It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice to help someone to begin meditating?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I would really like to begin meditating, I'm currently at a point where I think it could really benefit me, I don't want to get into too many details but I feel meditation may help(I really hope so). I've never meditated before, so if I could get some advice on how to begin and what music to have playing at the time and whatnot that would be fantastic. I really want to give meditation a go, people who've done it seem very "aware" if you will.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
A good starting point for me has been Mindfulness in Plain English. It's a whole book, released for free online, and does a decent job of living up to its title.

In addition, I "meditate" through psychology, basically reading psychology books and applying them to myself, trying to understand myself. Two of my absolute favorites for this are:

Our Inner Conflicts
Neurosis and Human Growth

Check out their reviews on Amazon to get a sense of what they've done for people. Unfortunately I don't think they're available free (though I could be wrong).

This thread is my own testimonial on the latter book, but I actually recommend reading the former first because the latter builds on it.

edit on 22-6-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by shadowland8

Well for me I meditate coloring mandalas:

Theres many different kinds you can find everywhere like stained glass windows and nature itself. The deep but relaxed concentration on one thing is very peaceful for that time im coloring. Hours will pass and I won't notice one bit. Its been a beneficial thing for me since I do have a very active mind and have suffered from insomnia for 14 years. Theres many ways to meditate, and its good to find one suited to your tastes. Personally I cant do the sit down and be quiet and silent thing, it allows my thoughts to run rampant and uncontrolled, where as my thoughts while coloring are only on color selection and staying within the lines. Brings clarity to my daily chaos that is my mind.
To me music is also a form of meditation for me, it organizes my brain, all I focus on is the instruments and learn to tune out the voices. I like to pick out the individual instruments and focus on them to "bring them out" of the other instruments I hear, making them seem more pronounced and relevant. I look forward to seeing some of the other ways people meditate as well.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Sit down, shut up and breathe. That's it, now nothing happens. Seriously, I would suggest that you go to the library and check out Herrigel's "Zen In The Art of Archery" before proceeding further. You are about to receive a lot of replies that will get you extremely confused. Some of them will be potentially dangerous, and can lead you down a path of self delusion, which is the opposite of the goal of meditation. I personally recommend Soto Zen, Chan or Tibetan Dzogchen meditation. Do some research and ignore the flakes.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I personally do not use music, sounds, or scents to meditate.

May I suggest focusing on your breathing. Slow and steady breaths. Become aware of your breathing and focus on it.

As thoughts, memories, images, or songs appear in your mind, do not think about them, engage them, or dwell upon them. Do not think about not-thinking about the thought. Snap out of engaging the thought and focus on your breathing.

If you are having trouble clearing your mind of thoughts, imagine you are at a rail-road crossing as a train crosses. Imagine each distracting thought as an individual boxcar of the train. Be aware of it, do not fight it, observe it, and allow it to pass out of your awareness. Or imagine you are sitting by a river. Imagine each distracting thought as a leaf drifting in the water. The leaf comes into view and is carried down stream and out of sight by the current. Do not add to the thought, and do not think about 'not thinking.' Allow the thoughts to arise and pass, acknowledged but not engaged.

In my personal opinion, further meditative techniques should not be tried until you are able and comfortable with focusing on your breathing and clearing your mind of distractive thoughts. The ability to 'not think' will give your brain a rest, relieve stress, and re-energize you like a good nap.

Meditation takes effort, practice, patience, dedication, trial and error. Give yourself 10-30 minutes of quiet alone time each day to meditate until you start to get the hang of it.

I hope this helps. May you meditate well

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

Sit down, shut up and breathe. That's it, now nothing happens. Seriously, I would suggest that you go to the library and check out Herrigel's "Zen In The Art of Archery" before proceeding further. You are about to receive a lot of replies that will get you extremely confused. Some of them will be potentially dangerous, and can lead you down a path of self delusion, which is the opposite of the goal of meditation. I personally recommend Soto Zen, Chan or Tibetan Dzogchen meditation. Do some research and ignore the flakes.

Using the mind as a weapon? I guess that would be the path of self delusion....

edit on 22-6-2011 by eyespying because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
You don't need much instruction to get started.

I started with sitting comfortably, matching my inhales to the same length as my exhales, and focusing on a word or two-word phrase that I concentrate on as I breathe. I meditate after yoga because I'm already a bit relaxed from that, and I know when I've done it long enough, because I achieve a state of peace that doesn't come any other way.

It's more about taking your time, not rushing, and continuing to breathe. The concentration on a single word or phrase is just to keep your mind from skipping around to things like which bills are due.

I really don't understand all this "painting is meditation" stuff - no disrespect meant. Sketching relaxes me tremendously, because it slows me down & makes me concentrate, and I can't think about other things too much. BUT - it's not the same as meditation.

edit on 22-6-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Keep it Simple.

Try not to fill your head with everyone else's Beliefs.

If you read, then read using your gut feeling not the thoughts of Beliefs.

If you go down the well worn path of many thousands of other people, you will only experience what they do and nothing more.

What you seek is inside you, so that's where you have to look.

And practice as if naked.. meaning to practice with No Beliefs, No Concepts of what is or should be.. All Beliefs are Limitations to what you can experience of the far wider reality around us.

Don't Follow.. forge your own path.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

Meditation comes in the form most suitable for the individual. Like I explained, I need that one thought to concentrate on so I can not think about it....its sounds odd but its how my mind works. 15 thoughts running through my head, and im trying to think of them all at once is chaotic. But having one simple thought, easy to set aside and not consciously think about is peaceful for me. Applying rules and steps to meditation only makes it counterproductive for me. Meditation isnt about the process for me its about the calm and peace I get from it, and if one gets that peace of mind, clarity and calm from painting, who is to say that they aren't meditating, who makes the rules on this?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
When I meditate, I find it helpful to visualize putting all my thoughts (including the thoughts of being in a body) in a box with a heavy lid and closing the lid temporarily. I also visualize giving the box over to my 'higher-self' (who will know what to do with them).

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I can meditate while I sleep. Sometimes I dont even realize I'm doing it and I'll end up astral and be like completely put out by the whole saturation.

edit on 22-6-2011 by Samuelis because: forgot to put capitol I

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I have been meditating for a few years. I typically just sit, close my eyes, and focus on breathing. The thing to remember is that you're trying to sit still. That means sit, don't move even mentally. Your mind is going to continue to race with thoughts, but the goal is to let the thoughts pass by and not to grasp at any of them. Be still. It's really boring at first, but after a while you'll come to appreciate the 10, 20, 30 minutes of quiet and stillness.

As a nice helpful guide, I find this podcast (just skip to and listen to the 3rd lecture);

webcast.berkeley.edu...

Best of luck. Enjoy it. Don't let anyone tell you exactly how it should be done, or force you to add any type of religious motivation behind it. This is a self learning experience.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The most helpful advice I can give:

Breath Deep
Clear you mind
and just let it happen

Your eyes can be closed or open whatever works best for you. When Im outside I like to meditate with my eyes open, especially at night, staring at the stars really triggers deep self contemplation for me. I've found it easier to meditate in nature near trees, plants etc. Its just easier to let go.. for me. Something about the natural energies of the earth below me I find very comforting, you will most likely at some point realize how alive the ground below you is. there is a profound difference between the energy that comes from the dirt and grass compared man made objects like concrete, carpeting etc.

Listening to other peoples techniques can be intimidating and confusing, dont make meditation this big wall you feel you have to climb over every time your getting ready to meditate. Do what feels right, you know what to do..dont tell me you don't.

The biggest mistake I made was looking outside Myself. Listening to other peoples techniques and trying to execute them properly will just slow you down (in the beginning at least). I came to realize what I was doing in the VERY beginning before I began reading about 'how to meditate' was more helpful than any advice someone could give me.

As you practice you WILL progress you don't need others to tell you anything..it just kind of comes...I've been there. Your insights and feelings will get stronger just stick with it. Everyone progresses differently.

Also, dont set a time limit, dont let someone tell you you should meditate for X amount of time. Do what feels right some days youl want to meditate longer/shorter than others.

edit on 28-6-2011 by ZacharyW because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
There is a lot of ways to meditate but this is my technique:
- I lay down (I have a bad back so sitting is uncomfortable)
- Close my eyes (If lights are out, I'll leave them open and look at the tip of my nose so I don't fall asleep)
- Pull my energy inside of my body and I'll take a few deep breaths.
- Once 'centered' I will listen for a tone. (This tone is always there but most of the time we don't pay attention to it)
- Continue to listen to this tone and listen for other tones that harmonize with it (You'll find thoughts popping into your head but let them pass, just listen for the tones)

Soon you'll hear several tones and it sometimes sounds like thousands of people are singing. Try to relax but since you are new, you may experience nausea or a spinning feeling. You may feel pressure in your head/brow. Your body may also spasm and tremor.

Do Not Worry!! These are actually signs that you are getting a stage of relaxation that you have not experienced in waking or sleeping state. Practicing meditation can give you levels of relaxation that are more beneficial than hours of deep sleep.

Good luck and I hope you give my technique a shot, it works for me and everyone I have told so far.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

Where do you get you mandalas from? It's been difficult for me to find good printable ones. But as for the op, mandalas were available when I was in a hospital going through a really rough time. They were the only thing that allowed me to get out of my head when some things in my mind got a little mixed up. In my experience they are a lot more effective than empty mind meditation.
edit on 28-6-2011 by RightInTwo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
You must watch this video if you havent yet.

"Meditation if you want to call it that, better not to a call it anything, its not to do with doing,its not a doing, its a realization that you are of being"
edit on 28-6-2011 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
alot of bullcrap for a newbi.

dude just do nothing and never mind that asto p bs crapola and if you start thinking or a thought pops into your head just push it away by thinking the words "Thinking" Thinking" Thinking" . thats all

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
There are a lot of different ways to meditate, do what feels right for you. Get a book on meditation and think about the concepts in the book, like 'emptiness' if you're reading a Buddhist book or "the Good" if you're reading Western philosophy. Meditation is about transcending the body.
edit on 29-6-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join