It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a criminal because im a.......

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by youthsavior

Hey OP.
I knew some guys back in the day before skate-parks became administered to the youth under the guise of what ever excuse was being peddled at the time;

They'd hitch a train down to Hollywood and skate in drained swimming pools on private properties which were not being lived-in at the time, or the owner was cool like that. Real-estate swimming pools movie stars.

The true Beverly Hillbillies! Just playing with words here, don't skate me bro.

I've always been a bmx guy myself. It's called free-style for a reason, damn it!

My fondest memories are of trailing the hall-ways of my school when the coast was clear.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by youthsavior
Are we criminals, because were expressing ourselves, having fun, staying out a trouble, being respectful and careful of pedestrians.

In Philly especially there's so much "actual" crime, and they have nothing better to do than bother us. Why?

Philadelphia City Law 10-610
City Of Philadelphia
Bill NO. 000147
(As Amended, 6/13/00)
Introduced March 16, 2000
Councilmembers Nutter, Reynolds-Brown, Goode, Cohen, Ortic, Kenney, DiCicco, Krajewski, Miller, Council President Verna, Councilmembers Marino, Clarke, Longstreth, Ricco and Tasco
Referred to the Committee on Public Property and Public Works
AN ORDINANCE

Amending Title 10 of The Philadelphia Code relating to "Regulation of Individual Conduct and Activity," by amending Section 10-610 entitled "Skateboarding on Public Property," by prohibiting skateboarding on all public property unless otherwise authorized, and by creating additional penalties, all under certain terms and conditions.

THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF PHILADELPHIA HEARBY ORDAINS:
SECTION 1: Section 10-610 of Title 10 of The Philadelphia Code is hereby amended to read as follows:
§10-610. Skateboarding On Public Property.
1. No Person shall use a skateboard in any of the following areas:
a. the area bounded by Arch Street, Fifteenth street, Broad street, and John F. Kennedy boulevard (the Municipal Services Building plaza and sidewalks)[.];
b. on public property unless use of a skateboard is authorized by regulation, ordinance or statue, or is otherwise authorized by the governmental agency, department or commission responsible for such property, "Public Property" does not include public roads, highways, bicycle and/or skateboard paths, or sidewalks abutting private property. "Public Property" also shall not include Recreation Department facilities, which facilities shall be subject to the rules and regulations of the Recreation Department; and
c. on portions of private property, including but not limited to outdoor plazas, that are dedicated to use by the general public, where the owner of such private property has posted a notice indicating that skateboarding is prohibited on the property.

2. The parent of any child under the age of eighteen (18) years who violates subsection 10-610(1) shall also be in violation of this Section.

3. Penalties.
a. The penalty for a violation of this Section shall be civil penalty of three hundred dollars ($300), provided that the total amount of civil penalties assessed against a child and his or her parents shall not exceed a total of three hundred dollars ($300) based upon each violation by the child.
b. An [alternative] additional penalty for a violation of §10-610(1) shall be forfeiture of any skateboard used in violation of this Section, unless it is proven to the Court by a preponderance of the evidence that the defendant does not own the skateboard and the owner did not or could not have reasonably known that the skateboard would be used violation of this Section. Further the total amount of any penalty assessed for each violation, taking into accounted the value of both the fine and forfeiture, shall not exceed three hundred dollar (#300).

4. Enforcement.
a. Whenever a police officer has probable cause to believe a skateboard was used or is being used in violation of §9-601(1), the officer may seize the skateboard.
b. Any person authorized to enforce ordinances may issue a ticket to any person in violation of this Section pursuant to the procedures set forth in §10-1606. Contested charges shall be resolved, fines shall be imposed, and payments shall be collected and processed by the Director of Finance and the Bureau of Administrative Adjudication, all pursuant to the procedures set forth in §§10-1604 through 10-1609. Notwithstanding the foregoing, any person to whom a ticked is issued may, within eight (8) days of receipt, pay twenty-five dollars ($25) in lieu of contesting the violation and in lieu of any other fines or penalties. The ticket shall contain an appropriate notice to the procedures for payment, as prescribed by the Director of Finance. Upon timely payment under this subsection, the Police Department shall make any skateboard seized under this Section available for return to the offender, pursuant to the procedures established by the Police Department.

The answer is yes, it’s a crime to skateboard in public areas in philly.

People can play sports all over the place hassle free, and we get hassled beyond belief.

Certain high-risk sports require their own private venues built and insured specifically for that particular activity. Would you also say its unfair that people cannot hunt, target shoot, practice archery, fly RC aircraft, launch model rockets, etc… anywhere they please?

the damage we do is little, and always fixable. Can't you just make us fix it or something?

Why do you feel you have the right to damage someone else property, even if just in a minor fashion? Damaging someone’s property is called criminal mischief, and is also a crime.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Dang kids!
Get a hair cut!
Get a job!

And stay off MY LAWN!
*shakes fist*

If they outlaw skate boards, then only outlaws will irritate people.
Or something like that.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

reply to post by kro32

That's a bit harsh, and I'm not arrogant. But thanks! It's about freedom my friend! Just trying to be free man!

This may have been said already, but when your freedom becomes a problem and imposes on someone else's freedom, then you are wrong.

Freedom doesn't mean doing what you want to do, when you want to do it. With freedom comes responsibility, consideration for other peoples 'freedom'.

One of the reasons we get so many laws in the first place is because people just do what they want without considering others, so when the 'others' complain a law is passed.

I see groups of skateboarders where I live and they pretty much take places over, denying its use to other people. You chose to be a skateboarder, no one is obliged to accommodate you.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Do you, or your parents, own the property that you are skateboarding? Is the property that you are skateboarding on designated as a "skate park"? If not, does the owner of the property mind if you are skating there?

If any of the answers to the above questions are "no", then you're trespassing and are performing a criminal act. Hope that clears it up for you.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

Absolutely! I'm sure you all the saw the video of the security guard pushing the skater of his board?

I think they may have taken it down because they knew how bad it looked, but if no one believes me, go to youtube and type in, Skateboarder gets (pushed, knocked, yelled, etc.)there are plenty of videos of us being treated like crap.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ayjay

Were allowed to skate down the road, but thats not the problem, it's about being skateboarders and trying to do tricks and have fun skating new obstacles. Not to mention. Half the places don't even have signs.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

First of all, half the places listed in that link are spots, not skateparks, spots, where it's illegal to skate. Two, there are not enough skateparks that everyone can just skate down the street to get there. We need some mode of transportation and if we don't have it were outa luck.

Also, you see perfect skateparks all over california. Every city, town, etc. And there's lots of em. Enough that it's not a problem for skaters out there. On the east coast though. There few and far between. There crappy, and not in the best neighborhoods. There working on building us more. But it's barely going anywhere!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Becoming

First of all, half the places listed in that link are spots, not skateparks, spots, where it's illegal to skate. Two, there are not enough skateparks that everyone can just skate down the street to get there. We need some mode of transportation and if we don't have it were outa luck.

Also, you see perfect skateparks all over california. Every city, town, etc. And there's lots of em. Enough that it's not a problem for skaters out there. On the east coast though. There few and far between. There crappy, and not in the best neighborhoods. There working on building us more. But it's barely going anywhere!

It's no ones responsibility to provide you with places to skate. Also you'll find most of those skate parks were built by skaters, or because skaters did something about it. What are you doing, complaining because no one has built places for you to skate? Complaining because you have no transport to get to skate spots? It becomes someone else's problem because you can't practice your tricks?

I would have some sympathy for you if you were doing something that benefited people other than yourself, like if you were getting arrested for feeding the homeless or something. Skaters can be a nuance if allowed to just skate wherever they want, you effect other peoples rights to not have to share side walks etc., with anything but other pedestrians. It's illegal for bicycles (at all times 13 and older) and skateboards (only allowed on residential sidewalks between dawn and dusk where I live on the west coast) to be on the sidewalk for a reason.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Well, unless the authorities watched every area that was damaged and logged who did it, anyone could have done damage to it.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

you know that's bs, and your not fooling any one. quit tiring to spin it so that skaters aren't the major cause the of damage.i'm sure free style bmxers do some damage to.
and the article didn't say it was all skaters.

Wait, there's more. Enough in fact for a total of $895,400 worth of damage to city property largely because of skateboarding.

see the last eight words of quote damage to city property largely because of skateboarding.

i use to skate and know what kinda sh## happens.

time to fess up and quit whining.

edit on 23-6-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join