It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If everyone lived by the simple philosophy of do no harm then the world would be quite a different p

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I have been thinking about how over policied we really are. It seems like there is a new law, policy or rule that comes out ever week or month. If people understood the very simple philosphy and rule of Do no harm then the world would be very simple.
Do not harm encopasses so much. If a person is speeding and causes a wreck that is harmful to someone else. If a government idly sits by and watches people starve than this is causing harm by not stepping in to help.
If this was the only rule we had then people would have to stop and think about their actions. They would have to devolop critical thinking skills rather than being told what to think.
This would free the world and create a more humane/enlightened society. I live by this simple rule myself. I never speed, I never curse at someone or put that person down, I help someone in need, I volunteer my time when I can, and I don't even litter. For me the simple rule encompasses so much. Can anyone think of an instance were do no harm would not be benefical besides self defense?
We have wars, crime and so much poverty in our world. It can all be fixed with this very simple philosphy. We would not have to create more rules and laws to keep people in line or to protect people. I believe people if given the chance to think on their own will make the right descion and if they dont well they don't belong in our society.
If someone disobeyed this rule of do no harm too many times they would simply be banished from our society meaning forced to live on thier own without societys help.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
feel free to ask me questions as well. I want this to be a deep meaningful post where we really think of what this really means. Sure I am not perfect but this is what I live by and it works for me.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Well I think that we can all agree that if everyone followed this advice the world would be a better place. Problem is, we're human. Humans are greedy, emotional and selfish. What you said is almost like saying if we gave everyone food no one would starve. We all know that, but it's a hell of a lot easier in theory than practice.

Also, define harm for me really quick. When I drive I'm doing some sligh harm to everyone that breathes the exhaust. You stated that we wouln't need traffic laws, that people would just drive safely so they wouldn't harm anyone. Everyone's idea of safety is different. How to address that?

edit on 22-6-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
as long as money is used to live that will never happen.
and no, I can not think of a case where doing harm (to people) benefits everyone.
except of course killing dangerous animals that pose a threat to a community. Or harming cancer, AIDS, or any disease for that matter.
Maybe even harming someones belief system is ok as long as it does not harm them physically.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Of course it would be open for interrpatation. We would have to be a point where we were more enlightened and could use our own judgement to define.
To me harm is something that can kill or seriously injury someone. It also includes damaging someone's self esteem. We would pretty much had to set up a society like this in the begginning.
The problem is not everyone would understand this. I can give you examples of my daily life where I could have done harm but chose not.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by booyakasha

Of course if something or someone causes harm to that person then that would be different. I don't see dieases as being a part of this way of life because people would not have the pollution, or eat the same foods.
This philosphy would be a whole lifestyle change I would think. Our food causes harm but why can't the people who make the food make the food healthy?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Your ideas have provoked a violent discussion in my home. Your post has caused me harm. You should go to jail.

Another example....

Person on street is starving, store owner won't give food to person on street. Store owner is causing that person to suffer by their inaction, ergo, the store owner should go to jail!

Another example....

Out of the kindness of my heart I give a homeless person $20, they turn around and buy drugs and jump off a bridge. I caused harm!

Point is: Where do you stop the definition of "do"? What I did, the store owner did, what you did, all caused harm.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

With that system, wouldn't eventually people that cause harm be sent to jail. People just have to view things the way the do-er does. With that system implied, there has to be a verbal, written, and virtual reason to backup your right do-ing. That way, a wrong do-er shall not complain and there shall be evidence of the do-er's view.
edit on 22-6-2011 by JJShinobi because: Extended last sentence

edit on 22-6-2011 by JJShinobi because: Spelling and grammer

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by JJShinobi

The problem is if we try to look this from our current society no it won't work. This is why I live by this rule myself and not force it upon others. It can't be taken to the extreme either because extremes are harmful. In my life I try to aviod extremes.
Believe me it is a different mind set than our current society that is why in order to see this you have to think of it as if you are an outsider looking.
If everyone lived this rule jail would not have to exist. If we define it so rigidly then it loses its meaning and therefore people need some else to think for them. In this philosphy people need to think for themselves.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

There is a difference here when you gave the homeless person $20 your intent was to do good not harm. The store owner sees someone suffering yet ignores that suffering that is causing harm.
At the end of the day we are all responisble for own actions. So if my intentions were good and I was helping someone then the person caused harm on themsleves.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I think that alot of the problem is that we are taught that we have the ability to hurt another. While that is happening we are also taught that we can be victims as well. So we have a 2 way role. One that hurts, and one that can hurt.

I thought about this a while back when a member had posted a link to videos concerning how we act, and how we are "engineered" to fear (topdocumentaryfilms.com...). When we are born we dont know how to kill, or steal, or lie. But we are taught too.

I have children, and I wanted them to know that we do have the ability to be victims, but also to be strong, and to know that when others do harm, that is their choice. That they and I cannot bear the problems/conflicts of others as our own.

If you get robbed, its not because you had money, but because someone else made a bad decision. If I took every bad thing personally then I would be glad to call myself victim. But I do not.

If we truly want to "do no harm", we would have to restart all of humanity.

Thanks for the thoughtful thread, S&F.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Thank you for such a thoughtful post I agree we are taught to harm. I will watch that documentary. I understand that it would be a huge evolution that needs to take place before this can be understood by all. It is sad that some of us are more thoughtful could not have around during the early days of shaping our society.
It is harder to unlearn something than to learn something.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Like the Age of Aquarius? Believe in mythology or not it's clearly happening all around the world. Especially with all the revolutions. Slowly people are waking up. The question is if we're going to be silenced with all might.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

You state a government causes harm by sitting idly by and watching people starve. I have to disagree. I'll admit they're not being a "Good Samaritan" by taking no action, however, they cause no direct harm, thus removing any immoral implications (no harm being done). If they were however, taking food from people, then yes, that would cause harm... I must apologize, I'm currently in a philosophy/ethics class and this is fresh in my mind.

On another note, it would be awesome if all of humanity would love their fellow man, but it appears there will always be a difference of opinion on all the important moral issues of the world. I think it's all just a matter of opinions, perspectives, and childhood indoctrination...we'll just have to agree to disagree for now.

edit on 22-6-2011 by Lurker_below because: changed "the government" to "a government"

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

dreamseeker i think you make a valid point that is rational and logical. "do no harm" not only to others, but to ones self as well. having been born in the land of milk & honey, all my life i've seen people doing things to themselves that would make them scream bloody murder if someone was forcing such behavior upon them.

my general practitioner MD recently commented to me in conversation that religions were formed to try and curb mankinds aggressive and destructive ways. his opinion is that we are descendants of warriors, that killing is very common amongst humans. he pointed out the commandment "thou shalt not kill" from The Bible. he felt it was ridiculous that such an obvious statement should even have to be made.

sorry to point again to The Bible but because of my upbringing it comes to mind. your "do not harm" is similar to the commandment 'Treat others as you would like them to treat you' or something like that. if we had such simple respect for self and others, what a kinder and more gentle world it would be.

this is why i hate seeing so many on the 'net rip on people of faith. i think a lot of religious teachings try to impart good values, morality and love for one another to people. i'm well aware that there are people who twist religion and use it for control and self-gain. and shame on them for doing so.

"do no harm" is a beautiful thought. IMHO some sayings should be on posters in public places to make people think a little. i hope you keep spreading your thoughts here and on other websites too. bless your heart.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Do no harm will not help during ambiguous cases.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Thats why people would have to use their critical thinking skills. In a society with only one rule of do no harm it would defeat the purpose to define everything so rigidly like we do now. Most people don't know all the laws on the books through out their whole life time. This would force people to think before they act.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker

If someone disobeyed this rule of do no harm too many times they would simply be banished from our society meaning forced to live on thier own without societys help.

Within societies, you are right. But between societies, nature dictates competition. The problem is that there are two very real rulesets, and you have to know when to do what, and humanity really hasnt fully elaborated those rulesets in a scientific way yet.

We understand them, as they apply to other animals and organisms, but human beings keep wanting to pretend that the rules that apply to other animals somehow dont apply to us, when in fact, they do.

But, as long as you specify that "do no harm" applies within the group, you are mostly right. Although in truth, it actually goes beyond that, and in fact, within the group, you are not only to do no harm, but to help your groupmates too, whenever you can. Its how YOUR group becomes better, tighter knit, and stronger than other groups...............................so you can kill them.

new topics

top topics

join