It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need advice with employee issue...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreampsi
Well, you have a few options and most have been posted already. In your situation this is what I would do:

I would either hold a meeting and discuss dress code, store and bathroom cleanliness and say it has gotten laxed and you need to remind them or if you don't feel comfortable doing that then you could say a few customers have not necessarily complained but have made comments about personal hygiene of employees.

What I thing is the most appropriate but you probably won't want to hear it is to address her in private but do it in a positive way and something from your heart since you obviously want to help this girl but you aren't helping her if you don't say something. You could say...'G, I'm really not sure how to address this issue since I've never had to deal with it before and I really, really like you and you remind me so much of myself and I know it's hard when people don't give you a chance and I can see potential in you. Having said that, in order to be a successful sales or any kind of associate, you need to look the part to a degree. I would like to ask if you could make sure you are using good hygiene since you are the face of my store. Things like bathing, hair and personal etiquette (burping) are all a part of the professional world that people come to expect a certain level of. Maybe since you've only had cleaning jobs or jobs where you didn't have to work with the public, you've never had to consider this but I feel I must address this issue.

Something like that ..otherwise what is going to happen is it is going to fester inside you and you will either fire her or explode when you can't take it anymore. There is no reason why someone who had the desire and skills necessary to open her own business and get it to the point of hiring employees due to business growth can't address her employees to make it better for all. You can do it and maybe, just maybe your husband is right and this is one more way you can grow in professionalism as a small business owner. After all, would you want to jeapordize what you've worked so hard over one young girl's hygiene?

Congrats on your success!

edit on 22-6-2011 by dreampsi because: spell

Thanks for the advice.
I know I have to deal with this asap and not let it 'fester' as you say, it will indeed explode if I don't handle it.

I discussed everything said in this thread with my husband, what he really wants me to do is have a personal talk with her tomorrow about it. Not a meeting or an additional article in the rules, but an eye to eye confrontation.
Of course he wants me to become more professional, be more of an employer and less a friend to them. According to him I should not loose sleep over issues like this.
He doesn't always like the way I handle things but I know he also doesn't want to tell me what to do all the time, we are co-workers and married... not an easy combination, lol.
I'm just not sure if I want to become all that he wants me to be, profesionally. I like things just the way they are but the store keeps on getting bigger... like I said above, it really is scary to me, but I also understand where he is coming from.
I don't think I'll ever become the tough boss-lady, I don't want to be.

But anyway, I think I'll be using a lot of advice from you post when I talk to G tomorrow.
thanks

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well, to put it bluntly, you screwed up by putting your personal feelings before an objective assessment. I agree with several others that you have to fix this thing now, today. Talk to her and tell her the expectations. You're not the Mommy here; you're the boss. Act like it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Best thing in the world is get her in private, so no one else can hear and simply tell her your concerns. You can start off by listing all the good things you like about her and are pleased with, then slide into the matters that you have voiced here. Her appearance and smell is an issue when she is dealing with customers. Who knows? Maybe her water has been cut off or something. Talk to her.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Well, to put it bluntly, you screwed up by putting your personal feelings before an objective assessment. I agree with several others that you have to fix this thing now, today. Talk to her and tell her the expectations. You're not the Mommy here; you're the boss. Act like it.

Why do you say I screwed up? Because I hired her? That wasn't a screw up imo, if it wasn't for the hygiene issue she would be a very good employee and will become better while she's learning.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Here's what I would do...
Simply inform ALL employees, that starting the next day, there will be a "dress code"....and that it applies to everyone. That way she won't be embarrassed for being singled out. Make an "attention: All employees" sheet, and post it where it will be seen...and give each employee a copy.

1. All employees will show up for work dressed neatly. Hygiene is very important, so please pay attention to personal hygiene. This includes (besides the obvious showering, washing hair, and deodorant)...hair combed and styled neatly, no wrinkled clothes, We want to make a good impression on our customers. This also includes leaving the restroom clean for the next person. Thank you for your hard work, and if you have questions about the new code, please ask.

I don't know, it's an idea though. Just make it sound like it's just a new thing, without making her feel bad beacuse it affects everyone.

edit on 6/22/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The males you employ had issues which were corrected..This young lady is the female counterpart of todays culture I am the shop foreman of a small construction company (semi retired now ) We have safety rules to follow as well as personal dress For me haveing to fire someone is one of the hardest things I have to do.Meet with her in private and have a heart to heart. Praise her good points and be gental about the hygene Your buisness is your main concern One more chance if she dosent comply you must let her go . One instance comes to mind with a mechanic who showed up to work drunk. I sent him home .the next day he showed up to work still drunk I had to let him go..he had a family .I could not let that affect my decision .Your company and livelyhood must come first..

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I've hired many employees and had only a handful of successes. What I've learned is go with the best qualified and work your way down. I've hired many just give me a chance applicants and none of them have ever worked out. I've also dealt with the exact same person you are describing. I didn't take it upon myself to have a talk with her, I asked my employees to handle it for me by carefully addressing the situation. After finding out that her boyfriend was allergic to her deodorant, and she was unwilling to take care of the problem I waited for an opportunity to let her go. I have a 90 day hiring policy. My advice to you is to write up a policy manual and follow it. This will lead to a lot less problems in the future. Hang in there, the right person for your business is out there.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Some things, we had to do at my workplace.
"what is that smell?" then check your own underarms. Ask her if she smells it.

Buy her a gift basket, with all the good smelly stuff in it. Soaps, lotions, toothpaste.

Make a comment about another customer (after they are gone of course) "can you believe someone would go out in public like that?

Tell her a story about a previous employee that had unpleasant aroma's that you ended up having to fire due to customer complaints..Doesn't have to be true.

Wear a clothespin on your nose, and hand them out to customers as they come in (ok, just kidding on that one.)

those are some indirect messages.

You could also just have a heart to heart with her. You really went out on a limb for her, and you want it to work out for everyone. Tell here it's not THAT bad, but could use improvement. Some people are bothered by bluntness. Others not so much...you'd have to make the call on that one.

Personally, I think it's cool that you gave someone a chance like that. My wife found an employee in a very similar way. A diamond in the Rough, so to speak. and she trained up well, no bad habits from previous jobs.

and good luck!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

You are correct. A business is not some chariety or nanny organisation. You are altermately in business to make money. I always say, you pay peanuts, you get monkies!

It's only common sense to show up at work clean and refreshed. Fact is, this woman can't even clean up after herself in a common toilet and that also tells me she has some shocking habits too. Burping in a boutique or shop, goodness gracious me!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for the great advice and shared experiences.
I will take all in consideration before talking to her.

My husband opened the shop today and I'm starting my shift this afternoon and close up tonight.
I'll try and have a "subtile" talk with her today. It's just going to be me and her so there won't be collegues around to hear.
wish me luck and fingers crossed.
I'll post the results of our chat here later

thanks again for all the replies

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Don't know what happened, but when I got in this afternoon she returned from her lunchbreak with white teeth and was wearing perfum.
My husband said she came in like that this morning. (he did of course compliment her on the great smell of the perfum
)

Maybe one of the collegues said something to her yesterday.... I really don't know what changed all of a sudden, but I sure hope she keeps it up and that it wasn't a one time thing.
On the other issues, like burping and cleanness... I'll jump on them the min it happens again.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Maybe she read this thread???

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

StealthyKat, were you that little girl?

Sorry, I'm just joking, but I couldn't pass it up.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Interesting. One time I worked at a law firm and a secretary was hired. She was a little different from the rest, but okay enough. It wasn't long before we all realized there was a real difference – a smell. Not only that, but the lady was totally disheveled and sadly unkempt. One evening when most of the employees had gone home, I saw her eating what was left over of “my” baked potato from lunch. Now, that’s pretty heartbreaking. It didn’t take long before the office manager talked with her. Come to find out, she had no running water, had no electricity, wasn’t able to pay bills, and was trying to take care of two children (under age 10). She was horribly upset at the fact that she knew she couldn’t do anything about it. She tried to wash herself at night when everyone left the office, but sometimes she couldn’t. She didn’t last long after that. I think the realization everyone knew her situation was too much for her to bear. So, you may not know what’s going on in your employee’s household that could prompt her not to wash, etc., but still, she needs guidance and instruction from her employer if she doesn’t portray the type of individual you want your customers to look to for assistance. Good luck. Hope she continues to be the type of employee you enjoy working with.

peace y’all

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by GypsK

Maybe she read this thread???

lol, imagine that!

but nope, as far as I can tell and by what she told, she's a facebook addict and not really into conspiracy theories or any related topic.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Gutterpus

That is really sad and heartbreaking...
indeed you can never know for sure what someones life is like outside the workspace.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

You know, I wonder if when she had someone taking care of her children, perhaps that person helped her out as well. Maybe they knew she didn't yet have the resources. Seeing how she looked/smelled, etc., perhaps they gave her a little extra money, or something that helped her purchase whatever hygene stuff she needed, a little perfume, etc. At any rate, hope she continues to impress and do well. Good luck.

peace

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Sahabi

I would'nt ask the hubby to sit in with her because the issue for now is personal hygiene and that would be too confronting and pose problems.

You know what, you're right. Also, I hadn't considered the extra embarrassment issue. I'm pretty fair but strict with my employees. Always nice to get an outside view to balance things out.

When I first developed a musty stink from my underarms, I didn't even notice. I think it was kind of like... you have been wearing a perfume or cologne for an hour. You can no longer smell it, but those around you can. You get used to it. So when people would drop hints or make jokes, I was still totally naive and oblivious. Looking back, I now see their efforts to tell me. So I definitely think a straight-forward and direct approach is best.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

GypsK, it's pretty interesting that the issue was corrected right as you were about to address it! Looks like something saved you from an uncomfortable encounter!

From reading this thread, I see that you have a wonderful heart. I wish I, and others, to have as much compassion as you. May Peace be upon you.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi
reply to post by GypsK

GypsK, it's pretty interesting that the issue was corrected right as you were about to address it! Looks like something saved you from an uncomfortable encounter!

From reading this thread, I see that you have a wonderful heart. I wish I, and others, to have as much compassion as you. May Peace be upon you.

I will second that. Glad it's working out

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join