It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Air Traffic Video Showing Unusual (?) Fastmovers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This video was posted earlier this year on ATS, but it was for purely entertainment purposes. A more critical viewing shows a few interesting "fastmovers" among the vast armada of aircraft flying during the 24 hour time period this video shows. The speed may be consistent with high supersonic military aircraft, as indeed some of the these aircraft are shown flying multiple times the speed of conventional aircraft. If you compare the speed of these fastmovers with those individual returns of transpacific airliners (check out those individual airliners flying from South America to New Zealand), which are flying around 500 miles per hour or so, you may get the impression as I have that these fastmover aircraft are flying at tremendous speeds. All the fastmovers I observed are flying well above the arctic circle. I wonder if anybody out there could make an educated guess, based on this visual data, as to just how fast some of these aircraft are really flying at in comparison to normal intercontinental flight speeds. It may be easier to view in full screen modus through YouTube if your screen is small.

edit on 22-6-2011 by fockewulf190 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I do not believe they can be true radar returns as some of the areas they have traced aircraft to are well out of radar range, for example over parts of the pacific ocean or near the antarctic ocean. I wouldn't read too much into this.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I forgot to mention thie air traffic is being observed by satellite. From the video description posted under the video at YouTube:

"This is a 24 hour observation of all of the large aircraft flights in the world, condensed down to 1:11. From space we look like a bee hive of activity. What you will see, is a video showing air traffic around the world for 24 hours, taken from a satellite. The yellow dots are airplanes in the sky during a 24 hour period."

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Well as a satellite can only view a third of the earths surface at any one time, I would suggest by minimum 3 satellites will have been used to compile the data. Then collerating all of this and merging it into one video might have caused anomolies in the timings and speed

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
Well as a satellite can only view a third of the earths surface at any one time, I would suggest by minimum 3 satellites will have been used to compile the data. Then collerating all of this and merging it into one video might have caused anomolies in the timings and speed

What would you say if all the data is accurately being displayed. Care to guess at which Mach level those aircraft are flying at?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
It is not a satellite view. The youtube poster who said that is incorrect. The tracks are provided by air traffic control flight tracking.
The video was originally posted in 2008.
www.youtube.com...

The "fast movers" are moving at the same speed as the other aircraft. The reason they look like they are moving faster is because the map is "stretched" at the poles because of the map projection used. Notice how wide Greenland is. It is not really wider than the US.

edit on 6/22/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by fockewulf190

Maybe they appear to be moving faster because when you flatten out a sphere, the top and bottom of the sphere is stretched out to match up with everything else.
As a result, the objects appear to cover the distance faster than they really are...

imo...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Wow there are really some fast ones up north.Where did you get this footage,well if you posted this video?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by fockewulf190

This is very easily explained. The map is a two-dimensional projection of a three-dimensional object - a globe. Representing a sphere on a flat surface necessarily distorts the surface.

The parts of the map near the equator are less distorted, and are stretched as you move away from the equator towards the poles. Because of the map's projection distortion, an inch near the poles does not represent the same distance as an inch near the equator. Since speed is distance/time and distance on this map changes, the apparent speed changes as well. But the actual speed is normal.

new topics

top topics

join