It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should parents allow their kids to have sex at home? Your thoughts.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I was browsing around the interwebs and came across this story. As I have no children of my own, I was hoping parents might chime in with their opinions. I can sort of see both sides of this coin. On the one hand, teens are going to find a way and better to have them safe at home then out in a car. On the other, Should parents who allow their childs significant other to have sex in their home be required to tell the kids parents?

My knee jerk reaction was bad idea, but I would like some other people's perspective.

Today, on Good Morning America, TV host Elizabeth Hasselbeck reported on the small but growing number of parents who prefer their kids to have sex at home. These parents believe that their teenagers are going to have sex anyway and they'd rather it happen at home in a "safe" environment.

Link

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I had sex at home when I was younger, it was great!

To extend on that, if you are at the stage where you are going to have sex, you are going to have it, at home, outside, in a car, where ever, its experimenting with something new. I wouldnt particularly inform my parents I was going to have sex upstairs in 10 mins, its something that just happens.

The trick is to be informed and educated about sex, this is the parents responsibility to offer the young adult the knowledge to make an informed and wise decision about the circumstances and consequences of this new and exciting frontier.

edit on 22-6-2011 by Fatmandy because: more info!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Fatmandy

Yeah so did I, but my parents would have killed me if they knew. Were your parents aware that you were having sex in their house?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
No, it would take all the fun out of sneaking around and doing it behind their backs.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Are you insane? No, no, no and no again. Should we actually encourage stupidity?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I wont give a "free pass" on it. But yes I think it is okay in certain circumstances. A long term responsible relationship, I would allow.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Like dad said the only people having sex under this roof is married.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
You know what is amazing? It seems like parents were almost never children or something. Like, once a certain age is reached all the mischievous stuff you did as a teen is blocked or erased entirely and they adopt the "parental" persona. Teens have sex. Teens had sex when you were a teen OP. Teens will have sex when your current teens are parents and wondering if they should allow their kids to have sex in their homes. It is cyclic and never ending.

Now, on to actually commenting on the topic at hand? Yes, let them have sex in the home, as long as parental consent of ALL parties (ie. all the parents) is in the positive. And drinking too.

Disclaimer: I have no kids.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
added a bit more to my post which answers some questions ^^^

and yes, my parents were aware and had confidence that I was no fool.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I also think refering to children or kids having sex is incorrect, by this stage these people are young adults.
Children or kids should not be having sex!
edit on 22-6-2011 by Fatmandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I had sex at home when I was younger too. And I had sex at my partners houses as well. Personally, when I have kids, Im gonna allow them to have sex at home. I honestly dont mind, they're going to have their own bedroom, so its no biggie for me

And I am of the belief try before you buy

Rather than sex after marriage....no fun in that

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
My younger brother's girlfriend was kicked out of her house and now lives with us, staying in his room! He's 18 and she's 21, who knows what goes on behind that door but i'm certain my mom isn't that dense.

What scared me was overhearing from a friend of his that his girlfriend was pregnant. Turned out to be false but my brother didn't seem to have any concern. Considering he's unemployed and we're all struggling for money in this house I would expect him to take all precautions if they HAVE to have sex.

If I had children, I wouldn't want a couple of teenagers getting all naked and sweaty in my house, totally irresponsible. I don't buy for a minute that teenagers "have to and will have sex", even protection fails, be responsible. Until those teenagers are able and ready to take care of a baby, they shouldn't be doing it at all. Abortions at that point are just absolutely selfish and reckless, if I had to take care of my grandchild then alright but I pray my children have a little more sense than that.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Fatmandy

You got me on that one. I may have to do some editing in a second here. I know this topic seems silly to some but I am genuinely interested in what people have to say. I remember being a teenager and sneaking around to fool around, and it was kind of a pain. Having no kids I have no idea the correct answer. I suppose if boh sets of parents/guardians knew and protection/precautions were used it would be something I would consider allowing.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

No, no and no, that is disrespectful to the parents home, My daughter is 27 and I don't even allow her fiancé to visit her room when in the house, but if she wants to spend the night at his house (he owns a home)as she ofter do, that is fine with me.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I hate to admit this but I think I have a bit of a double standard going on here. For me it would be easier to allow my son to have sex in the home than my daughter. I know, I know, bad Domo.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I think this goes hand in hand with allowing teens/young adults to drink at home under parental supervision. If teens are curious about sex/alcohol (which they most certainly are) then they will find a way to getrdone regardless of rules or laws. So why not educate them on safe practices under safe circumstances.

Granted, half the fun was defnitely sneaking around with the possibility of getting caught in the back of your mind
I wish my girlfriend was more risky with where we do the dirty

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Hmmm...now this is a good question...but I am extremely biased so my opinion may not count.

I am a father of 4 girls, ages 11-18, so now we have a clear case of bias established...let me get down to business...

I think it is every parents duty (or should be anyway) to protect their children and instill in them values that are important...now I am not talking about societal expectations...but rather moral goodness and common sense.

So on that note, I think there are a lot of circumstances that would dictate a teenage child having sex in the home...for instance: Does the family follow Christinian beliefs and do the hold the Bible as a guide to what is expected of them as Christians? In this case having pre-marital sex would be taboo either in the home or not.

Do we have a society that promotes sex at every turn? Yes, absolutely we do, and do we just want our children to be "normal" according to society's standards? I would hope not, at least I don't want my children to conform to what is considered normal...having sex at home...well sure if it is their own home and with their husbands...but that is not what we are discussing here at all.

Do we attempt to build a bubble around our children and keep all the evils of the world at bay? No way, that is foolishness at it's best...we have to support our children and hope that the things that we value carry over to them and they can make better decisions than we made.

What I did as a young man is not what I want my children to do...hypocrite...yes absolutely and I think every parent is.

Bottom line...No way! Not in my house as a underage minor out of wedlock...not going to happen (at least it won't be allowed) and that is my stance.

Thanks for letting me share!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Actually only once I allowed my son and his girlfriend to sleep in my son's former room and that was because they have been leaving together in their own place for one year and it was a hot summer day and their air conditioner was broken.

I don't think they were having sex as this happen at 3 in the morning and both had to get up early to work.

link   
reply to post by deanGI5

I am actually VERY opposed to letting teens drink at home but I thought the same thing when I first read the article. For me the two are similar but also very different. Alcohol problems in my family and my having been a drinker at 16 probably have something to do with this. If my parents had allowed me to consume alcohol in the home I would be a raging alcoholic today.

link   
Absolutely NOT!!!

Some of the funnest sex I ever had was in all the strange random places my girlfriend and I would have to make due with. Sex is a sport, and should not be practiced on furniture designed for sleeping.

Besides, have fun telling your son's girlfriend's Father that his daughter is hanging out over at your house this weekend and will most likely be getting freaky to the break-a-break-a-dawn.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join