It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Uncover Ruins of Crusader City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

This photo taken on Sunday June, 19, 2011, shows a tunnel built by knights of the Templar order under the old port city of Acre, on the Mediterranean coast in northern Israel.

ACRE, Israel – Off the track beaten by most Holy Land tourists lies one of the richest archaeological sites in a country full of them: the walled port of Acre, where the busy alleys of an Ottoman-era town cover a uniquely intact Crusader city now being rediscovered.

Etched in plaster on one wall was a coat of arms -- graffiti left by a medieval traveler. Nearby was a main street of cobblestones and a row of shops that once sold clay figurines and ampules for holy water, popular souvenirs for pilgrims. All were last used by residents in 1291, the year a Muslim army from Egypt defeated Acre's Christian garrison and leveled its remains.

The Hospitalier Maréchal Guillaume de Clermont defending the walls at the Siege of Acre, 1291

The existing city, built by the Ottoman Turks around 1750, effectively preserved this earlier town, which had been hidden for centuries under the rubble. "It's like Pompeii of Roman times -- it's a complete city," said Eliezer Stern, the Israeli archaeologist in charge of Acre. He called the town "one of the most exciting sites in the world of archaeology."

Acre has existed for at least 4,500 years, but reached the height of its importance with the Crusader conquest in 1104. Under Christian rule, the city became an unruly trading hub home to combative orders of soldier-monks, European factions that distrusted each other and sometimes fought in the streets, competing merchants from cities like Genoa, Venice and Pisa, and small populations of Jews and Muslims, all sharing an enclosed area that at its height was barely the size of two football fields. A French bishop, Jacques de Vitry, reached Acre after a perilous sea journey in 1216. He was appalled. "When I entered this horrible city and found it full of countless disgraceful acts and evil deeds, I was very confused in my mind," he wrote in a letter home. Acre, he found, was "totally depraved." Murders took place constantly, the town was "filled with prostitutes," and residents -- many of whom he believed to be outlaws who had fled their own lands -- were "utterly devoted to pleasures of the flesh."

Medieval rendering of the 1291 Siege of Acre
Source: www.foxnews.com...

As I always say... we just haven't dug deep enough yet. So much lays below that we can't even begin to imagine.

Great work. I bet the workers on this site are just loving it. I can't wait to see a video about the finds and history.

Sounds like it was a fun town off the beaten path... back in the day.

Any of our ATS experts known much about this find and/or history? thanks in advance. Off to find more about it for this thread.

edit on 6/22/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/22/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Excellent post, I'm a huge fan of archeology! can't wait to learn more about this ancient city.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Execellent find! I love archeological finds like this. Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I have been looking but finding just about nothing.

They must have kept this under wraps pretty well.

I'll keep looking.

Any ATS member in Israel that may have some ideas as to where find additional info...? much appreciated.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
i know acre has a lot to offer historians...there is a magnitude of preserved sites from the key period, 2000 years ago.

i personally would say, that area was as significant as damascus was...but more heavily influenced by the crusade.

p.s. on a side note, i swear acre was a level in "assasins creed" (the first one)....that game was designed for ats users...lol those that have played it would know what i mean

peace

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

i swear acre was a level in "assasins creed" (the first one)....that game was designed for ats users

I want to know more Sir. Did the game require knowledge of the area/history ect?

You got my interest.

And... welcome back.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

It was a city and I think one of the later cities after damascus or something. Game was amazing and im a history buff I enjoyed it on two levels.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Man, I can not find anything else on this site/story.

Any ATSer over there able to find out some more for me/us.

If you live near there, get some photos/vids please.

The wife is hot on this one for some reason.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
While im still digging for the up to date digging of the new section, heres some stuff I found on the already discovered part. The website for the tunnels (apparently theres a fee) and a small video of one:

Acre Templar Tunnels

Another website with photos of the city above and tunnels below, and a longer tourist video. Im a bit saddened by how modernized it is for tours and such, it takes away from the history of that site.

Travel Israel

edit on 23-6-2011 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2011 by topherman420 because: added more

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Actually, it is known for decades tat there are crusader-age ruins under modern Acre (Akko). First traces were found,ironically, when arrested Jewish resistance members tried to dig out from British prison and dug into some huge place with columns below.
Then there are archeological digs since 1950s,you can actually visit the city and travel under it, but of course not all is open to tourists.
Official site of Israeli foreign ministry about Acre :
www.mfa.gov.il...
On side note - there are very few places in Israel or in the Middle East in general where if you dig deep enough you will not find archeological remains or oil.
Israel lacks oil but has lots of archeology. The thing is that people who live above ground level do not like when someone digs under their property for all kinds of weird reasons.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

i swear acre was a level in "assasins creed" (the first one)....that game was designed for ats users

I want to know more Sir. Did the game require knowledge of the area/history ect?

You got my interest.

the game was soo deep...the game revovled around three cities...Acre, Damascus and Jerausalem. unbelievable graphics of the cities
in the game acre was a coastal city, a port, filled with templars, they made it look like a fortified city....in some of the missions you have to go there to assasinate the top french templars, like William de Montferrat & Garnier de Naplouse etc

scenario...you are a normal dude, from the present taken by a corporation, (masons = ancient templars)...they lay you into a machine that makes your dna cells bleed into eachother.. resulting in your bloodline to your ancients relatives, becomes open to your brain..the game starts in the crusades, in lebanon/palestine...your part of a secret brotherhood...an assasins brotherhood...you kill templars, turks, arabs...to find the "orb"...its a map of globe with key areas....game ends when you see it..your brought back to the present and TPTB use the map for world dominance.
but when they bring you back...you keep your third eye,...king richard,solimans temple, crusador, 2012/templar and world elite referances throughout....excellent game

the three ancient cities are unbeleivably good....google it, loads of info

And... welcome back.

i didnt realise i left... but thanx

top topics

join