It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who out there is growing a garden? If not WHY?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Okay. We do have a garden, but here is a very serious question. Anybody know how to get real and up to date info on radiation levels in rain? My understanding is that given global weather patterns South America is less impacted by radiation from Japan. So, despite this being the largest garden I have grown (or gotten my significant other to...
)in many years...is it safe to eat or would I actually be better off with imports?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bluestar.ranch

I love my garden. We started in May. It's now huge. This is 8 x 30 and we used very old deck boards (without nails) and added compost and new dirt. Planted silver queen corn, asparagus, squash, egg plant, 16 tomatoe plants (4 kinds), pole beans, sweet potatoes, 1 watermelon, 3 cantelope, red peppers, and a couple other things. Nothing like fresh vegs and fruit. Also have 3 blueberry bushes, 1 fig, 1 apple and 1 peach tree. Need to learn to can now.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
My Girl Friend has a garden. 1/2 acre in raspberries, asparagus and flowers. A commercial operation supplying the local restaurants with fresh produce and flowers. I made the drip system, shade for the plants, small greenhouse for getting a jump on mother nature and huge compost enclosure for the alpaca **** we use for fertilizer. The garden is now pretty much automated except for harvesting and ordinary maintenance, that we pay a young kid $10 and hr to do.
It's a nice sideline for our other enterprises and brings in additional income.

The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well here in the high Desert SW.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I am...
While most of my veggies are doing good, some did not survive the colder weather of this season. As it was colder longer than expected... etc. Will have a good harvest for the fall at least. I found there's a good place locally where I could have rented some land for growing(indoor and out), next year if there's laster frost in the season that'd be a good option too. Plan to have a bigger garden as well, as this is just s start.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I have a garden. Zucchini, cucumber, radishes, beans, peas, summer squash, cantaloupe, tomatoes, strawberries, ect. For those in an apartment with a patio try these Growboxes I have a house and yard but I have these on my patio as well. So simple and if you live upstairs you never have to worry about water dripping onto your downstairs neighbors porch. I have horrible red clay soil, so I do raised beds. Next year I want to put in some fruit trees and expand my garden. Chickens as well. There was a post here on urban homesteading that really inspired me to make better use of my property. I can't wait to start canning this year. It will be my first time.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

we have a nice garden where I am with 3 raised beds I built this year, we grow strawberry's, spuds, squash, tomato's, some kind of asparagus, carrots and some other bits and bobs, herbs, a cherry tree and a plum tree, my wife loves it when I ask her to come over and look at how big my plums are...

anyway Does anyone know of any good online diy greenhouse info? im really keen to put one up but dont want to pay £500 for something I can build (theoretically)
edit on 22-6-2011 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoswellCityLimits
...for those of us that work a minimum wage job, and live in an apartment (with no patio), and have no vehicle to carry these things home in, your orders to 'snap-to' and jump in line carry a bad taste...if you could stop looking down your nose for a moment, you'd see that the masses don't have the time or resources to deal with your "...I grow my own, if you don't, you're RETARDED, or something..." attitude.

I hereby dub thee: Sir Summer's Eve of Masengill
edit on 6/22/11 by RoswellCityLimits because: erroneous sentence removed

YIKES please chill! In the post it says if you cant grow a garden, join a garden club... food co-op or shop at a farmers market! and of course I did not mention that if you do not have a garden you are retarded...in your case "special" maybe...

ALL KIDDING ASIDE. Growing a garden for fresh produce saves you lots of money. (not the first few years!) and once you start eating fresh foods weather you can grow your own or not.... oh, and one other reason... JUST IN CASE there is a run at the supermarket and the store shelves are bare... you will establish yourself at the top of the heap if you have connections for food in other places besides the supermarket... So IF you want to please start a garden.

Tonight for dinner I am cooking home grown beef rump roast from our cows,.....organic zucchini with tiny bell peppers, onions FRESH tomatoes parmesion cheese....and Italian spices with motzerella cheese.... mmmmmmm good!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I started small last year. Just tomatoes and peppers to get a feel for it.
This year I have expanded greatly and my garden in thriving. I built a rainwater collection system with three 55 gallon food grade barrels. Installed drip water irrigation and a small pond pump to help push the water from the barrels. It works great, I flip a switch and the garden waters itself. I have a garden hose hooked up as a back up plan if we get a long dry spell. I put trelleses all along the outer edge to help save space by going vertical.

I planted leeks, onions, radishes, garlic, spinach, romain lettuce, cabbage, red cabbage, zuccini, cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, eggplant, squash, sugar snap peas, sweet peas, green beans, broccoli, carrots, watermelon, and celery. All in about 3500 square feet. Elsewhere I have a couple strawberry plants and a seperate garden growing yukon gold and redskin potatoes.

I had 8 straw bales leftover from last halloween that were starting to decompose. I planted my peppers and tomatoes in those and they're doing great.

I also built a barrel composter. I get good fresh compost in about 1 months time. I put down old newspaper and straw. It makes a good mulch that holds moisture and keeps out weeds. In the fall you can till it right into the soil and it will compost through the winter, adding nutrients to keep the soil healthy.

I work 6 days a week, 10 hours a day and have 3 kids. Those who say they don't have time, I say you can find time.

I'm worried now that I won't be able to keep up with the harvest and canning.

This should put a nice dent in my families grocery bill. I have all that growing in a small suburban back yard. I also have a pretty big kids swing set and fort and a swimming pool back there. So if you plan out your space right you can get a lot of food from a small plot.
edit on 22-6-2011 by leemachino because: added statement

edit on 22-6-2011 by leemachino because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by doubledutch

My brother made a poly tunnel with flexible piping given to him by a local builder. He made the frame by bending them into an arch , covering with plastic sheeting and adding wooden struts for stability. He`s in Scotland -
which can have some very low temperatures and high winds.

Its still still standing three years later, and he has succesfully grown a huge variety of veg.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by katseyes

excellent, thanks - I think knock one of those together

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I have just aquired a large cache of assorted seeds,however im trying to get awat from the city before i start,but am really looking forward to it

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
My back garden up until recently was awash with nettles, fire weeds (uk sort) and brambles. Really needed to clear the damn thing, it's HUGE - But hey least everything in it was edible sorta.
Anyway they've been cleared now and I'm just waiting to hire a mini digger and get the ground into good order then away I go.
Absolutely itching to get growing. I've enough room to allow the naughty weeds back for the bee's, but they go where I tell them this time.

What's really surprised me is how good the soil quality is - all my neighbours moan about theirs. Maybe nature having it's own way for so long has done me a favour.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluestar.ranch
Who out there is growing a garden? If not WHY? For once you have tasted REAL good food, you will never go to the supermarket and buy tomatoes from other countries, shipped at the cost of gas, labor, taxes, greenhouse emmissions! Yikes...

I just went to my garden and picked cantalope, peppers, watermelons, and aboit 30 lbs of tomatoes just in a few minutes.. Okra, greenbeans and zucchini and more are going gang busters too.

So IF you do not have a garden, LEARN to or joing fast growing co-ops CSA, Church groups, community gardens, farmers markets. (buy LOCAL!) or contact your local Ag Extension office for Master Gardeners.
They will help you for FREE - ( this is for USA that I know for sure) You will eat and feel much better!

Learn to Can your own foods. Do not depend on Govt Food Stamps or Government Aid in a crisis... Start your own food co-op.. call local farmers markets and get a few neighbors.. friends.. then add a few more.. each week a few hours packing fresh food and having a pot luck dinner.... GET TO KNOW YOUR NEIGHBORS... hhhmm just in case?

No time for a garden? make time... stop watching TV~ No space for a garden? grow on your balcony or patio with a trellis or vertically? Physical problems? gardening is good for you OR just make the effort to join a food co-op or buy local... you will be helping others... JUST DO SOMETHING

We are growing our own garden, we started one last year and now we built our own garden boxes and we are doing square gardening, which is a lot more convienent and easy. You can grown on a patio with a four square garden. We just got our first beet from the garden. We started a little bit late but we are still in the experiementing stage. Next year we are planning on getting chickens and rabbits, and hopefully no more meat buying at the store! I agree gardening is fun and easy! Plus, I love watching my food grow! Kudos to you for growing as well.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gutterpus
reply to post by bluestar.ranch

I love my garden. We started in May. It's now huge. This is 8 x 30 and we used very old deck boards (without nails) and added compost and new dirt. Planted silver queen corn, asparagus, squash, egg plant, 16 tomatoe plants (4 kinds), pole beans, sweet potatoes, 1 watermelon, 3 cantelope, red peppers, and a couple other things. Nothing like fresh vegs and fruit. Also have 3 blueberry bushes, 1 fig, 1 apple and 1 peach tree. Need to learn to can now.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Hello,

We started canning last year and it is wicked easy, all you need to do is buy the cheap kit at Wal-mart with all the canning supplies, I forgot the name of the canning supplies, (my memory sucks sometimes) but it comes with a book and it tells how to can everything from asparagus, tomatoes, garlic, and so on. Very useful btw! This year we plan on canning everything so we can enjoy our tomatoes and other veggies through out the year!

I actually looked up the name of the canning kit we got and it is called Ball, they have been around forever. we got ours at Sam's club for 20.00 which is an awesome deal. it comes with everything we need and the jars for the canning you can get at your local grocery store. Good Luck!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Faery34majick

Hey thanks a lot. I've seen those - in fact they're everywhere around here. My mom used to can everything. Growing up, we had a 5 acre garden on the side of a hill by a lake. It was wicked to keep weeded, but very cool when it came time to harvest. Next year, we plan on doubling the size of our garden.

I'll come back and visit from time to time and see how harvest time is going for all the folks here and see what tidbits can be gleaned.

peace y'all

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Who out there is growing a garden? If not WHY

Wish I could. Can't. We live in the city. Last year (before I got sick) - we started those upside down hanging things for a garden. It worked okay. Got lots of food but it all tasted flat. We simply don't have room. We had a garden growing up. A good sized one. It was great. Miss it.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

I've been doing a lot of research lately in to permaculture systems, and food forests. I live in the desert, so putting in swales and other methods of passive rainwater harvesting are high on my list! I would love to have a maintenance free garden, but doing it in the city is harder than you would think! As I plan out my front yard, I plan out doing as much of a perennial food forest as possible, while still making it look attractive for the front of the house.

In our veggie garden right now I have below ground 'raised beds', filled with my own compost growing mixture. Having them dug down 18" below soil level, help retain moisture in the soil. I'm growing corn, beans, squash (several varieties), cucumbers, tomatoes, chile peppers, eggplant, watermelon, sunflowers, and TONS of herbs & other miscellaneous small stuff.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I've never owned land to plant a garden... and I'm back on the sweepstakes circuit looking for opportunities to make that dream come true. One can only hope.

yeahright,
Super Moderator

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Dang, You guys are making me jealous. Although I try every year, I just can't seem to grow anything. Right now I have strawberries, tomatoes and hot peppers plants but all I have to show for it is a couple of anemic looking tomatoes.

If I have to rely on my farming skills alone, I'm afraid I will be going hungry.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I have tried to grow some veggies but didn't have much luck. There are tons of beetles where I live so I probably would have to spray chemicals to have the plant grow.

To those of you who collect rain water: DO NOT COLLECT RAIN WATER FROM YOUR GUTTERS! THERE ARE DANGEROUS CHEMICALS PUT ON ROOFS WHICH WILL COLLECT IN THE RUN OFF.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join