It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HIV epidemic may be coming for indigenous Canadians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

HIV epidemic may be coming for indigenous Canadians

www.newscient ist.com

An HIV epidemic may be about to hit indigenous Canadians, an analysis of government data suggests.

Worldwide, HIV infection rates are higher among indigenous people than others – like many socially disadvantaged groups, indigenous populations are more likely to use intravenous drugs, and so more likely to catch the virus from contaminated needles, says Neil Andersson of CIET Canada, an epidemiological research and training organisation based in Ottawa, Ontario.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I find the title of this piece to be alarming. I am uncertain how to proceed.

I don't know that an "epidemic" is coming. and it seems that some researchers are calling their data just that.

Bowden suspects that Canada indigenous drug users are "conduits" and are spreading the virus through sex with non-users. In Australia and New Zealand, by contrast, HIV rates are relatively low amongst this risk group, he says, thanks to widespread needle exchange programmes that began in the mid-1980s.

This makes more sense. It is the closing paragraph and seems to encapsulate the report well. I wonder if Canada has or promotes "Needle Exchange" programs?

www.newscient ist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
i cant speak for the rest of the country but i know Calgary and Edmonton do as well as safe drop boxes.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Meekbot2000

Thank you. I really didn't know.

I suppose different places in Canada, like those where the indigenous population are, should consider using them to avoid the spread among "the conduits" of the disease.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

They can pick up clean needles from the drug marts and have various programs. This black market nightmare of addictions is a CIA thing and I'm very upset by any growing numbers.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Originally posted by Maxmars
I wonder if Canada has or promotes "Needle Exchange" programs?

In Vancouver (Canada), we definitely have very active needle exchange programs (I regularly see the vans and trucks downtown). I also would assume that there are needle exchange programs on many reserves (it seems like something that we here in British Columbia would promote. Other provinces I am very unsure of, but would think it would be a Canadian thing), but we all know what happens when we assume things... But just because the programs are in place does not mean that the education about them is getting to those that need it. That always is the problem with those who are socially disadvantaged.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
yea here in Canada we have all kinds of needle exchange....but there are a majority of needle users that dont use them. Or its too late at night and they cant access them. i think there is a few problems with the so called "needle exchange". I think they need to be way more accessible, like drugstores or even Drop-in centers to exchange. I know here in London Ontario there is a van that drives around and you can call and they will deliver Whatever you need. And a few people that walk around the downtown area offering free clean needles, but I really think that alot of users are embarrassed to go to a needle exchange so they just use whatever or whoever's.

top topics

join