It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria condemns extended EU sanctions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by confreak

Not a single one of the sources you provided indicates that one million children were killed as a direct result of American led sanctions. The UNICEF report simply concludes that the sanctions were responsible for some of the increase in infant mortality rate, but again, it does not provide a specific answer.

I also find it ironic that one of the links you provided, that being the reason.com link (of which I have been a contributing writer), specifically shows how the reported numbers were totally incorrect.

The sanctions, first imposed in 1990 after Iraq's invasion of Kuwait, are administered by the U.N., not the U.S. They were first imposed on all exports from Iraq and occupied Kuwait, and all non-humanitarian imports, in an effort to persuade Saddam Hussein to retreat within his own borders.

I went ahead and highlighted a sentence of note. According to this article, which you flippantly used as evidence for your irresponsible and incorrect statement, these sanctions were administered by the U.N. Before you come out and say something like "well, the United States supported the sanctions!" you can say the same thing about just about every nation in Europe, including Russia and Japan.

The dictatorial Iraqi government, which has blamed nearly every civilian funeral since 1991 on sanctions, claims there have been more than 600,000 deaths of under-5-year-olds these past 11 years (4,500 per month) and 1.5 million deaths overall.

So you honestly believe that every single individual death since 1991 is a direct result of those sanctions?

Please read your sources before posting them. In fact, I would encourage you to read the Reason article in it's entirety, as it may actually clear up some loose ends that you are obviously confused about.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

What a nauseating, fear-mongering, amateurish video--you failed completely in getting your point across. I certainly hope you didn't make this garbage yourself.

But I digress... Bearack is correct in saying that we are getting off topic.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Syria says EU sanctions amount to declaration of war (VIDEO)

A defiant Syria says European Union sanctions against it amount to war and is warning that it will not tolerate any foreign interference in its internal affairs.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by confreak
Syria says EU sanctions amount to declaration of war (VIDEO)

A defiant Syria says European Union sanctions against it amount to war and is warning that it will not tolerate any foreign interference in its internal affairs.

Again, that is Syria stating that the EU is in essence declaring war on them. There is nothing there that states that Syria has declared war on the EU.

Edit to add that the new title is much more representative of the actual discussion.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Bearack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Judge_Holden
reply to post by randyvs

What a nauseating, fear-mongering, amateurish video--you failed completely in getting your point across. I certainly hope you didn't make this garbage yourself.

But I digress... Bearack is correct in saying that we are getting off topic.

I failed at getting what point across?
edit on 22-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join