It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Examples of How to Debate and Discuss with Civility.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
There have a been a few threads raised calling for civility due to the manner in which many users are approaching discussion and debate regarding "Religion, Faith and Theology"

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Consider this a thread a resource of examples of how to debate with civility, with manners, and without resulting to personal insult or ad hominems.

Please take your time to browse through some of the below examples; We should ALL be aspiring to debate with a level of decorum that will reduce the ammount of moderation required.

Theist vs Atheist
===================

Theist vs Theist
===================

Atheist vs Atheist
===================

The moderators do a great job; but there are so many discussions it must be an impossible task to moderate.

Hopefully these examples will provide people with the inspiration to discuss and debate religious, metaphysical, philosophical or spiritual ideology with civility.

Remember, Atheists or Non-Theists may "offend" those who believe; but that's not the intention. Atheists (or Non-Theists) have just as much right to share their beliefs (or reasons for non-belief) in debate as believing participants do.

NOTE: This is not a thread for discussion of theology or philosophy. Please feel free to discuss debate style, or approach. Moderators please feel free to unembed the videos and leave links instead.

Peace.
edit on 22-6-2011 by ExistentialNightmare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I'd also like to call this thread as an example of people calling other people "loons" or "delusional" in a disrespectful and arrogant manner.

Demon behind Prince William thread

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ExistentialNightmare

Hey... thems fighting words...
you saying I cant be civil... get my point across without taking cheapshoots and jabs...

Don't make me come over there...
seriously don't make me... then I'd have to put down my Nachos my Beer and find my pants....

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
OP where is Bill Maher???

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ExistentialNightmare

Those that can't be civil are only shooting themselves in the foot. They don't bother me, because I know that they have already lost the argument if they start lashing out at those they disagree with.

Stupidity is self-evident, except to the stupid.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Man, this board needs this. Sadly, the people who need to listen to this, are also the ones who'll be ignoring it.

People need this in real life too, it's really annoying to debate with a person with no manners in person.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruthh

Originally posted by JesusisTruthh

OP where is Bill Maher???

What exactly is the point of that comment?

Bill Maher is a comedian and would not be pointed to as an example of civil discourse. Maher attempts to be purposely offensive, it is part of his shtick.

Could you not of just agreed with the purpose of the OP, that argumentation should remain civil and rational?

I would also like to add a link to a summation of a book I read a while back called Attacking Faulty Reasoning. It lays out a code of conduct for effective rational discussion and I believe that if more people followed this code people would have a greater chance of reaching truth in their discussions.

I was going to create a thread about this very topic but I feel it would fit in nicely with this OP.

Rational Discussion
edit on 18-7-2011 by megabytz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I've been grumpy and quarrelsome as far back, as I remember, and as far as I can see, some of my opponents on ATS appear to have similar mindsets.

I can, from a rational perspective, see the shortcomings of such a mindset, and I can personally try to 'better' myself through introspection and self-discipline (it's ofcourse debatable how successful I'm am with this)...

.....but then not everybody accepts a rational perspective as THE perspective, so mankind (as represented in the mini-universe of ATS) will probably have to live for a while with just a reduction of black/white aggressions, to sugarcoated insinuations and snide comments. Which after all is a step in the right direction.

top topics

join