It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Looks Like Republicans are Trying to Hold Onto Ron Paul's Coattails Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Just came across THIS ARTICLE.

Although minimized by his own party for ages, it looks like republicans are scrambling to capture Ron's popularity and capitalize on the support his issues are receiving:

Now Newt Gingrich and Tim Pawlenty are parroting Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) in criticizing the Federal Reserve Board while Mitt Romney and a growing number of congressional Republicans are beginning to sound like traces of Ron Paul regarding Afghanistan.

This reminds me of the hijacking of the tea party movement by the GOP after seeing just how much attention and support it was receiving.

Not to mention that recent story about some republican candidate newcomer (forget the name but it's pretty recent) who is being claimed as the only republican candidate against the wars (when that is NOT true and has been one of Paul's major points).

The frustrating thing is, Paul truly believes what he is fighting for while the copy cats just want the votes and don't care about those principles and issues.

Here are some links I found for support:

In a very telling move, Newt Gingrich has apparently decided that he stands a much better chance of winning the GOP nomination for 2012 if he acts like Congressman Ron Paul.

Gingrich, due to address the Atlanta Press Club today, will tell the audience that he believes the Fed should be stripped of its banking powers so that it is focused entirely on protecting the value of the dollar.

Newt Gingrich’s Campaign Strategy: Become Ron Paul

Here is an article that lists several 'copy cats' of Ron Paul. It even goes so far to say that at one time, Paul was somewhat of a loner in terms of his economic policies but now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon:

Flirtation with deeply unorthodox economic policy is usually confined to the libertarian fringes of the Republican presidential fields (read: Ron Paul), but has increasingly bled into the mainstream.

www.politico.com...

Not that Ron Paul holds the patent on these ideas or that he was the first. I understand that. But it's the case of him facing a lot of shunning and ridicule from his party- yet now they're all trying to get a piece of the pie now that they see the people feel Paul's policies actually make sense.

Nothing too surprising but I found it to be a cool story and wanted to share.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Typical.

Even Hilary will start calling when he gains more popularity, and when it looks like he might win, she will pledge her support.

All sellouts to the popular vote.

If Ron even thinks about Hilary and Condoleezza, he'll lose a lot of support from those that matter...the American Citizens.

You can't put the Constitution in the same room with Hilary and Condoleezza.

Be careful Ron...very careful. Don't screw it up now.

edit on 22-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
No question. Prior to Ron Paul, which politician was talking about civil liberties, the Constitution, sound money, the "Federal Reserve" or our global military empire? Let me think...NO ONE.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The problem that the other GOP presidential contenders are going to run into is their actual track record on the issues. They can parrot Ron Paul all they like, but when the gloves come off as the time ticks closer for choosing a nominee it will quickly be discovered that only Ron Paul has been consistent with both his message and actions all along.

Much like a wolf in sheep's clothing, the wannabes will be spotted a mile away.

...and Gingrich, pah, the man is grasping at straws as it is.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
So irritating.... Reminds me of Bush in 2000. Anyone remember this?

What changed? It's amazing to me people forget so fast, what made him do the exact opposite of what he specificly talked about? I know that, unfortunately, the American's will be dupped again if they choose repulican (unless it's Ron Paul of course) although we all know Obama's probably going to win again anyway.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I don't think Gingrich is much evidence that the GOP as a whole is moving toward Paul's positions. Gingrich's campaign is in tatters. All his advisors, some of them long-time, have left. He just lost his financial people. He's in debt, having run up huge travel bills. If he's talking the Ron Paul talk, he is certainly not walking the Ron Paul walk. I think Gingrich is toast myself.

Now if you can make the same case for Pawlenty, then you might have something.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Ging is just one of many. The article of the OP uses Pawlenty as an example, too. There are several others mentioned by name in one of the articles I cited in the OP, too.

Here is a specific link I found for you that talks about it, besides the link in the OP.

Pawlenty Jumps on the Anti-Fed Bandwagon.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

The frustrating thing is, Paul truly believes what he is fighting for while the copy cats just want the votes and don't care about those principles and issues.

I certainly do believe that Ron Paul means what he say's and say's what he means. Ron Paul resonates with so many people because he is speaking the truth, and people do not need to be Harvard graduates in order to recognize truth when they are confronted with it.

I often hear people lament that if the "leaders would only lead, the people will surely follow", however it is self evident that when the people lead, "leaders" will surely follow. The strong showing of Paul in the polls indicates that the people are leading, and the so called "leaders" are now following that lead.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Artanis667

My god.... what happened to Bush?

He actually seemed intelligent and well spoken in those clips. After he became president, he turned into a blundering idiot. Was he speaking from his heart back then, and once president starting talking from a script? Or is it the other way around?

He did a total 180 on his policy... but I guess sadly that's not too surprising for president to do.

It really makes me wonder.... people talk often about how when someone becomes president, they are shown some truth, or receive some threat from some organization about how the president WILL play by their rules, or else. I am starting to seriously consider if this is true..

There was someone, I totally who forgot who it was I think a comedian though, but they were talking about some hypothetical situation, where once you become president they sit you down in a room, show you a video of JFK being assassinated from a never before seen angle, and say "do you have any other questions?" and from then on, the new president plays ball and obeys their new master.

That just kind of stuck with me. The complete and total 180 that not only Bush, but Obama did is just striking. While it's very possible they are just lying, greedy politicians, I can't help but wonder if there is something more to it than that.

Anyway,

It does appear Ron Paul's popularity is trying to be taken by others. The man is intelligent, and makes more sense than any other presidential candidate before him put together does.

They tried to smear him, and probably will continue doing so, but if they find out they can't get people to scoff at his message, the next option is to flood all the potential candidates with the same message, so that Paul gets lost and mixed in with the rest. I really hope that doesn't happen, I support Ron Paul 100% and will do anything to get him to be president.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Gingrich is a distraction. He has no shot at the nomination, or the election. I can't understand why he is getting any attention, because I can't personally think of one single person that has ever told me they would vote for him under any circumstance.

I wonder what the end game is? Why are they parading Gingrich around, what are we missing?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Gingrich is a distraction. He has no shot at the nomination, or the election. I can't understand why he is getting any attention, because I can't personally think of one single person that has ever told me they would vote for him under any circumstance.

I wonder what the end game is? Why are they parading Gingrich around, what are we missing?

Because anyone even loosely affiliated with the GOP understands the game plan at this point is to NOT win. Which leaves a lot of vacancies in the spotlight for people who are selling books, TV shows, etc. Hence; Trump, Bachman, Palin, Gingrich and all sorts of other celebrity apprentices.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Whether or not other GOP candidates are trying to copy Ron Paul's positions (which I doubt) or whether Paul scores top marks in strawpolls, is irrelevant to all of this. The only thing relevant should be that of convincing the voters, and frankly the majority of self proclaimed conservatives have appeared to be very reluctant in voting Paul in. I'm sure most voters are aware of Paul, all those efforts to get him top in those various polls and his numerous appearances at debates should have gained him sufficient exposure. Think Paulers should be asking themselves why the vast majority of GOP voters continue to vote for other candidates, what is it with Paul? I don't believe the excuse that it's the media or propaganda that's keeping him down. People have access to independent media, the question should be why? Is he too extreme even for conservative voters?

Straight to the OP, war is unpopular and has been so for some time now, so obviously GOP candidates are going to follow the rhetoric against it, regardless of whether Ron Paul supports it or not. I don't think the federal reserve has been popular with Republicans in general either so I doubt they're following Ron Pauls path, well atleast specifically:
capitalgainsandgames.com...

It's a different time now than it was in 2001 so it calls for a different attitude, the GOP has responded likewise.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join