It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two United States nuclear power plants are on alert!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Hurricane andrew was a cat 5.

en.wikipedia.org...

Data collected at the Turkey Point Nuclear Generating Station terminated at 5:05 EDT before winds reached maximum strength. The anemometer recorded sustained winds of 145 miles per hour (233 km/h) before it failed, and a barometric pressure of 922 mb was recorded. Gusts exceeding 175 mph (280 km/h) were also observed. The data from Turkey Point reflects shoreline measurements (not inland), as it is situated directly on the coastline

and here is damage done to turkey point.

The Turkey Point Nuclear Generating Station was hit directly by Andrew. Over $90 million of damage was done, largely to a water tank and to a smokestack of one of the fossil-fueled units on-site, but the containment buildings were undamaged. The nuclear plant was built to withstand winds of up to 235 miles per hour (378 km/h).

edit on 22-6-2011 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

No man-made structure can withstand a tsunami, that is a fact. This is like saying skyscrapers aren't safe because of what happened on 9/11.

I don't think that statement is all together accurate. While there were lots of structures that were destroyed in the Tsunami in Japan, there were also structures that did in fact withstand it. There are several videos of structures that remained intact while homes and cars were swept past them. People found shelter on the roofs of parking garages and on bridges while the flood waters swept past them.

From what I read it seems that the one of the biggest problems was the fact that the Japanese reactors only had 1 back up diesel generator per reactor, this was according to the existing guidelines set by NISA. They have just recently been changed to 2 back up generators per reactor.

From my understanding, The Japanese did not have any secondary generators on site and had to scramble to get more generators on site after the Sh*t already hit the fan. Please correct me if this is inaccurate, but I have seen this reported on several news sites.

I don't think that the minor flood in Nebraska is going to be a problem in itself, but it seems clear to me that it is simply not possible to cover all the basis and eliminate all the dangers.
People should be alert to what is happening and not put too much trust in the officials whose job it is top keep everybody calm.

edit on 6/22/2011 by Sparky63 because: punctuation

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

So it was .. thanks!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
That's what the Japanese government and TEPCO said.

The crisis at Fukushima was not as bad as media hype made it out to be either, and this is much much less severe. The two nuclear power plants in question are not having any kind of emergency, they've been put on alert due to flooding and they were prepared for this and have the situation under control.

ATS used to have a whole slew of nay-sayers on the first Japan threads. There mostly all banned now...thank God!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Before they were on alert, didn't this post state 3/4th of Nuclear Facilities leaking small amounts of radioactive waste to the air, it was controlled though.. Still an event related to this, no matter the hype. Might be a connection, or not. Too early to conspiracize.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Now it will be very interesting to see what the public's response is to this newest threat. Any takers that there will be very little public concern or outcry? Maybe it's a function of the lack of coverage.

Or maybe it's because this isn't an issue at all and is being over-hyped by the media. Even your source said that they had it under control and were prepared for this.

NRC warned Fort Callhoun they weren't prepared for a flood... or is that what you call prepared?

en.wikipedia.org...

A flood assessment performed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission in 2010 indicated that the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Generating Station, "did not have adequate procedures to protect the intake structure and auxiliary building against external flooding events."[7] The assessment also indicated that the facility was not adequately prepared for a "worst-case" flooding scenario. A number of potential flood water penetration points were discovered that could have impacted the raw feed water supply to the cooling system, the axilliary water supply and main switchgear (electrical) room. By early 2011, corrective measures had been implemented.

Now perhaps these corrective measures were implemented... or maybe not. Given that the NRC is getting it's teeth pulled by a nuke industry funded congress I'd say any 'corrective measures' might have consisted of some duct tape and blue ticky-tac. This will at least test whether or not these were sufficient measures -- and the risk? Well why not throw the dice with Omaha, population of 408,958, just 18 miles from the plant. After all this can only happen once every 500 years right?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Outstanding post. Thanks for the find.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

That's what the Japanese government and TEPCO said.

The crisis at Fukushima was not as bad as media hype made it out to be either.

You have to be joking!!!

Fukushima is way way worse than the media made it out be, and will get worse ...mate do you even read anything on ats?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Im sorry to say this but please by all means, look around and take the blinders off. Europe will indeed be obliterated if that huge Volcano blows...its quaking there and everywhere. Volcano's around the globe are spewing and more are on alert. We have no idea whats going on in the ocean with the residents (dying off in thousands) not to mention the volcano's that are spewing underneath as well.

Nuke positions and the planning of are in revision since the Japan quake. They are sensoring like crazy the information that comes out of there. The Us may close if not one or two but all of them. They try to keep things from us so there is not mass panic. People in general do not care and if they do, they are scared to talk about it as it may just be a fact and come true.

Look around. Everything that can happen is happening. We are living in unique times my friend. If you do not believe me, read the news around the globe.

If we do not get wiped off the planet because of war....it will most likely be because our "System" (Solar and Earth... in all directions) is coming apart at the seems.

Man is evil. He lies, covers up, manipulates, and does not care about anyone or anything. For this reason....we are seeing the effects.

I personally see me not watching any news and living life as each day is my last. It is really hard for me to knowingly watch shiz hit the fan and not be able to do anything about it, not to mention all the people who have everything shoved in their face only to deny whats really going on in front of them.

The more people "care" and "see" whats going on the better our chances are in regards to survival. The land we live on is not ours...and we have ruined it all because some people didn't take note of the facts that laid before them. That to me is a shame. I should be like my forefathers...not worrying about anything like what I have to worry about today. Today the worry is ...will there even be an EARTH for my children to grow up on.

Thanks to our Government, thanks to the blinded people that could care less....definitely won't be able to watch American Idol if there is NO PLANET or no humans ! UGH.

Sorry...this has become a rant and I am so sorry as it is not directed to you personally. I am now asking you to please.."see" what is really going on with our Planet.

Peace and love! xoxoxo

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
Thanks to our Government, thanks to the blinded people that could care less....definitely won't be able to watch American Idol if there is NO PLANET or no humans ! UGH.

hmmm American Idol with no humans? Might actually be worth watching then!

st.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SatoriTheory

Ha..yeah just hope you are still around and have eyes to see!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Reading about the plants yesterday everything was very down played,
as if there were no problems at all. Now we have a report today saying
both plants are on alert and we are in danger. Nuclear has always
concerned me, I grew up in the hydro age. Our future generations
will not have a chance now and its all because of big money!
edit on 22-6-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
For those who don't know,

Nosred's avatar is called "vault boy".

It's from a video game called Fallout 3, which takes place after nuclear holocaust where people stayed underground in vaults to stay away from radiation.

Go figure eh???

edit on 22-6-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Well with all the radiation mutating us, I think we'll have plenty of eyes...just probably not in the correct place!

st.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

People here were gobbling up KI pills when there was no threat to us.

They aren't going to under react, they're going to go completely mad.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SatoriTheory

HAHAHA! Oh man.....I needed that laugh! Thanks so much! Its people like you who contain people like me with laughter and I soooo needed it after this day at work and especially after seeing once again someone on a forum who simply does NOT get it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

HA...WOW! Now that speaks louder than words doesn't it. Deranged? Maybe? I don't know.... lol but I sure do hope more people will wake up to the world around them and have a voice with the ones who are already screaming on the Mountain!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
..... once again someone on a forum who simply does NOT get it.

Not another one?!

Must be the radiation causing their cells to multiply and split!

Ok, i will shut up with the radiation stuff now!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

Terrorists can only attack with planes?

How the hell else is a terrorist going to cause problems with a nuclear power plant? The real world isn't like the Simpsons, the people watching over our nuclear power plants aren't idiots.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Granite
ATS used to have a whole slew of nay-sayers on the first Japan threads. There mostly all banned now...thank God!

The Fukushima power plant was built in the 60's and is hardly comparable with modern nuclear reactors.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join