It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who out there is growing a garden? If not WHY?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Who out there is growing a garden? If not WHY? For once you have tasted REAL good food, you will never go to the supermarket and buy tomatoes from other countries, shipped at the cost of gas, labor, taxes, greenhouse emmissions! Yikes...

I just went to my garden and picked cantalope, peppers, watermelons, and aboit 30 lbs of tomatoes just in a few minutes.. Okra, greenbeans and zucchini and more are going gang busters too.

So IF you do not have a garden, LEARN to or joing fast growing co-ops CSA, Church groups, community gardens, farmers markets. (buy LOCAL!) or contact your local Ag Extension office for Master Gardeners.
They will help you for FREE - ( this is for USA that I know for sure) You will eat and feel much better!

Learn to Can your own foods. Do not depend on Govt Food Stamps or Government Aid in a crisis... Start your own food co-op.. call local farmers markets and get a few neighbors.. friends.. then add a few more.. each week a few hours packing fresh food and having a pot luck dinner.... GET TO KNOW YOUR NEIGHBORS... hhhmm just in case?

No time for a garden? make time... stop watching TV~ No space for a garden? grow on your balcony or patio with a trellis or vertically? Physical problems? gardening is good for you OR just make the effort to join a food co-op or buy local... you will be helping others... JUST DO SOMETHING

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by bluestar.ranch

While I would love to grow my own garden, apartment living isn't very conducive to that, nor is the nature of my job. It seems like you've got a green thumb though, so if you could think of some good ideas that would work for those of us who don't have the facilities for growing our own plants, I would definitely love to see them! Are there any small indoor greenhouses or something of that nature? I really do hope to hear from you on this! Thanks...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I am currently growing in a green house I built, fairly easy to build just two by fours and painters clear plastic tarp.

I have both ebb and flow hydroponics, deep water cultivation, and in normal soil.

Looking into aquaponics, that is where you can harvest fish as well as plants in the same system.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
You haven't seen much of me on the survival forums until yesterday, because it has been berry-picking time in Texas.

2nd line.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

I am currently growing in a green house I built, fairly easy to build just two by fours and painters clear plastic tarp.

I have both ebb and flow hydroponics, deep water cultivation, and in normal soil.

Looking into aquaponics, that is where you can harvest fish as well as plants in the same system.

Do you have the green house vented? I'd like to build my own as well, just wondering how you did it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Oggii

You could look into a small bubble ponics system that you could put next to your windows, or you could grow in your closet with artificial lighting.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Yep, I put two inline duct fans that at roof level, one blowing out and one blowing in, I have set up misters that are used on patios in the heat inside to water on a timer.

I also put a small swapcooler in to keep the temp down.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I used a total of 24 two by fours, and about the same number of metal joints, i built a rectangle box (fairly easy) and just over laid a tarp on the floor with some weed killer cloth to keep anything from growing under it. Then I just put painters tarps over it, with the venting, I used something called tarp zippers to cut and seal a door.

I used two of the 2x4s to make a soil box inside the green house, one half is for my hydro projects the other for soil, total cost was under 200.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I have had a garden for the past 3 years, roughly 3000 square feet, planting okra, corn, zucchini, squash, bush beans, pole beans, black eyes peas, zipper peas(!!!!)), cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, english peas, colards, and turnips greens. We had to buy a new freezer to hold the harvest, not to mention everything we canned.

There is NOTHING like fresh vegetables. After having fresh tomatoes, i can NOT buy or eat that nasty stuff they call tomatoes at the store, that are picked while green, left to "ripen," have no taste and feel grainy. Yuck. And people eat this stuff? They are so used to it i guess they do...

This year: I do not have a garden, just some tomato plants. Why do i not have a garden? Two reasons: 1) i have not had any time to plant it, and it's not about turning off the TV. In addition to being busy away from home during the week, most weekends i have also been away from home, and have just not been there enough to be able to till and plant. 2) We have had so little rain that the ground is too hard to plant. The ground is like concrete, literally. Even the place i tilled last year for tomatoes, i had to wait close to three weeks for an evening rain for the ground to be soft enough to plant them, as i could not even get a shovel into it before.

That's why i do not have one...yet. But there is still a good month left to plant.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I have joined ATS recently and have been waiting on a post to reply to. Been kind of scared to do so. But this one jumped right out at me.
I am growing a garden. I use raised beds as it is easier to keep up with any weeding. Anyone can do this. I am a 51 year old woman and I put together the beds and filled them with dirt by myself. You just need to start small and then add on to your garden each year. I also grow many herbs in containers. There is great satisfaction in growing your own organic food. It is amazing to go to my garden everyday and see how fast the plants are growing. Invest in a good canner so you can enjoy your crop in the winter. I have many friends who have never grown vegetables and this year have decided to do so. I guess it is a sign of the times.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
...for those of us that work a minimum wage job, and live in an apartment (with no patio), and have no vehicle to carry these things home in, your orders to 'snap-to' and jump in line carry a bad taste...if you could stop looking down your nose for a moment, you'd see that the masses don't have the time or resources to deal with your "...I grow my own, if you don't, you're RETARDED, or something..." attitude.

I hereby dub thee: Sir Summer's Eve of Masengill
edit on 6/22/11 by RoswellCityLimits because: erroneous sentence removed

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Comeuppance

I have joined ATS recently and have been waiting on a post to reply to. Been kind of scared to do so. But this one jumped right out at me.

You shouldn't have done it, now they know where you are!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by Comeuppance

You shouldn't have done it, now they know where you are!

No worries, I am tough!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by RoswellCityLimits

What's that I hear?

An excuse?

Being paid minimum wage is enough to grow anything.
Seeds are cheap.
You have a window right? There's your sunlight.
I have neighbors who are younger than me...(early 20's)
They live on minimum wage and grow anything they want.

Why or how, you ask?

They sold their television and got rid of cable!

Also, they use a prepaid cellphone and are very frugal.
No...I take that back.
They are extremely smart.

You see, there is no reason why people can't grow their own vegetables.
It's a matter of priority, or taking responsibility for living.
Some people believe that having cable and internet is more important.
Other believe that self-sustainance is more important.

What matters more to you? (rhetorical)

Being resourceful is an asset few people have.
But most should strive to succeed at.

No one is forcing anyone to garden.
Most people I see who don't "want" to are lazy anyways.
Like the OP said:

Get off your butts and DO something!

To answer the OP...
I have a garden this year, and have had one previous years.
Best tasting food in the world.
I recently built a rain collection system to have for the days without rain...(works lika charm).

All my peers think I am too busy for them, because I spend alot of time in my garden.
Mind you, they all want MY food when it's ready...which I do share more than i should.
Ironic as it seems, when I tell them to grow their own I hear the same excuses...

But it is my chance to be "grounded".

And I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Because it is worth the hard work it takes.

edit on 22-6-2011 by havok because: Added info

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RoswellCityLimits

I built (3) 3x7 planters in my back yard for about...FREE.

I used boards that I found at demo sites that were untreated and it took all of about 40 screws.

I understand that you live in a pt and are a fixed income, but you could grow a variety of herbs in one window. From thyme, chive, basil and rosmary to countless other herbs.

I dont know hwat they have going in your community, but here in New Orleans, they have several community gardens that all it takes is 2 saturdays a month of volunteer works will get you 2 bushel of various food crops you volunteer to take care of.

It is also a good way to learn the green thumb ways for when you are more economically sound and have the room to plant your own garden.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
i live in an apartment in brooklyn. i used to grow at my mom's yard in queens, but the yield just wasn't worth the effort. my tomato plants were especially paltry.

now i just buy organic from local farms. we have a farmer's market and many people are farming off their roof tops. buying isn't bad if you are thoughtful about who you are buying from and where it is coming from

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Everybody should grow something. Even if it's just mold on bread.

Watch it, study it, learn to manipulate it.

It makes us all better people.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I'm more interested in food forests. Get one established and just let nature do the rest. No need to grow crops, or rotate them, etc. I would be awesome to see a community established around a large food forest along with stands of bamboo for building material. Why expend all that energy maintaining and caring for crops when you can free up your time for relaxing?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I have a stockpile of seeds. I have everything from grasses to flowers and trees; including the veggies for eating. I have them because I am an avid gardener.

This year everything I plant has been taken, either some critter through the night or excessive winds drying them out to just down-right "failure to thrive". I can get germination but it is after that where I am running into trouble. I have even resorted to growing under a more protective area and still I have failures.

Additionally, I keep hurting my feet and my knees have suddenly decided to act up; nothing too extreme but enough to make me question what is happening. I believe that our bodies speak to us when things are wrong. For instance a stubbed toe could be telling us to "watch your step", or a "knee injury" can be telling us that we need to be more humbled.

So, after spending the entire Spring in complete frustration I had a long conversation with the Sun and this is what I was told. "Put your seeds away for now because I am about ready to wash you of your worries."

I decided to talk to the trees and they have been rude and not as forthright, they simply tell me that I am not "seeing my world as I should".

I then talked to the lake that I take care of and it told me, "I am dying so that I may be reborn again".

This is why I am not growing a garden this year. Instead I have been stocking up on canned goods and frozen foods. Perhaps this weekend I can go get more dehydrated items from the WholeFoods market. It is almost time to rest for the winter!

Blessings from Southern New Mexico!
edit on 6/22/2011 by Greensage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I love gardening, and have been maturing my garden.. tho it is small... I have apples, grapes. peaches and apricots (looking to get some pears and olives) and grow most veggies and herbs (in smallish numbers) intermingled with my flowers and it really makes my garden feel much, much more alive, especially when munching on one of my own strawberries (yum).. even have a few black honey bees as guests which make a wonderful addition

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join