It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: Has Al Qaeda's size and reach been blown out of proportion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The Christian Science Monitor has done some research stating that Al Qaeda may be more of the proverbial scapegoat for many other organizations, with their own regional objectives

www.csmonitor.com
Several recent attacks have been claimed by or attributed to the terrorist network, including an assault on a Jewish synagogue in Tunisia, multiple explosions in Yemen last month (including one at the US Embassy compound), attacks in the Philippines, and a fire in the Milan metro.

But is Al Qaeda really behind all these attacks? Analysts cite differences in modus operandi compared with alleged past attacks, as well as more probable perpetrators in those recent incidents. Still, Al Qaeda is likely to be the top suspect in future incidents. Victims, including states, may even blame Al Qaeda for political reasons, namely to gain US sympathy and support.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I personally believe that many of these orgaizations have very common goal and have the ability to collaborate with each other since they run within the same circles.

The danger impending from any organization really is due to the funding that is given to the individuals who carry out these tasks. One person can do alot of damage as long as they have the know how, money and determination to do it.

[edit on 10-8-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
You know that is good point,

When the attacks against US started in Iraq, I pointed out to my husband that I would bet that Al-queda was not the only group targeting soldiers in Iraq but they were hiding under that name.

This is a scary though because with all the terrorist alerts against Al-queda anybody with personal agendas can take advantage of this and blame it on then.

It will be very scary to have some crazy ones around doing all kind of things.

Remember after 9/11 the white powder? On the letters.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
In a way, i believe so.
9/11 was the best that they could do. I am not trying to minimize the loss of 3000 people, but it could have been much worse. The current administration, IMHO, is using "the War on Terror" for it's own political ends.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   
just to let you know this,,,

who says al quide whatever is not a secret force representing a group of wealthy people.

Think tiger........... Remember enron, okay how big was it, how wide spread did it go to funnel billions out of its regions..... right how many people brought it all down....??????

Remeber evil only has 1 leg to stand only thats why its so easy top topple, but truth stands firm on two legs,,,,

Al qaide is a well funded elite force of unregistered, un accountable remodelled, ex mercenaries who have had face lifts dental records destoyed, and finger prints altered or removed, easy hey, a bit of cash and BAM you have an elite group travelling thru open country hooking up witht he scum of the earth, and being helped on the outside by the funded wealthy who, use thier private army to scare the living S@#T out of poor innocent Dorks like you and me, well when I was 20 I guess, but know hey bro, forget it.

But one last secret thought is this,

Keep your friends close and your enimies closer..... search who lives like this and you'll see the light of truth as to your triangled US lead war on oil, chemical weapons, and 9/11 attacks, also a next question does osama know who kofi annan actually is, does the illuminati, really own the swiss banking system and back up the world bank, and WTO.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
IMHO al-qaeda have been link to many attacks which may or may not have been them, and this had led to the belief that they have a massive reach and can strike any where any time and there is nothing we can do, but be vigilant and aware of those around us.

Al-qaeda were ignored for years by the western intellingent agenices, only after 9/11 did they wake up and think oop's missed that one! and decided to invade afganistan, as the tailban were habouring obl & co.

So Our dear friends across the pond started pouring troops into the country to overthrow the tailban and capture those responable for 9/11.
so did they caputre anyone with any knowlegde? nope as they all left the country and spread out all over the world.

Al-qaeda have proved that they are capable of hitting many different targets, from new york to madrid and many other places, whether all terriost in the world are link to al-qaeda as we are led to belive i don't no, but they all have a simlair goal and nothing would surpize me if they talked to each other and even worked together, but as for a single head, not possible, that is the whole point of "cells" so if one cell get's broke up then they can't compremise the other cells.

Al-qaeda are a large network of terriost organizations who all share a simlar goal or idea,and many different groups will always fall under the umbrella of being labeled members of al-qaeda,as if the public knew about all the seperate groups with a grudge against the western world then they would panic and live in constant fear of an attack. So the people in charge of telling us these fact decide that it's easier to say al-qaeda as it's a case of better the devil u know.

So in someways they get the blame for everything, but they arn't moaning about being fasley accused of this attack or that kidnapping,as it helps them recuirt and gives them good press in those countries that support such groups

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I remember reading a while back on some news site talking about the terrorist groups world wide and their potential size. They believed Al Qaeda to be in the realm of 200 to 300 people as I recall.

As I said earlier, ONE PERSON can do ALOT of damage. Al Qaeda's true reach, as EternalLeaderof Truth stated, is that they do hook up with the scum of the earth and they are well funded. They can find any ol crazy who is in it for the money to pull off something extravagent. We like to group all these people under the same name 'Al Qaeda'. Unfortunatly though 9/11 opened up a pandora's box IMHO and this is why we see such violence. Of course Iraq didnt help either but I am not going to get off topic. When this pandoras box was opened it most likely helped solidify support and some communications line between other organized militants. Again we group them under the big name's Al Qarda, Hamas, Martyrs Brigade and a couple of the others I cannot think of off the top of my head.

The big question is if the threat is being overstated. I think not, they have the cash, the training, the means and the determination. As long as they get one A-hole to come up in a building and blow himself up, we will start to get back in the same crux we were following 9/11.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The Christian Science Monitor

ok first lol at that place...Isnt christian and science a oxy-moron??

Its possible that al-queda is smaller or at least less oraganized then we have been lead to believe.

But occording to our own media any publicity is good publicity so its possible that al-qaeda grows in proportion with the amount of coverage they get from the international media.

new topics

top topics

join