were eating the rice and than hitting the side of their head. I figured it was their way of showing that they really liked the taste of the rice.

Now we know how we would act if confronted by something far more advanced than us. I know being apprehensive and scared would be high on my list. Thanks for sharing, I would give you more than 1 star and flag if I could. Everyone should take the time to watch this!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Just want to say thanks for bringing this video to my attention... was VERY interesting to watch.
I see some people have mixed opinions about this...but I found it to be quite amazing.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AusiAnarchist
Loved it. See how the tribal leader kept looking at his own skin then at the white guys, not quite believing what he was seeing. Then when they were touching the white guy they were rubbing his arms to see if they could get the white pigment off, classic

Yeah, Europeans who have never encountered dark skinned people do the same thing.
Human curiosity.

But I do find the explorers actions a bit reckless. They must know by now that they might carry diseases that could decimate the tribes, or objects that can interfere with their lifestyles. When the time is right, when they are ready, these people will on their own venture outside their borders to discover the world. I dont see why we should prematurely initiate contact. I mean if it was accidental or necessary, thats something else.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I agree with the above poster. Reading the posts I see that many here will also agree.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Thank You! I shed a little tear of happiness! I'm sharing this on my fb page!

To those who see this as fake: Really!?!?

Made my week to see this!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I dunno - when i watched it, I felt like they were assessing white guys there. Noticed it looked like a guy with a blowgun was standing off in the background. When they were feeling his muscles and stuff, I thought "Hmm, this guy's not that strong!"

But the first native guy they showed - ok, minus the cultural adornment through the nose - he is really quite handsome!

They all looked extremely healthy and all well fed and nourished.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This thread also shows how every single thread nowdays is hijacked by left-wingers ("Those evil Americans did genocide against Native Americans!") and right-wingers ("The white race is the only race that delivers culture!").

But seen for what it is (without the ideological garbage in this thread) its just a beautiful example of how two cultures can meet and despite being TERRIFIED, can extend trust without animosity.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Thank you so much. This truley is awsome. To top that the music with it is from another part of me; and the name of my favorite purfume. I wonder what's the artist? Truley Great.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I dunno - when i watched it, I felt like they were assessing white guys there. Noticed it looked like a guy with a blowgun was standing off in the background. When they were feeling his muscles and stuff, I thought "Hmm, this guy's not that strong!"

But the first native guy they showed - ok, minus the cultural adornment through the nose - he is really quite handsome!

They all looked extremely healthy and all well fed and nourished.

My thoughts exactly, especially the first guy, who I like to call "PointsLeft" (to borrow the style from Apocalypto).

Whatever he's been eating and so forth, he looks great. I wonder about the hairstyles too. Most of them very neat and close cropped. What do you do? Very careful and skilled burning?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

This video is so amazing!
I wonder why they made that gesture with their hands in the back of their head when they tried the food, looked like a gesture for saying that they liked something maybe.

Made me think also about all those times when natives met white man, and white man wasn't smart or kind enough to them.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by diegodaly

This video is so amazing!
I wonder why they made that gesture with their hands in the back of their head when they tried the food, looked like a gesture for saying that they liked something maybe.

Made me think also about all those times when natives met white man, and white man wasn't smart or kind enough to them.

My guess is that it was refined sugar.

The white film maker is Jean Pierre Dutilleaux if you want to find out more. Not 1976, post 1993 or so.
The Maglite torch for a start did not appear in any form until 1979.

www.jpdutilleux.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This makes me sick. If anything, this is a cruel exploitation of these people. "OMGGGG, TRIBAL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Man come on, everyone knows they exist. Why does one feel the need to interfere with these peoples way of life? It makes me just as sick to see this type of crap on the discovery or travel channel. But wait, this had music, its touching.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I put it on facebook so my friends could see it. Very touching.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Sooo many conflicting thoughts about this video -- marvelous and disturbing at the same time. Introduction of white man disease was one of the negatives, to be sure. Another was it was all one-sided. The white guys showing off their shiny trinkets, gizmos and toys, but learning nothing from the natives who obviously know the lay and ways of the land like the back of their hands. Typical.

About the head slapping -- that was funny and intriguing to watch. I could relate it to two things in our own experience -- we slap ourselves on the head with an "ah-hah" kind of moment, don't we? It could be related; on the other hand if the stuff was sugar as someone suggested, and not rice, then it might have been like an "ooooooooooooooh no, toooooooo sweet" kind of thing; especially considering they are not used to highly refined sweetness made with toxic chemicals (you knew that didn't you?).

Whatever it was, it was cool. I agree that they were handsome people. It is so sad that disease, alcohol and corruption have been the outcome of our contact with them.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Thank you for sharing this video. I had never seen it before now. What a beautiful area and beautiful kind and joyous people.

But it did make me cry...for loss of their security and the disruption of their environment and existence as they knew it.

Why do we seem to think that everyone and everything is better and improved for having known us or simply to satisfy our curiousity. Sometimes its better to just leave things alone.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ommadawn

Oh, looked like rice to me.
And about the date, yeah, quality looks kinda good for being made at the 70's..
I'll look into that guy's work, thanks!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by idunno12

I think it's good they now know there is a world out there with all kinds of different people... I doubt their way of life was disrupted in a way that would make it unrecognizable... They simply have more knowledge of the world than they did before...

I see nothing wrong with this...

On our end, perhaps showing the western world a video like this is exactly what they need.. Sure there are many primitive customs and beliefs but that aside I imagine there is a lot we could learn from them.. Perhaps how to survive without all the materialistic technologies we've grown accustomed to.. In my personal view this video is a good reminder that humanity once survived solely with sticks and stones quite effectively for thousands of years.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join