It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst violence in years happening in Northern Ireland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Second night of riots in Northern Ireland

Hundreds involved in sectarian clashes and police vans attacked in worst violence in Belfast in years.

Sectarian clashes involving hundreds of people continued for a second night in Northern Ireland in the worst violence in the province in years, police said.

A press photographer was shot in the leg and two other people suffered burns on Tuesday evening as up to 700 people threw fireworks, petrol bombs and other missiles at each other in a Catholic enclave in east Belfast.

Police fired stun grenades as clashes broke out and groups of hooded and masked men pelted each other with stones and missiles, and many attacked police vans.

Traitors started it :

The violence first erupted on Monday after suspected Protestant gangs, who support British rule in the province, attacked homes overnight in Short Strand, a Catholic district in mostly Protestant east Belfast, local officials said.

Sorry but when you support foreign rule over your country, you're a traitor. I hope they get their butts kicked.

Go Ireland!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Traitors started it :

The violence first erupted on Monday after suspected Protestant gangs, who support British rule in the province, attacked homes overnight in Short Strand, a Catholic district in mostly Protestant east Belfast, local officials said.

Sorry but when you support foreign rule over your country, you're a traitor. I hope they get their butts kicked.

Go Ireland!

Grow up.

The majority of people living in Northern Ireland support being part of the union. That's kind of why the name ''Northern Ireland'' describes a political entity, rather than a geographical location.

Do you believe in forcibly handing over parts of the world to other countries, ignoring the wishes of the people who reside in those areas, because of some anachronistic and obnoxious racist ideals ?

Let's return the USA to the Sioux, Choctaw, Mohawk and other pre-Columbian nations... Go American Indians !

edit on 22-6-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Where there is no emotion, there's no motive for violence.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Double Post

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Growing up in London in the 70's I remember the bombings. Was almost a victim of one such attack. Long story, another time.
I hnestly don't know if or when this will ever end peacefully.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I don't find it surprising that after watching the news footage that the clashes were mostly between young men, between the ages of about 16 - 20 wearing hoodies and scarves.

This is less to do with British rule, religion or any other factor, it's just a bunch of hooligans. If it wasn't using this "political" reason for violence it would be football or something else.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit
I don't find it surprising that after watching the news footage that the clashes were mostly between young men, between the ages of about 16 - 20 wearing hoodies and scarves.

This is less to do with British rule, religion or any other factor, it's just a bunch of hooligans. If it wasn't using this "political" reason for violence it would be football or something else.

Spot on, Mister_Bit.

Young unemployed men living in less well-off neighbourhoods rioting and attacking police. Whatever next ?!

Everyone who I've ever spoken to who has hailed from Northern Ireland aren't really too bothered about religious denominations or national rule.

While those two factors may be involved in forming a group identity, the largest problem involving society in Northern Ireland is ''social apartheid'' - an issue which has been positively addressed over the last two decades, and an issue which will continue to be addressed in the foreseeable future.

new topics

top topics

join