It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are so close to decoding the Zodiac Killer's last message. Now we need your help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I just read this reddit page.. I'm not sure if it's real but I know ATS has some of the brightest minds on the internet...and I don't have a lot of hope for reddit to solve this thing. So here is the text the guy posted.

To date, I have gathered up about 40 GHz worth of computing horsepower working around the clock in an attempt to brute-force crack Z340Q3 (Zodiac 340, Quadrant 3). Grand total, i've generated about 14 billion keys so far, and perhaps predictably so, I have not yeilded anything solid.. A few provocative misses, but nothing above instances of 3 four-letter words.. something which could be chalked up to "monkeys at typewriters generating Shakespeare" sort of stuff.

(For the curious, read below. A few days ago, one match came back with "wait bus bomb", which seemed tantalizing since the Zodiac killer referred repeatedly to blowing up schoolbuses full of kids... However, the match proved to be just a randomly generated fluke.)

Anyway, I had a novel idea while working on the latest incarnation of code.. Why not give it away on Reddit, and see what happens?

So, here it is:

wget ltbcomputers.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I thought it was generally assumed that this message from the Zodiac was just gibberish and simply a game he was playing. Surely if it were an actual message it would have been cracked by now given the decades that have gone by, the brilliant people who have tried deciphering it, and the advances in computing we've made.

I'm not saying that it is 100% without-a-doubt b.s., but I think it is far more likely than not that this particular message is meaningless.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasputin13

Sadly I trust read that. That doesn't mean that we can't try though.

Of course it's gibberish. The previous code was cracked in less than 24 hours, and according to FBI profilers this pissed him off quite a bit. The natural thing for someone with a need to be superior would be to make something uncrackable... so either it's gibberish or it's based on something that only he could possibly crack (eg each symbol and it's x-y coordinates corresponds to a character, page, and line from a book that only he knows of) and thus might as well be gibberish. An interesting thought though is if this code gave him enough fame/entertainment in an area besides murder so that he stopped killing.

Edit: Actually please give this a shot ATS. It seems doable. Reddit is actually having some luck decoding it.

Laughingstok 67 points 1 hour ago

Hey guys, I responded to the author but no response yet. I got a hit. But a little background. I edited the script to include the zodiacAlphabet into the regular alphabet and also added slices of the original encryption (5 characters long each) as words to look for as hits.

I received the following hit.. please help me understand.. did I just find 3 instances of 3 slices of its own "encryption?"

Processing: Pass #1136403 [ha>MznYtzynSczaGHGaxGMSUMSxYy>ccHeYYMHHc>OSGnMSicGXGaxT9t1qzYGT>zhtaUHhxMtSoxYMc]

MATCH FOUND: yBulhSE7hkSeX3BF4FBVq7FsleVnk4XXxLn]C4dXubebSIeTXFfVBLxa73:hKqxuSy7BiduVC7FfLE7X (Count: 3, X3BF4 3BF4F BF4FB ), cycle 1136408

a equals (L) b equals (#_) c equals () d equals (-) e equals (]G)
f equals (:A) g equals () h equals (T) i equals (])
j equals () k equals (2) l equals (1) m equals ()
n equals (V) o equals () p equals () q equals (6)
r equals () s equals (R) t equals () u equals (C9)
v equals () w equals () x equals (;E) y equals (Y)
z equals () = equals () > equals (I) _ equals ()
- equals () ; equals () : equals (H) ' equals ()
] equals () [ equals () ] equals (U) & equals ()
# equals () % equals () 1 equals () 2 equals ()
3 equals (S3) 4 equals (4=) 5 equals () 6 equals ()
7 equals (7O) 8 equals (F) 9 equals () A equals ()
B equals (B) C equals (Z) E equals (K) F equals (8)
G equals () H equals () I equals (%) K equals (')
L equals (>) M equals () O equals () R equals ()
S equals (M[) T equals (&) U equals () V equals (W5)
W equals () X equals (X) Y equals () Z equals ()

edit on 6/22/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/22/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Maybe it was just a personal message he left and thought others would waste their time trying to crack.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I'm just curious as to the practical outcome of effort spent on this...

Were there some unsolved mysteries or warning of future events he ever hinted at? It just seems like this is more for curiosity than anything, and I can probably do without zodiac's thoughts. Is there something deeper here?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

The main guy said that earlier he thought he was on to something and saw the phrase "Bus" and "Bomb" it could have been nothing but it does seem like something that he would do.

I mean at this point the Zodiac Killer is probably dead or long gone. But It's still interesting to see if he had any possible future plans. Or maybe the decoded thing will be a message explaining who he was and ect. I am fascinated by the story. I only wish they had caught the guy.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
If you are going to spend the time & effort deciphering something, do it on something like the CIA Kryptos statue or something.

People are still trying to decipher it two decades after the fact.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Great find OP, I'm fascinated by this as well. I don't think anything will come of it, but you really never know. With the advances in technology maybe we will get the code cracked and learn some new thinds.

From a practicality standpoint I do think deciphering is important. It helps forensic psychologists paint a better picture with every insight they get into the guys mind, which may one day end up helping to solve a crime/ save a life. Also it's sort of like the 'because it was there' qoute.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Ive never heard of that quote. Care to share?

reply to post by stupid girl

Ive never heard of that. PM me.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Ah, thanks. Strike what I said, I crossed my killers and thought Zodiac was long since dead or captured.

With that not being the case, this makes more sense. Apologies for my confusion.

top topics

join