It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Ronald Reagan endorsed Ron Paul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Few people know what you are about to learn and unfortunately until today I was one of those people left in the dark on the subject. This endorsement came from the Republican all GOP Presidential hopefuls would pay an arm and a leg to get. In 1976 Ron Paul led the Texas delegation in favor of Ronald Reagan for the GOP nomination, Reagan did not forget what Paul had done for him so in turn during Paul’s tough attempt at re-entering Congress in the 1978 elections where he was attacked as weak for his foreign policy stance of isolationism by his fellow Republicans, Reagan gave a glowing endorsement of Ron Paul.

Who is the other fortunate endorsee? Ron Paul. While reporting this Paul profile last year, I paid a visit to his media consultant, Mark Elam, who gave me a tour of his political memorabilia. The collection included a vintage early '80s videotaped commercial ("The Ron Paul Story") that featured a glowing endorsement from Reagan. As Elam explained, Paul had been locked in a tough primary battle and his isolationist foreign policy had come under attack from Republican rivals trying to paint him as weak. Paul had been an early Reagan supporter and led the Texas delegation for Reagan at the 1976 Republican convention. So when he needed some help, Reagan was happy to reciprocate. As I describe in the piece, videotapes of the subsequent ad were sent to every Republican in Paul's district and featured this endorsement from The Gipper:

Ron Paul is one of the outstanding leaders fighting for a stronger national defense. As a former Air Force officer, he knows well the needs of our armed forces, and he always puts them first. We need to keep him fighting for our country.

Link

Skip forward to the 7:00 mark it begins just after that.

I wonder if any of the other GOP Presidential candidates who claim they are so much like Ronald Reagan can say they had such a powerful endorsement by the Gipper himself? Oh right they can’t.
edit on 6/22/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Ron Paul, IMO, defines what a true American is. I had no idea that Reagan gave such a nod for him, that's a true gem to have during the GOP battle. Considering how the GOP base swells around the mention of someone "Reaganesque", this would be a real feather in the cap of anyone running for that ticket. Obviously, Dr. Paul is only running GOP as to not divide the base and guarantee Obama a victory.

I watched him on an interview this morning (possibly Fox) and he SLAYED the questions asked of him by people. I have always been a fan of his, but after hearing his answers to the questions he was asked, there is no doubt in my mind that he should lead this country out of the darkness...

Great find OP!

S&F

~Namaste

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Many people, myself included, that he would lead us back into the darkness.

And those reagan props were given before some of the missteps Paul has taken, not so sure if they would be as readily given out today.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Except, Reagan's endorsement was on Paul's national defense stance. I think Ron Paul's position has somewhat changed, don't you think?
edit on 22-6-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It's hard enough finding one single politician willing to discuss the Military Industrial Complex - let alone bring up valuable points as to why it needs to be changed, and what needs to change about it. Paul does both.

Definitely convincing in his words. There's gotta be at least one person on this planet with that kind of character, and I'd say it's Ron Paul. However, I'm a bit jaded as to what a President is capable of as far as stopping this juggernaut of war.

The people in power are not just masters at chess, they invented the game. To think they, a large group of people willing to make any sacrifice for power, are going to let their Agenda be cut at the ankles by the likes of one old man by the name of "Ron Paul" is a mighty stretch.

But after all, the Americans did miraculously claim independence from the UK way back when.
Oh wait though, I wonder where they got their funding - probably not the group who invented checkers.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
This just goes to show all those out there that believe Ron Paul is just like all the other politicians that he is NOT.
Just watching this video you can see the consistancy with his views.
Hes been saying the same stuff over and over and over X1000, and yet people keep turning a blind eye because they would rather vote for someone who has better hair than someone who knows how to run a country.

All politicians are frightened of the man because he represents what they should be representing, but dont because it doesnt make their wallets fat.

I can honestly say that I believe this is the only man for the job. The rest of them are just empty suits with empty words and empty promises.

Ron Paul FTW

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
for those who have forgotten reagan never started out as a republican.

took the guy 3 times before he became potus.

im a right winger who also endorses ron paul because the status quo aint working out so well.

we need someone like paul to turn the tides of insanity and return to common sense.

if you like what you have right now dont vote for the dude and keep putting the same morons back in power.

if you want to get off the exit of the stupidity highway vote paul.

of course that choice is yours to make.

i have made mine.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by Misoir

Except, Reagan's endorsement was on Paul's national defense stance. I think Ron Paul's position has somewhat changed, don't you think?
edit on 22-6-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

I don't think his philosophy has changed, but the situation has changed. Back then we were involved in a "cold war." Now we are involved in at least 3 active engagements, and it is looking like #4 and #5 are heating up quickly, while the economic warfare is at an unprecedented level!

Of course his stance has had to change to reflect the current needs compared to the needs 30 years ago. What hasn't changed is his integrity and motivation. He is a true patriot, and honest man, and a leader that is willing to tell the hard truth, even if it is not the most popular sentiment.

"Hard Truth" reminds me of a Harry Truman quote, "We don't give them hell, we just tell the truth, and they think it is hell."

Anyone that wants to steal the banner / / / have at it! I would like to see a Ron Paul banner on every account, LOL!
edit on 22-6-2011 by getreadyalready because: replaced "Teddy Roosevelt" with Harry Truman for quote source.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
"Hard Truth" reminds me of a Teddy Roosevelt quote, "We don't give them hell, we just tell the truth, and they think it is hell."

That was actually President Harry Truman.

Link

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Just FYI Ron Paul is not an isolationist, he is a non-interventionist who believes in free trade, big difference.

thehill.com...

www.lewrockwell.com...

edit on 22-6-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Originally posted by getreadyalready
"Hard Truth" reminds me of a Teddy Roosevelt quote, "We don't give them hell, we just tell the truth, and they think it is hell."

That was actually President Harry Truman.

Link

AHHH! Thanks and you are right! I always get those two mixed up, and it isn't just that quote, it is a lot of things. Some kind of mental block for me. Thanks for the correction!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Reagan was the man.Bush was.....the "Spook" the rest afterward are embarrassing.I do not think Ron Paul wouldn't be caught in a sexually embarrassing scandal. That means his other brain works better than say... Clinton's.We know to which organs his blood was pumping ,but we still can't tell if his wife has any.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
For over 30 years Dr. Paul has been nothing less than consistent on his stance of freedom, liberty, and prosperity for every American. Like him or hate him, those facts are inarguable.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
You're all dreaming if you think that your voting has any effect on anything.

We've got to hit them in the wallet. Stop buying stuff and paying taxes.

top topics

join