It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pulitzer-winning journalist admits he's illegal immigrant

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Well that's just great!

Now even respectable looking Latinos are suspect.

Let me tell you something. There is no dissapointment greater than being falsely accused. And I fear this is the paradigm that is clearly forming. I happen to be an American, both my parents were born in Puerto Rico, THEY are citizens by birth too. I "look" Latino. Looking Latino means, I am the reason a policemen pause to consider the possibility of my presumptive guilt. I am the cause certain people have for suddenly lapsing in their conversation, because at my side is my tall and white wife. I am the reason everytime we seek a realtor, the first houses they show me are in the worst part of town.

Should I offer an apology? Should I wear a flag? Or is it acceptable to 'present' my birth certificate in the presence of officials, or when I apply for a job? Ever get the "once over" walking into a store, and be asked to open your bag and show a receipt unfailingly as you leave? That's not a nice experience, or expectation with which to venture out into the community. Add to that the generally unending occurences, it can truly make for a souring on humanity.

Most of you, it seems, think that's a fair price to pay. I pray you never now how unfair it really is.

Now switch gears and brace yourselves for whiplash.

He should have been arrested upon leaving the building.

This man should be in custody right now. (Unless he was already released on his own recognisance.)

He has publicly confessed to the commission (and ongoing commission) of a crime.

There is no doubt that his activity, his choice, to live here illegally was with full premediation, and very likely a clear understanding of the consequences. It is possible, and probable that he is liable for some degree or other of fraud beyond the immigration violation.

But the application of law is not my domain. And I won't presume that he hasn't got legal defense already poised to represent him. I find the idea of his deportation to be unlikely. He has a network to support him, assuming the don't fly right wing, in which case he would be villanized (Just like anyone who creates liability for a network.)

It appears more likely, that despite the offense, even if he were deported, the network could expedite a working visa for him in no time flat! They could posture "heroic" hoping to evoke emotional currency in the Hispanic community (not a small size either eh? - I know some worry about that.)

Beleve me, I know and wish on noone, the sense of dissapointment in a community so preoccupied with enforcement of laws that need revisiting. Illegal immigration is, as it should be, a criminal offense; however - cookie cutter application of the law renders us into the worst sort of automata.

There ARE people who FLEE to this country, desperate people; their crime is incidental to their circumstance. We have to trust our system to be humane. If we can't, it must be reformed so we can. This isn't about race, it's about the health of our republic.

Don't bother making this guy out to be a victim. His experience will be converted into a media windfall - let no crisis go unexploited. He is a professional journalist, a product of our society, he must certainly be capable of writing up his "Inside the system" masterpiece, if he hasn't started it already.

The crisis, OUR crisis, is that we have no effective means to deal with this situation without the certainty that it will engender exactly the kind of brutality we have seen with "other" people's, as many might recall. It is an inevitability, when human dignity is disregarded.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

What's a reasonable solution..? Isn't that what should be going on here?

We have a FED gov't who is tasked with the responsibility to uphold and enforce the law of the land..

OK, it's beyond obvious that it has been lax since the current laws were made during the Reagan administration..

What I propose may be simplistic, since I am a hillbilly

First.. secure the borders..

Second.. pass new legislation that gives amnesty.. to the illegals within the country now, that amnesty is only to allow the illegals to come forward and start the process to become legal, I would exclude any illegals who have been CONVICTED of a felony.. Give everyone a period of say 120 days to come forward and get their forms filed etc.. to achieve a green card, with the opportunity to achieve citizenship down the road through the proper channels..

Third.. once the 120 amnesty period is over, it's over... those who are still here illegally, would have no recourse and be deported in haste to wherever they came..

Fourth.. the FEDERAL government does it's job and enforces the law of the land. like it used to..

This whole situation falls at the feet of them IMO... not on those who saw this intentional lapse in enforcement to come to this country..

Am I presenting a reasonable solution here? if not, what can be tweaked to make it so?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I am all for border patrol, but I have to wonder if you guys screaming about how he should be arrested and deported for "breaking the law" might not put a little too much starch in your underwear.

How about instead we allow this to spur a dialogue so that we can at least get something done? The "arrest and deport" crowd is unreal. No wonder we have the highest prison population in the world (both per capita, and real numbers). How is America supposed to be the "land of the free" when its citizens are so eager to take away peoples freedoms?

We absolutely need to enforce our borders. But until we enforce our borders, I am 100% against deporting people. It is inefficient, and a waste of taxpayer dollars to keep arresting and deporting them when we have a joke of a border.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Millions of citizens have been displaced in the workforce by illegal immigrants. Enforce already existing laws and come down on employers who hire them.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I have been seeing people post their "to do" lists for a while now. While all kinds of lists get posted the truth is that no matter what anybody proposes it will not get done. Illegals are cheap labor and are wanted in the US by businesses. The same propositions have been made for decades with next to nothing getting done.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Sad but true... the current laws, also had some amnesty included, and that was supposed to end it..

Now less than 30 years on, we are back in the same place, but on a much larger scale..

When you look on it realistically, why have the laws to begin with?

Especially when those who create the law have no desire to enforce them..

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
reply to post by daskakik

When you look on it realistically, why have the laws to begin with?

Especially when those who create the law have no desire to enforce them..

Because it makes people feel like things are being done. Like they have spoken and have made themselves heard. It keeps them believing that the government is of the people, by the people, for the people.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I'm happy this guy found his calling in life. The problem I see is this...

Lets say he gets a pass, because of the wonderful work he's put forth, and all of the possitive things that could come out of it. What's to say that others who are in the same situation, including those without jobs that are also illegal, will not want the same free pass? He's an example either way. If he gets deported, he is an example that the law is the law, no matter what you have done to prove yourself.. There are still channels to go through, hoops that many are not and can not get around. On the flip side, he's could be an example for the sake of all the people in this country that want to be and remain here that are looking forward to that same free pass.

I dont see this as a crime per say, but I do see it as taking advantages that "We The People" do not have. Sure, it goes on in this country in many ways, the rich, the powerful, ect, but that doesnt make it right. He should be deported and come back through the proper channels, the same way many millions of immigrants are doing today.

I dont understand people that say "If they dont do the jobs, no one else will". Sure they will. Either the persons needing the workers raise the wadges or try their hand at something diffrent.. Such is the way of competative business. I am all about people of many races and creeds living in America, so long as they do it the right way. Even had I not been born in this country, I do feel that I would at least follow the rules and steps it takes to get here should that be my desire. Now, I only contemplate finding a more free land, but alas... I see none in sight.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhantomLimb

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Originally posted by aayon35
reply to post by JacKatMtn

My parents came into the US from Mexico with green cards but stayed after the time expired. They always paid for taxes and even bought a home recently.When I was born they received their papers.
They should have been deported, and you(as the anchor baby) should not have been given citizenship.

Well, he was born here so he's an American citizen. Racist much?
His parents were here ILLEGALLY when he was born. Can you comprehend that word? It is my contention that since he gained his citizenship as the result of a crime, he received an unlawful, and certainly unwarranted benefit. The "anchor baby" law needs to be changed. Stop playing the race card, and use real arguments. His parents broke our laws, as a result he gained citizenship. He was rewarded for his parents breaking our laws. Had his parents broken into your home, stole everything you owned, and gave it to him, would you want him to be able to keep it all?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by aureusleo8
An undocumented immigrant such as him should not under any circumstances be deported--
he is a valuable citizen who has learned (very well too might I add) English, and contributes to American society...unlike most people who are actually born in this country. Sure he violated the law, but the law is very erroneous in this case, it makes very little sense to give up a contributor just because they were not born in this country. The immigration laws desperately needs to be made more elaborate, coherent and applicable to reality.
Ok, so according to your theory can we deport non-producers? even if they are citizens? Because I would be ok with that.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
reply to post by Maxmars

What's a reasonable solution..? Isn't that what should be going on here?

We have a FED gov't who is tasked with the responsibility to uphold and enforce the law of the land..

OK, it's beyond obvious that it has been lax since the current laws were made during the Reagan administration..

What I propose may be simplistic, since I am a hillbilly

First.. secure the borders..
Agreed. First stop the influx of new illiegals.

Second.. pass new legislation that gives amnesty.. to the illegals within the country now, that amnesty is only to allow the illegals to come forward and start the process to become legal, I would exclude any illegals who have been CONVICTED of a felony.. Give everyone a period of say 120 days to come forward and get their forms filed etc.. to achieve a green card, with the opportunity to achieve citizenship down the road through the proper channels..
No!!!! We tried this already back in the 1980s. Look where it got us. HELL NO! Send them all back, seize any and all assets to fund their repatriation. NEVER allow those here now a chance to gain citizenship ever.

Third.. once the 120 amnesty period is over, it's over... those who are still here illegally, would have no recourse and be deported in haste to wherever they came..

Fourth.. the FEDERAL government does it's job and enforces the law of the land. like it used to..

This whole situation falls at the feet of them IMO... not on those who saw this intentional lapse in enforcement to come to this country..

Am I presenting a reasonable solution here? if not, what can be tweaked to make it so?
No. It was tried, it failed. Now illegals expect we will do it again. No. Round them up, send them home. Give them 90 days to self repatriate at their own expense. If they do this, then they can apply normally and follow legal procedures to return. If we have to find them ourselves, we seize every single asset. We revoke the citizenship of the anchor babies, and they CAN NEVER RETURN.
We also need to go after the businesses that hire them with punitive, I mean draconian fines that would effectively confiscate much of the wealth and assets of that business. They would also have the 90 days to divest themselves of all illegals with no repercussions until the 90 day period is up. Then WHAM! Full hammer.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
His parents were here ILLEGALLY when he was born. Can you comprehend that word? It is my contention that since he gained his citizenship as the result of a crime, he received an unlawful, and certainly unwarranted benefit. The "anchor baby" law needs to be changed. Stop playing the race card, and use real arguments. His parents broke our laws, as a result he gained citizenship. He was rewarded for his parents breaking our laws. Had his parents broken into your home, stole everything you owned, and gave it to him, would you want him to be able to keep it all?

The laws are what they are. Whether they need to be changed is a matter of opinion. The law as it stands says anyone born in the US is a citizen. Until it is actually changed your argument is as valid as the race card being tossed around.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join