It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria condemns extended EU sanctions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Syrian foreign minister in a press conference said that "We will forget that Europe is on the map and we will look east, south and toward every hand that is extended to us. The world is not just made up of Europe,' (Source)'. No doubt this is what Libya said, but that is when Libya was already being bombed.

PressTV reports the foreign minister saying, "Damascus considers extended EU sanctions as a declaration of war"(Source). The report does not have a direct quote from the foreign minister but if true, this is a declaration of war against EU.

Sanctions are usually regarded as acts of war, although economic war, it usually is used to weaken the enemy, foresight which declares a pending attacking.

The foreign minister blamed the chaos in his country on Europe and also stated that Europe is not willing to change its mind with its plan also known as evil scheme ^^ "The reactions from European Union officials to President Assad's speech (show) they have a plan and they want to continue with it, (they want) to plant strife and chaos in Syria," (Source)

I personally believe that Europe did have something to do with the chaos, weapons going in the hands of gangs which started the chaos in a similar fashion to Libyan conversion to chaos and bloodshed. The media is also playing a big part, infact one could argue that these wars would fail at their preliminary stage if it wan't for the media.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cd33bf13aec9.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 22-6-2011 by dbates because: Corrected title to reflect source article

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Next time, don't use headlines that aren't true.

Also, sanctions aren't considered an act of war, they are a tool to leverage a country going against international norms/conditions.

Anything can be considered an act of war if the country decides it is. Sounds like Syria is trying to make expanded sactions an act of war.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I think it's about time people acknowledged we're basically having a WW3.

..funnily enough few actually realize it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Very missleading title, please change it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by YouDeserveToKnow

How are we "basically" having another World War? What about current international affairs makes you believe that we are heading towards WWIII? I'm sorry, but you could not be more wrong.

Anyway, as was said above, sanctions do not qualify as an act of war. If Syria wants to rally international support by suggesting that it is, then so be it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I agree with the others. The title is 100% inaccurate and should be changed.

Regarding WWIII, I', not totally convinced of that yet. However, Russia and China positioning themselves of late, I could see an escalation which could result in a WWIIII scenario!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Wow-Another false ATS thread. What else is new?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SadButTrue
Next time, don't use headlines that aren't true.

Also, sanctions aren't considered an act of war, they are a tool to leverage a country going against international norms/conditions.

Anything can be considered an act of war if the country decides it is. Sounds like Syria is trying to make expanded sactions an act of war.

With Love

I never said sanction is an act of war (I'll recheck just in case I did), but rather said Sanctions can be regarded as an act of war, because it shows a future military threat.

I will give you a real historical example, hence Iraq. Over a million babies died in direct result of the US led sanctions, the sanctions were obvious to weaken Iraq, and it worked, Iraq gave up all its deterrence, just like Libya, don't forget Libya was also sanctioned until Libya gave away all its deterrence capabilities which led to Libya being attacking.

Coincidence? No, it is part of war, but is it an act of war? That is up for debate.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by confreak

I personally believe that Europe did have something to do with the chaos, weapons going in the hands of gangs which started the chaos in a similar fashion to Libyan conversion to chaos and bloodshed. The media is also playing a big part, infact one could argue that these wars would fail at their preliminary stage if it wan't for the media.

Setting aside the blatantly over the top sensationalized title of this thread.

You made some valid points, However, where in all of this is the "Syrian Governments" actions that also "have something to do with the chaos" pointed out? The Syrians are just like everybody else on the planet and when they see something they don't like their Government doing they react. Oftentimes violently.

Care to comment on the Syrian Governments actions which also contributed to the Chaos?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Over a million babies died in direct result of the US led sanctions,

Source please.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SadButTrue

Well blockades are considered acts of war.....but you are correct sanctions are not. They are never-the-less very serious

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1

"Damascus considers extended EU sanctions as a declaration of war"

The above sentence clearly says Damascus considers EU sanctions as a declaration of war. So connect the dots, if Syria sees EU sanctions as declaration of war, what does that mean? You don't have to be an Einstein to understand that.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Judge_Holden

Here's one for half a mill.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by confreak

Originally posted by Itop1

"Damascus considers extended EU sanctions as a declaration of war"

The above sentence clearly says Damascus considers EU sanctions as a declaration of war. So connect the dots, if Syria sees EU sanctions as declaration of war, what does that mean? You don't have to be an Einstein to understand that.

But there has been NO declaration of war!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Judge_Holden

Source please.

Thanks.

UNICEF report
www.unicef.org...
reason.com...
www.casi.org.uk...
personal.rhul.ac.uk...

Others claim the numbers are as high as 1.5 million, one of those is Ramsey Clark. Iraqi government also puts the number at 1.5, Iraqi culture minister puts the numbers at 1.7...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bearack

There is no such thing as a "declaration of war" these days.

If you don't like them, you just attack them.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Title's gotta go dude! Who the hell do you think you are, FOX News? I thought there was a real declaration of war! Peace.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by Bearack

There is no such thing as a "declaration of war" these days.

If you don't like them, you just attack them.

That's fine and dandy but the title states Syria declared war on the EU. My stance is that the thread title is extremely misleading.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by confreak

Originally posted by Judge_Holden

Source please.

Thanks.

UNICEF report
www.unicef.org...
reason.com...
www.casi.org.uk...
personal.rhul.ac.uk...

Others claim the numbers are as high as 1.5 million, one of those is Ramsey Clark. Iraqi government also puts the number at 1.5, Iraqi culture minister puts the numbers at 1.7...

I don't think this thread should go down this path because there are many who would blame Saddam and the EU in it's corrupt "Oil for Food" program.

I think the thread should get back on topic.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yes no doubt, I don't admire the Syrian government. To be honest, there is only one thing I like about the Syrian government, and that is their anti-Zionist policies.

How I feel about the Syrian government doesn't really reflect the facts on the ground, similarly how I feel about the US government doesn't reflect the facts on the ground. Although there are protests, they started very small, and became large and deadly because of the armed gangs (fingers are pointed). Once again, just from my perspective of things, and I just like most here don't trust the mainstream media.

The gangs coordinated attacks on police seeking irrational retaliation, that irrational retaliation from police increase the violence and increased the size of the protests. The media played a huge role here, you could say Al-Jazeera has become the main head of the multi-headed dragon.

One thing for sure though, the Syrian government was too swift in reforms. They accepted reforms early, and implemented them quickly, what happened? In my opinion the Europeans took that as a sign of weakness, which is why the foreign minister says that EU has a plan and wants to continues its plans.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join